Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sixth Floor Museum and the Promotion of the Big Lie about JFK Assassination
Robert,

I was very interested in your point about academia and the JFK assassination. I teach a course a course on this topic in the Humanities program at the University of Minnesota. I am especially troubled by the lack of interest from such academic disciplines as History, Political Science, Sociology, American Studies, and Cultural Studies. The academics either ignore the assassination completely or soft-peddle the event with such clichés as "we'll probably never know the truth."

There are not enough academicians willing to tackle the issue, and much of the discourse from the allegedly distinguished mainstream authors is downright embarrassing. For example, there is really only one paragraph on the assassination in the otherwise outstanding popular biography of JFK written by Robert Dallek:

"Unimpeded by any law enforcement agency and animated by possibly nothing more than resentment against a symbol of the authority, success, and fame he craved and could never hope to achieve, Oswald fired three shots from the sixth-floor window of the Depository building at the president riding directly below in an open car. The second bullet struck Kennedy in the back of the neck. Were it not for a back brace, which held him erect, a third and fatal shot to the back of the head would not have found its mark. At 1:00 P.M. central time, half an hour after the attack, doctors at Dallas's Parkland Hospital told Mrs. Kennedy that the president was dead." --Robert Dallek, AN UNFINISHED LIFE--JOHN F. KENNEDY 1917-1963 (New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2003), p. 694.

The paragraph above is an exercise in obfuscation, and it merely repeats the errors of the Warren Commission. I would suspect that this précis is what is most frequently conveyed to today's university students in survey courses of American history.

Much work lies ahead in order to raise awareness of the significance of the assassination and to present the facts to future generations. At present, one of the major problems confronting students is the difficulty of locating those books and resources that will provide the evidence that will lead them to the truth. I commend you for your efforts to make some inroads at the Sixth Floor Museum.

James Norwood

Messages In This Thread
The Sixth Floor Museum and the Promotion of the Big Lie about JFK Assassination - by James Norwood - 07-08-2010, 04:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Current State Of Internet Assassination Discussion Brian Doyle 0 127 23-08-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  JFK Assassination: Sequence of Events ThomasPickering 5 2,443 20-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  The Carbine on the Sixth Floor Jim DiEugenio 0 2,438 09-03-2020, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  On the Trail of Clay Shaw:The Italian Undercover CIA and Mossad Station and the Assassination of JFK Paz Marverde 4 5,096 28-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Last Post: Paz Marverde
  Weisberg's trash-the-critics book 'Inside the Assassination Industry' Richard Booth 7 5,341 28-09-2019, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Richard Booth
  Mailer's Tales of the JFK Assassination Milo Reech 4 4,319 07-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Richard Coleman
  Collins Radio Connection to JFK Assassination - Bill Kelly (revised) Peter Lemkin 15 9,633 20-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  John Barbour: Averill Harriman ordered the assassination Lauren Johnson 30 30,723 18-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Cliff Varnell
  The Inheritance: Poisoned Fruit of JFK's Assassination Lauren Johnson 1 2,999 09-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  The Key To a Successful Assassination is Control of Communications..... Peter Lemkin 0 2,422 21-01-2019, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin