Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great old video on Propaganda [Public Relations] - Corporatism - Politics - Control!

The Century Of The Self

This would NEVER NEVER appear on mainstream American TV. Period.

A compiled 4 episode series including authentic recordings and video footage (some of which is disturbing)of the history and power of mass manipulation for war, oppression, fear and commercial means produced for the BBC. This is the cat-out-of-the-bag documentary that suspiciously disappeared from the national consciousness for very obvious reasons. Probably too long to watch in one sitting, it is recommended to view by episode.

Truly jaw-dropping!. Watch attentively and realise how you are just a lab rat.

To many in both business and government, the triumph of the self is the ultimate expression of democracy, where power is truly moved into the hands of the people. Certainly the people may feel they are in charge, but are they really? The Century of the Self by Adam Curtis tells the untold and controversial story of the growth of the mass-consumer society. How is the all-consuming self created, by whom, and in whose interest?

The Freud dynasty is at the heart of this compelling social history. Sigmund Freud, founder of psychoanalysis; Edward Bernays, who invented public relations; Anna Freud, Sigmund's devoted daughter; and present-day PR guru and Sigmund's great grandson, Matthew Freud. Sigmund Freud's work into the bubbling and murky world of the subconscious changed the world. By introducing a technique to probe the unconscious mind, Freud provided useful tools for understanding the secret desires of the masses. Unwittingly, his work served as the precursor to a world full of political spin doctors, marketing moguls, and society's belief that the pursuit of satisfaction and happiness is man's ultimate goal....

Part 1-Happiness Machines:
Part one documents the story of the relationship between Sigmund Freud and his American nephew, Edward Bernays who invented 'Public Relations' in the 1920s, being the first person to take Freud's ideas to manipulate the masses. He showed American corporations how they could make people want things they didn't need by systematically linking mass-produced goods to their unconscious desires.

Part 2-The Engineering of Consent:
Part two explores how those in power in post-war America used Freud's ideas about the unconscious mind to try and control the masses. Politicians and planners came to believe Freud's underlying premise that deep within all human beings were dangerous and irrational desires. They were convinced that it was the unleashing of these instincts that had led to the barbarism of Nazi Germany, and in response to this, they set out to find ways to control the masses so as to manage the 'hidden enemy' within the human mind.

Part 3-There is a Policeman Inside All Our Heads, He Must Be Destroyed:
In the 1960s, a radical group of psychotherapists challenged the influence of Freudian ideas, which lead to the creation of a new political movement that sought to create 'new people', free of the psychological conformity that had been implanted in people's minds by business and politics. This episode shows how this idea rapidly developed in America through "self-help movements", into the irresistible rise of the expressive self: the Me Generation.

Part 4-Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering:
This episode explains how politicians turned to the same techniques used by business in order to read and manipulate the inner desires of the masses. Both New Labor with Tony Blair and the Democrats led by Bill Clinton, used the focus group which had been invented by psychoanalysts in order to regain power. Both set out to mold their policies to manipulate people's innermost desires and feelings, just as capitalism had learned to do with products.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
- edited -
Charlie Prima Wrote:
Peter Lemkin Wrote:Watch attentively and realise how you are just a lab rat.

I agree. This is a Must-See documentary.

Problem is, I hate watching TV on the computer. Here's how I watch tons of videos from my couch.

1. Get a laptop or little nettop computer with HDMI output. Run a cable from that to your TV.

2. Buy this usb dongle which allows you to control your computer with your TV remote: http://flirc.tv

3. Install Download Helper http://www.downloadhelper.net and XBMC http://xbmc.org

I could never go back to just normal cable television. I get most of my documentaries from http://topdocumentaryfilms.com and http://concen.org/tracker and http://kat.ph
Thanks for the 'How to' Charles. I am in the process of setting this up at home so we can do the same. Much more comfortable and a bigger screen :thumbsup:
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
And , yes! An excellent series, as are all of Adam Curtis' documentaries.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
- edited -
Oh, wow! Thank you, more goodness to check out :thumbsup:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Zappa on Politics in the USA.... Peter Lemkin 4 8,831 21-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Great New Shows On Telesur - Chris Hedges & Abby Martin & More... Peter Lemkin 3 11,403 25-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Welcome to Nulandistan: Propaganda and the Crisis in Ukraine Paul Rigby 1 4,152 30-05-2014, 01:00 AM
  GREAT New Film On History Of Black Power Movement and Oppression Against It! Peter Lemkin 0 3,161 06-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Worth Saving - Video - "All Wars Are Bankers' Wars" Adele Edisen 1 3,235 12-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  Nazis, UFOs, and Antarctica... A Strange Video Adele Edisen 8 7,637 13-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jan van den Baard
  ICH: "Greed Has Poisoned Men Souls!" - Charlie Chaplin's speech in "The Great Dictator" film Adele Edisen 4 5,331 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  Propaganda | full english version (2012) Danny Jarman 2 3,515 16-07-2012, 11:29 AM
  Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land. US Media and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. Magda Hassan 0 2,396 23-04-2012, 07:31 AM
  jfk assassination films-malcolm couch tom alyea - Video Dailymotion Bernice Moore 0 2,463 12-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Bernice Moore