Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JFK and the Federal Reserve - A Historical Perspective
Franklin Roosevelt Memorandum to Cordell Hull, January 24, 1944 from Major Problems in American Foreign Policy, Volume II:
Since 1914, 4th edition, edited by Thomas G. Paterson and Dennis Merrill (Lexington, MA: D.C. Heath and Company, 1995), p. 189.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/fdrch.htm
I saw Halifax [Lord Halifax, British ambassador to the United States] last week and told him quite frankly that it was perfectly
true that I had, for over a year, expressed the opinion that Indo-China should not go back to France but that it should be
administered by an international trusteeship. France has had the country-thirty million inhabitants for nearly one hundred years,
and the people are worse off than they were at the beginning.

As a matter of interest, I am wholeheartedly supported in this view by Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek [of China] and by Marshal
Stalin. I see no reason to play in with the British Foreign Office in this matter. The only reason they seem to oppose it is that
they fear the effect it would have on their own possessions and those of the Dutch. They have never liked the idea of trusteeship
because it is, in some instances, aimed at future independence. This is true in the case of IndoChina.
Each case must, of course, stand on its own feet, but the case of Indo-China is perfectly clear. France has milked it for one
hundred years. The people of IndoChina are entitled to something better than that.

-----------------------

Franklin Roosevelt on French Rule in Indochina, Press Conference, February 23, 1945, from Major Problems in American Foreign Policy,
Volume II: Since 1914, 4th edition, edited by Thomas G. Paterson and Dennis Merrill (Lexington, MA: D.C. Heath and Company, 1995), p. 190.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/fdrpc.htm
With the Indo-Chinese, there is a feeling they ought to be independent but are not ready for it. I suggested at the time [19431, to Chiang,
that Indo-China be set up under a trusteeship--have a Frenchman, one or two Indo-Chinese, and a Chinese and a Russian because they are on
the coast, and maybe a Filipino and an American--to educate them for self-government. It took fifty years for us to do it in the Philippines.

Stalin liked the idea. China liked the idea. The British don't like it. It might bust up their empire, because if the Indo-Chinese were to
work together and eventually get their independence, the Burmese might do the same thing to England. The French have talked about how they
expect to recapture Indo-China, but they haven't got any shipping to do it with. It would only get the British mad. Chiang would go along.
Stalin would go along. As for the British, it would only make the British mad. Better to keep quiet just now.

--------------------------

Franklin Roosevelt Conversation with Charles Taussig on French Rule in Indochina, March 15, 1945, from Major Problems in American Foreign
Policy, Volume II: Since 1914, 4th edition, edited by Thomas G. Paterson and Dennis Merrill (Lexington, MA: D.C. Heath and Company, 1995), p. 190.

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/fdrct.htm
The President [FDR] said he was concerned about the brown people in the East. He said that there are 1,100,000,000 brown people. In many
Eastern countries, they are ruled by a handful of whites and they resent it. Our goal must be to help them achieve independence--1 ,100,000,000
potential enemies are dangerous. He said he included the 450,000,000 Chinese in that. He then added, Churchill doesn't understand this.
The President said he thought we might have some difficulties with France in the matter of colonies. I said that I thought that was quite
probable and it was also probable the British would use France as a "stalking horse."

I asked the President if he had changed his ideas on French Indo-China as he had expressed them to us at the luncheon with [British secretary
of state for the colonies Oliver] Stanley. He said no he had not changed his ideas; that French Indo-China and New Caledonia should be taken
from France and put under a trusteeship. The President hesitated a moment and then said--well if we can get the proper pledge from France to
assume for herself the obligations of a trustee, then I would agree to France retaining these colonies with the proviso that independence was
the ultimate goal. I asked the President if he would settle for self-government. He said no. I asked him if he would settle for dominion status.
He said no--it must be independence. He said that is to be the policy and you can quote me in the State Department.
Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.
John F. Kennedy

Messages In This Thread
JFK and the Federal Reserve - A Historical Perspective - by Gary Craig - 27-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2016 Election, Historical Amnesia and Deep Politics Jim DiEugenio 15 12,263 11-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Is this real or some sort of perspective trick? David Josephs 19 15,585 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  JFK remembered: Lansdale Historical Society hears stories, memories of Kennedy’s assassination Bernice Moore 0 2,531 14-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  The Patriot Reader: JFK's Assassination: Motive & Means Point to Federal Reserve Chairman Adele Edisen 1 2,730 25-01-2013, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  Historical Discussion of Dallas Politics - November, 1962 Adele Edisen 0 2,211 05-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  State approves historical marker where Officer Tippit died Bernice Moore 1 2,844 28-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  50 years ago, Kennedy’s order empowered federal unions Bernice Moore 0 2,405 20-01-2012, 04:44 PM
  Please join us at COPA's annual meeting in Dallas, November 18-22, 2011 - Reserve your room NOW Bernice Moore 0 5,092 09-11-2011, 06:00 AM
  The U.S. Federal Courts and the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy Bernice Moore 0 2,228 25-08-2011, 03:26 PM
  JFK Federal Reserve Bernice Moore 7 8,650 25-06-2011, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett