Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The role of the UN
Quote:Quote:Originally Posted by Myra Bronstein
Maggie,

Are you of the opinion that the UN is good?
Or at least not bad?

I ask because so many progressive types I've talked to think the UN is pure evil. And I really don't know, but from what I've seen they don't act evil, and seem to have a lot of good people on staff.

If this is a digression feel free to start a new thread. I'm very very curious about the UN.

Thanks.

Dawn replied:
Conspiracy folks on the right tend to hate the UN. The whole New World Order stuff.

I'd be willing to discuss the UN, but think it needs to be seen not as one 'thing', but representing both the top-down elite's wishes [mostly expressed in their veto power in the Security Council] and the bottom-up view [expressed more in the General Assembly]. My uncle spent the later part of his life physically in [in an unofficial capacity] the UN most days. I met many delegates and more staff and think I have a pretty good 'fix' on the institution. Those with power have kept those with less from making the UN into something most in the world would like it to become. Also keep in mind the US had one of the first Secretary General's killed IMO, as he wouldn't tow their line on some issues. That was Dag Hammerskjold, who died rather mysteriosly in a plane crash. Other Secretary Generals have been found to have had their offices bugged [real advantage to having it in New York] and thus controlled and outfoxed..... There is more.

Messages In This Thread
The role of the UN - by Myra Bronstein - 28-11-2008, 04:38 AM
The role of the UN - by Magda Hassan - 28-11-2008, 11:08 AM
The role of the UN - by Dawn Meredith - 28-11-2008, 12:34 PM
The role of the UN - by Magda Hassan - 28-11-2008, 12:58 PM
The role of the UN - by Peter Lemkin - 28-11-2008, 01:35 PM
The role of the UN - by Charles Drago - 28-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Haiti's Cholera Outbreak: The Role of the UN then, and now. Drew Phipps 2 5,327 18-08-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  The US Role in South Sudan Carsten Wiethoff 3 4,474 09-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  The Krasniqi clan. Nice family. Role models. Links with US Kosovo and Albanian governments Magda Hassan 0 7,395 05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan