Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
William Casey
Yesterday I posted an article about the founder of AIG under a different thread:
Quote:http://www.chinadevelopmentbrief.com...0-203-1-0.html
Starr Foundation Mainland China contact: Florence Davis, President
14th Floor, 70 Pine Street, New York NY 1270 USA Tel: +1 212 770 5457

This foundation was established in 1955 by Cornelius Vanderbilt [sic] Starr [better known as C.V. Starr](1892-1968), who started an insurance business in Shanghai in 1919 and went on to found the AIG group, one of the world’s largest insurance companies. On his death in 1968 Mr. Starr left his estate to the foundation. Its assets are now valued at around USD 3.5 billion.
The bulk of the foundation’s grants support educational programmes (notably scholarships), medical research, environmental protection, social welfare and cultural projects in the United States. However, China features prominently in the foundation’s overseas grant-making.
Recent grants include:
* USD 500,000 to Shanghai’s Fudan University to endow a C V Starr Scholarship Fund
* Funding for a chair in Insurance and a chair in Economics at Beijing University
* USD 1 million to Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government for a China Public Policy Programme that, in conjunction with Tsinghua University, provides mid-career training to officials from Chinese city and provincial governments
* USD 2.5 million for Temple University (Philadelphia) and Tsinghua University to establish a Masters course in Law. Temple University had previously received USD 1.5 million for a collaborative programme with the China University of Politics and Law
* USD 1.2 million for Shanghai Municipal Government to clean up Suzhou Creek
* Support for the Hopkins-Nanjing Centre for Chinese and American Studies – an educational joint venture between Johns Hopkins University and Nanjing University
* Multi-million dollar grants to support the work in China of Smile Train and The Nature Conservancy (see separate entries).

Other American organisations whose work in China has received Starr Foundation support include the Asia Foundation (for legal aid programmes), AFS Intercultural Exchanges, Bridge to Asia, the Environmental Defense Fund, the United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia, the Wildlife Conservation Society, Volunteers in Asia, Princeton in Asia and the Yale-China Association. (See separate entries).

In 2002, the Foundation’s total net assets were USD 3.5 billion. During that year it distributed USD 211 million in grants.

After I posted, I did more research which helped me to remember that Starr's middle name was not actually Vanderbilt but Vander or Van der. So I decided to do some genealogical work on him. What I learned has been posted in a thread called the History of AIG under the section of Organizations and Cults.
"History records that the Money Changers have used every form of abuse, intrigue, deceit and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and its issuance." --James Madison

Messages In This Thread
William Casey - by Magda Hassan - 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
William Casey - by Linda Minor - 02-04-2009, 04:32 PM
William Casey - by Linda Minor - 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
William Casey - by Tosh Plumlee - 19-04-2009, 08:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FOIA releases William Colby's official history as CIA director, 1973 - 76. Anthony Thorne 0 2,599 18-12-2016, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Anthony Thorne
  Film divides CIA spymaster William Colby's family Bernice Moore 0 2,647 20-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  CIA History of DCI William Colby; NSA Bernice Moore 0 2,632 30-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Forefathers of the CIA: Sir William “Intrepid” Stephenson Ron Williams 0 3,454 19-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Ron Williams