Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sound of Silence
[quote=David Guyatt;5242
I agree, Kate, at least to a certain extent. It is true, at least I think it is true, that Christianity actually is misnamed and should be called Paul-anity. And I agree that religion has very largely become a curse in that it seeks to bind and imprison it's followers thoughts and beliefs when it should be setting them free. However, I disagree on your blanket cynicism of religion per se, although I think I well understand where you are coming from in saying this and why.

But not everything is black in perpetuity.

On Mystery Schools I would say that they have their mysteries for the very understandable reason that beholding mysteries is something that the majority of people are not able to, nor wish to, accomplish. For example, the great secret of the Greek mystery schools was openly chiseled into the stone lintel above the entrance door of their temples for all to see (and thus ignore in their multitudes): "Gnothi Seaton". Check it out. The Upanishads also have their own version of Gnothi Seaton. Others too. Or as Sir Francis Bacon once said: "why feed a donkey lettuce when nettles will do?" Meaning, in other words that not everyone wants or even likes lettuce, and if given it finds it hard to digest.[/quote]

I wasn't trying to use a blanket of cynicism and although everything is not black in perpetuity, neither is everything black OR white. I firmly believe the people with good hearts and intentions would be the same with or without religion. The good or evil in mankind comes from within and we each make the discision what we choose for ourselves. I believe in an evil force and I also believe with all my heart in a good force. I do not know what/who or why that force is or where it comes from. I do know it is not the 'deities' presented in any holy book. If I had to attribute any of them to a supernatural being, it would have to be the evil side.

All religious systems enslave the mind. Certain things are demanded, certain things must be believed, certain things must be done, and anyone who becomes the subject or servant of this superstition must give up all idea of individuality or hope of intellectual growth and progress. The dark ages proved that beyond a doubt. We must all become sheep in one flock. Group think and marching lock step due to some manmade dogma is suicide for one's independence and self worth. The bible teaches the best we can do is "filthy rags in the sight of God". What decent mortal parent would teach something so hateful to their child?

The Arab world is muslim. Israel is jewish. America is considered christian of one sect or another. We have been taught to police one another. If one fails to fall in line with the leading accepted religion of their own culture, they are looked upon as an infidel, a heathen or a dog. Each can clearly point out the faults and errors of all other religions but each is just as sure as the other their god is the only god. I have known many people who really don't care for religion at all but go along just to get along with family and society. Some do it for business purposes. Apparently a 'religious' businessman is a better man! That should not be. Where is the freedom in that when one feels forced to live a lie just to live in peace? Not only do they waste much of their precious lives but continue to pass it along to the next generation. If the day comes when the world if forced by threat of death into a one world religion, then it will become painfully clear how dangerous religion truly is. It should have remained clear after the crusades and inquisitions that both the catholics and then the protestants leveled against all resistors. It is true that the only thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history. The horrid mess and slaughter that is about to boil over in Palestine at this very moment is due to religious doctrine and pitting one god against another. The US christians have been taught, since Cyrus Scofield came along, that the bible says we must bless and pray for the Jews or we will reap the curse of god. To that I shout a hardy BULLSHIT and will hush...for now.

Messages In This Thread
The Sound of Silence - by Kate Story - 23-03-2009, 03:45 AM
The Sound of Silence - by David Healy - 23-03-2009, 04:52 AM
The Sound of Silence - by Kate Story - 23-03-2009, 06:09 AM
The Sound of Silence - by David Guyatt - 23-03-2009, 10:10 AM
The Sound of Silence - by Magda Hassan - 23-03-2009, 12:48 PM
The Sound of Silence - by Kate Story - 23-03-2009, 06:27 PM
The Sound of Silence - by Kate Story - 23-03-2009, 06:28 PM
The Sound of Silence - by David Guyatt - 23-03-2009, 08:05 PM
The Sound of Silence - by Magda Hassan - 23-03-2009, 10:22 PM
The Sound of Silence - by David Healy - 23-03-2009, 10:44 PM
The Sound of Silence - by Kate Story - 23-03-2009, 11:18 PM