Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richie Havens, Folk and Woodstock Legend, Dead at 72
One of the things common in today's culture that bugs me is the denigration of folk music.

I take pride in Woody and Arlo Guthrie, Judy Collins, John Prine (illegal smile even I learned to play) and all the heritage from what and where today's music evolved.

When Richie Havens sang of feeling like a motherless child sometimes, well I knew what that was about. The country was abandoning a generation - abandoned to duty and war, abandoned to a society that condemned anything not a product of Madison Avenue. The age of hate-politics had arrived. The GOP and Nixon were coming after us with the Feds. The threat was elsewhere, from inside the Wall Street Empire and inside the Beltway.

Country "music" abandoned the folk-mountain music of its roots. Those of the Waylon Jennings bunch didn't take trips which is fine but bad jacketing the youth was a disloyal idea of the MSM. Op Chaos in full flower and at cost to this society.

Only John Cash spoke for the abandoned youth from the "Country/Western Music" morass. He had the internal courage to speak truth to the People.
And the various folk singers sang too. More than coffee house anachronisms if one could listen to the words of the music.

Tin Soldiers and Nixon were already present and the M1 Garands were locked and loaded only waiting for the election primaries in May 1970 to be unleashed for the sake of votes and stoke the flames of the MSM and Op Chaos. Full Metal Jacket deployed on citizens again.
Neil wrote about it and "4 Dead in Ohio" is American Folk Music to me that came of the conflict on our streets.

I toast the voices that tried to tell it like it is. And Richie Havens was one of those voices. One of the antidotes to the mind poison.

Jim

This land is [still] your land, this land is [still] my land
from California to the Gulf Stream waters
this land was [still] made for you and me....
Read not to contradict and confute;
nor to believe and take for granted;
nor to find talk and discourse;
but to weigh and consider.
FRANCIS BACON

Messages In This Thread
Richie Havens, Folk and Woodstock Legend, Dead at 72 - by Jim Hackett II - 23-04-2013, 07:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leonard Cohen Dead at 82! Another of my heroes....gone. Peter Lemkin 11 36,521 13-11-2016, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  Horse - a Russian folk song (subtitled) Paul Rigby 5 11,446 26-09-2015, 09:09 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Sam Greelee Dead at 83 - FBI 'Pulled' His Film! [They Censored It!] Peter Lemkin 2 4,319 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Sitar master Ravi Shankar dead at 92 Magda Hassan 1 3,192 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  The Dead Are Alive Keith Millea 3 4,712 20-01-2009, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Keith Millea
  Miriam Makeba folk singer and political activist dies in Rome Magda Hassan 0 3,673 11-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan