Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did the studio at Wonderland Avenue do?
Paul Rigby Wrote:Additionally, I wonder, not being familiar with or fond of Kubrick's films, if there are any references to Dallas in his work?

Sort of a roundabout reference:

Quote:A first test screening of the film was scheduled for November 22, 1963, the day of the John F. Kennedy assassination. The film was just weeks from its scheduled premiere, but because of the assassination the release was delayed until late January 1964, as it was felt that the public was in no mood for such a film any sooner.

One line by Slim Pickens – "a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff" – was dubbed to change "Dallas" to "Vegas," Dallas being the city where Kennedy was killed. The original reference to Dallas survives in some foreign language-dubbed versions of the film, including the French release.

The assassination also serves as another possible reason why the pie-fight scene was cut. In the scene General Turgidson exclaims, "Gentlemen! Our gallant young president has been struck down in his prime!" after Muffley takes a pie in the face. Editor Anthony Harvey states that "[the scene] would have stayed, except that Columbia Pictures were horrified, and thought it would offend the president's family."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove

Also, I remember someone calling Slim Pickens "Tex" in the film, but wiki isn't backing me up here.

Quote:Slim Pickens as Major T.J. "King" Kong, the B-52 Stratofortress bomber's commander and pilot. His name is a reference to the character 'T.J.' in the popular children's TV show Tom Corbett, Space Cadet and obviously King Kong.

Tom Corbett was also a radio serial and probably a comic book too (I forget). Also, Slim Pickens was born Louis Burton Lindley, Jr. in "The Swedish Village" of Kingsburg, Fresno County, California.

In Strangelove Kubrick is poking some fun at William Shirer as well as everyone else. Jack D. Ripper is a parody of Shirer's concerns about both fluoridated water and Project Paperclip. He's also parodying the US government's involvement with the Nazi scientists, obviously, in the person of Dr. Strangelove.

There are some other wild interpretations of The Shining, colorful and spacey, touching on the borders of mind control, see Physical Cosmologies: The Shining (very long, very cryptic, in six installments in poor English)

One rather amazing thing Kubrick, or probably Stephen King, did was to pick up on the children's meme of redrum while it was still current in the first half of the 1970s. It was connected with mirror games such as Bloody Mary and Marco Polo, which involved verbal repititions in darkened rooms to cause an hallucination in a mirror of a bloodied human head. The last link goes into the theme of mirrors in what it calls the glyph language Kubrick invented for The Shining.

Messages In This Thread
What did the studio at Wonderland Avenue do? - by Helen Reyes - 31-10-2009, 09:53 PM