Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum Weirdness
Ed Jewett Wrote:What is the transport vehicle to a different time and place?

I can't speak about the rest of what you wrote Ed, it's well beyond me - but I have some ideas for ruminating on a rainy night concerning the "transportation" matter.

Jung developed a technique called "active imagination" which can be read about in his bio Memories, Dreams and Reflections. His close friend and Analyst, Barbara Hannah, who was my own analysts teacher, wrote about it in her book Jung: His Life and Works. I have never seen it discussed elsewhere although I was encouraged to use it by my "way-shower". Probably because she knew I had already a well developed facility gained under other tuition prior to the time I met her.

Techniques for this have been around for a very long time indeed. Generally speaking, it has always been the case that eastern meditation techniques are not so suitable to western minds, and so there were established western techniques of equal value. For a very long time these techniques were kept completely secret and there are very sound reasons for this. Accessing what we might call the Collective Unconscious is not without its dangers. For example, one wouldn't hand a loaded shotgun to someone who might be emotionally unstable or give the ignition keys to a sport car to someone registered blind. The consequences for doing so can be greater than self damage, which is bad enough of course, but others can get damaged too. And I think, historically, there were also considerations of misuse and abuse - because just like most skills these things can be used for good or for selfish ends.

A friend of mine tried against advice to engage in this, and to cut a longer story short, an intuitive voice commanded him to "go back". He was so thoroughly scared with the experience that he had the good sense to listen to his intutition. He wasn't ready for it. Had he continued he may well have suffered psychological effects he wasn't fit to handle.

I suppose a reasonable description of the individuation process (to use Jungian terminology) is a controlled neurosis. One reason why one of the all time healing symbol is the twin-spiral Caduceus of Hermeticism.

[Image: caduceus_th_008.jpg]

Jung said that: "The dream is a little hidden door in the innermost and most secret recesses of the soul, opening into that cosmic night which was psyche long before there was any ego- consciousness, and which will remain psyche no matter how far our ego-consciousness extends."

... "which was psyche long before there was any ego-consciousness, and which will remain psyche no matter how far our ego-consciousness extends."

Quite deep stuff. Imagine this psyche before man came along? Imagine it afterwards and into the future for ever and after.

The alchemical image in the foregoing link is called Dormiens Vigila, meaning Whilst Sleeping Watch! On a larger version of this picture you can see that these Latin words are inscribed on the lintel over the doors centred in the distance. Lintels seem to be a favourite place to inscribe the great secret. On Greek mystery temples the words "Gnothi Seaton" ("Know Thyself") were inscribed on the lintel of the entrance door so that every novice would pass beneath it. Most, of course, didn't even see it. And the few who did, hadn't the slightest idea what it implied. It was hidden in plain sight waiting for them to unveil it in their own consciousness with that small smile that accompanies subtle understanding.

It is that "little hidden door" that Jung discusses above that can be accessed with good technique and proper supervision. Again there are safety factors to be considered. Just stepping though that little hidden door without knowing the destination, without having a route map and driving lessons might be really very interesting with fabulous mind-numbing landscapes and creatures. It might be hell. Or worse! Who knows the deep. And the thing is that what you experience there, in that world of almost make believe, will usually come to pass here in our practical world. Albeit in a different way.

Probably the easiest way to begin "transportation" is to set out to learn to remember your dreams and write them down -- and then ruminate on their meaning (and read a little Jung to help understand the symbols that arise in dreams). It is an "indirect" method, but also quite powerful - as anyone who's had a full blown nightmare can attest. The thing I think that needs to also be understood about this is that the face you turn to the Unconscious, is the face that is reflected back at you. Serious honest and yes, polite, inquiry is mirrored back in the same manner. If fear, anger, arrogance and disrespect are the prevailing attitudes, then be prepared to face that in return. It ain't funny I shouldn't think.

For those wishing to delve deeper, the shadow confrontation is the next step and for that you'll usually need a good analyst or someone skilled in these matters (and good analysts are hard to find imo). Jung did it on his own, but he was Jung. My advice is to seek a good analyst/teacher. It's hard gruelling and psychologically difficult work and not something to pursue lightly. Speaking personally, my view is that more and more people may need to undergo this confrontation - or face it happening outside as fate. And that also ain't funny.

On anything more detailed than this I'd prefer to go off forum.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Messages In This Thread
Quantum Weirdness - by Ed Jewett - 25-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Quantum Weirdness - by Magda Hassan - 25-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Quantum Weirdness - by David Guyatt - 25-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Quantum Weirdness - by Ed Jewett - 25-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Quantum Weirdness - by Charles Drago - 25-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Quantum Weirdness - by Ed Jewett - 25-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Quantum Weirdness - by David Guyatt - 25-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Quantum Weirdness - by Ed Jewett - 26-03-2010, 01:38 AM
Quantum Weirdness - by David Guyatt - 26-03-2010, 12:21 PM