Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeland Security Issuing Its Own DMCA Takedowns On YouTube To Stifle Speech

Homeland Security Issuing Its Own DMCA Takedowns On YouTube To Stifle Speech

from the seems-questionable... dept

We recently wrote about the fight over copyright/fair use in political videos. In the comments, someone anonymous pointed us to a YouTube page including a typical takedown notice.. Here's a screenshot.
[Image: dOBcE.png]This is actually the first time I can recall that I've seen a takedown that had "multiple" takedown notices. So it's interesting that YouTube even has such an error message. But what really caught my attention was the second claimant listed. United States Department of Homeland Security. Homeland Security? Issuing copyright takedowns? For what it's worth, the commenter who submitted this pointed us to another video, which they claim is the same as what was taken down. I have no idea if it's the same video or not, but it is some idiotic conspiracy mongering, taking one comment from a reporter completely out of context, and pretending President Obama said it, when he did not. I never understand conspiracy theories like that, but that's really neither here nor there.

The real question is why is Homeland Security issuing takedowns? Works produced by the federal government, of course, can't have copyright. However, it is possible for the government to hold copyrights -- mainly if someone else gets it and assigns it to the government. So it's possible that happened here, though it still seems like a strange move. If the video is the same as the other one pointed to, it's just conspiracy theory claptrap, and I don't see why DHS would even bother issuing a takedown.

But, even if we assume that the copyright itself and the takedown were legit, does this seem reasonable at all? Having a government agency directly using a copyright claim to take down a video? Especially when that group is DHS -- in which national internet censor ICE exists. Giving it the power to censor videos too just seems like it's going way too far. It's not as if Homeland Security is going to bring the work "to market" to make money, so it's not like there's an "impact on the market" for the work. The only reason to issue the takedown -- no matter how accurate the claim is -- is to silence speech. A government organization using a government-granted monopoly to stifle speech may be all too common, but that doesn't mean it should pass by unremarked upon.

I reached out to people at YouTube to see if they could explain why DHS appears to be issuing DMCA takedowns, and got back the equivalent of a "no comment." I also reached out to Homeland Security, who at first seemed interested in looking into the details and then completely stopped responding to emails. Having not received further communication from them in over a week at this point, I'm just going with the post as is, in the hopes that maybe someoneout there can explain why the federal government is using copyright to censor speech?
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/2012072...eech.shtml
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Quote:Having not received further communication from them in over a week at this point, I'm just going with the post as is, in the hopes that maybe someoneout there can explain why the federal government is using copyright to censor speech?

Because they can?

EDIT: Because they feel like it and just who will stop them?
"We'll know our disinformation campaign is complete when everything the American public believes is false." --William J. Casey, D.C.I

"We will lead every revolution against us." --Theodore Herzl
Quote:taking one comment from a reporter completely out of context, and pretending President Obama said it, when he did not. I never understand conspiracy theories like that,
That's the bread and butter of political ads and sometimes PR campaigns on other topics, and most of talking-head-mud-wrestling radio/TV, as well.....the government is not going to stop them....they are behind them [at least the same people are behind them and the USG - in spirit, when not in fact]

At this point, the USG is so sick I think 'euthanasia' is the kindest and likely only way of cure. Just say NO!
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Quote:Homeland Security? Issuing copyright takedowns?

Yup. Volkland Security has no legitimate business whatsoever in issuing copyright claims.

The only thing the Volkland Security Complex can justifiably claim copyright over is Psychological Operations.

Aka psyops.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Jan Klimkowski Wrote:
Quote:Homeland Security? Issuing copyright takedowns?

Yup. Volkland Security has no legitimate business whatsoever in issuing copyright claims.

The only thing the Volkland Security Complex can justifiably claim copyright over is Psychological Operations.

Aka psyops.

Politely know in the beltway-newspeak as 'mission creep'.....
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lies And Truth: Obama’s UNGA Speech Dissected – F. William Engdahl Paul Rigby 1 4,969 08-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  Great Film About The American Propaganda-Media-National Security-Corporate Complex Peter Lemkin 2 4,945 15-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Last Post: R.K. Locke
  Turkey False-Flag Operation Against Syria Exposed - Youtube Blocked In Turkey Peter Lemkin 3 4,240 02-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Syrian Al Qaida planning to attack the US Homeland... David Guyatt 1 2,346 30-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Homeland Security Given Green Light to Monitor American Journalists Magda Hassan 11 6,906 27-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  EPIC v. Department of Homeland Security: Media Monitoring Ed Jewett 1 2,801 21-01-2012, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Latest Seizures Of Domain Names Again Suggests Homeland Security Is Twisting The Law Magda Hassan 4 3,105 01-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  "Homeland is an American psychological thriller television series" Ed Jewett 0 3,174 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  Man Indicted for Using Right to Free Speech Magda Hassan 0 2,443 26-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Brzezinski Decries “Global Political Awakening” During CFR Speech Ed Jewett 1 3,386 19-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby