Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Encryption Programs can be attacked
David Guyatt Wrote:I've always assumed that freely available encryption packages could be hacked by the NSA and other government bodies. I also imagine that PGP can be broken too?
There are bigger issues with proprietary software. At least with the Libre software there are thousands of people watching for the problems and working on the solutions. The hive mind. And we will hear about the problems. With the closed and commercial systems they may have a commercial interest in not letting their clients know there are big problems with their products (both loss of sales and share price valuation) and they don't have any where near the numbers of eyes looking at the issues that could go wrong and how to fix them. And software programs of any kind, proprietary or Libre can be hacked.

Nevertheless, what Carsten has posted is rather unnerving to say the least.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Messages In This Thread
How Encryption Programs can be attacked - by Magda Hassan - 26-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Researchers crack the worlds toughest encryption by listening to your computers CPU David Guyatt 1 3,878 06-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin