Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama’s recess appointments are unconstitutional
Greg

This president has over the years expressed dissatisfaction with the Constitution, that it only tells him what he can't do, not what he can; that it doesn't do enough to redistribute wealth.

He's one justice from pro forma absolute power.

Hamilton in Federalist Papers No. 67 at 409:

The ordinary power of appointment is confided to the President and Senate jointly, and can therefore only be exercised during the session of the Senate. . . .

There follows the allowance for appointments "during the recess of the Senate by granting commissions which shall expire at the end of their next session."

This is stated in Article II, Section 2, Paragraph 3 in which Recess is capitalized.

We are dealing with a President whose contempt for the Constitution is a couple of clicks off l'etat c'est moi.

I was telling several friends Goldwater and Kennedy could disagree civilly.

I found several references to what I remembered:

An avid pilot, Goldwater had planned to fly around the country with Kennedy, in what the two men believed would be a revival of the old whistle-stop campaign debates.

and

There was no doubt in 1964 that Goldwater would be the Republican Party's candidate for president and would run against John F. Kennedy. It is my understanding that though they were in different parties, JFK and Barry Goldwater were good friends and had planned to campaign together. The plan would take them both from town to town, where on one occasion John Kennedy would speak first and Barry Goldwater would rebut, and at the next town Goldwater would speak first while Kennedy would rebut. The assassination, of course, changed that.

And of course Bill Moyers immediately shrieked that Goldwater would nuke the little daisy-plucking girl--so let's go to Vietnam and nuke her.

[video]http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1964/peace-little-girl-daisy[/video]

Messages In This Thread
Obama’s recess appointments are unconstitutional - by Phil Dragoo - 21-02-2013, 09:49 AM