Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CIA attempts to topple Ahmadinejad at SCO Yekaterinburg summit
That's substantial and very interesting stuff on Twitter Magda.

I've been immersed in the Iranian thing for a couple of days now. The conclusion I have come to (provisionally as always) is that the election results are genuine - Lots of jiggery-pokery involved perhaps, but probably reflecting the Iranian electorate fairly accurately nonetheless. I've been torn between Juan Cole who I respect and whose opinion is hardening towards there having been massive fraud and others who take the opposite view and whom I equally respect. Foremost among the latter is a regular Asia Times columnist M K Bhadrakuma. He is a retired Indian diplomat and always worth reading on any geo-political issue. Interestingly his latest piece in todays AT mentions twitter too - though in scant detail compared to your post but containing one of those eureka tid-bits. It's a long article and well worth reading in full, but here's the 'eureka-moment' twitter bit:

Quote: The Obama administration faces difficult choices. The stir in Tehran is fast becoming a "Twitter revolution". No such thing has ever happened there, despite the best efforts of former US vice president Dick Cheney and his covert team for well over four years for triggering "regime change".

The US is sensing the potential of a "Twitter revolution" in Iran. Earlier, in Moldova, the potential of Twitter to trigger convulsions in popular moods was studied. The US State Department confirmed on Tuesday it had contacted Twitter to urge it to delay a planned upgrade that would have cut daytime service to Iranians. But a department spokesman denied that the contacts with Twitter amounted to meddling in Iran's internal affairs - US sensitivity about causing annoyance to the Iranian regime is self-evident.
His article yesterday is also worthy of attention

I have no doubt whatsoever that there has been extensive covert financial support and prodding by western agencies in the whole thing. Rafsanjani is one of Iran's wealthiest men. In spite of historical issues between them Mousavi is his man and their vocal support has been aptly described as the Tehran Gucci set. Not difficult to spot where Western Elites judge their interests to lie eh? But the US does appear to be making strenuous efforts to appear NOT to have interfered - having apparently used European and Israeli 'assets' to do the legwork. I think events may show that they have been just a little too smart here though. 'Plausible deniability' is useful when dealing with credulous fools but the Iranian leadership have been on the receiving end of it for long enough to know EXACTLY what's going on.
Peter Presland

".....there is something far worse than Nazism, and that is the hubris of the Anglo-American fraternities, whose routine is to incite indigenous monsters to war, and steer the pandemonium to further their imperial aims"
Guido Preparata. Preface to 'Conjuring Hitler'[size=12][size=12]
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"
Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Messages In This Thread
CIA attempts to topple Ahmadinejad at SCO Yekaterinburg summit - by Peter Presland - 17-06-2009, 01:47 PM
CIA attempts to topple Ahmadinejad at SCO Yekaterinburg summit - by Mark Stapleton - 18-06-2009, 12:56 AM
CIA attempts to topple Ahmadinejad at SCO Yekaterinburg summit - by Mark Stapleton - 21-06-2009, 01:19 PM