Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secret Policing dribbles
SEPTEMBER 8, 2011
US/UK: Documents Reveal Libya Rendition Details
End Reliance on No-Torture "Assurances" from Abusive Governments

https://www.hrw.org/news/2011/09/08/us/u...on-details
(New York) Documents recently discovered by Human Rights Watch in Tripoli reveal new details of the high level of cooperation among United States, United Kingdom, and Libyan intelligence agencies in the transfer of terrorism suspects, Human Rights Watch said today. The documents underscore the need for the US and UK to account for past abuses, Human Rights Watch said.
The documents, discovered on September 3, 2011, describe US offers to transfer, or render, at least four detainees from US to Libyan custody, one with the active participation of the UK; US requests for detention and interrogation of other suspects; UK requests for information about terrorism suspects; and the sharing of information about Libyans living in the UK. This cooperation took place despite Libya's extensive and widely known record of torture and other ill-treatment of detainees.
……
US, UK Policy and Practice
The Bush administration transferred more than 100 detainees to various countries from 2004 to 2006, including at least seven to Libya, [>click< to right ear as I copy/paste this 5:05pm 9June2016 "Libya", "Syria", "disappeared", "a secret place", "plane waiting on the tarmac [neuralgic left temple there]", "orange", and thousands more, not to forget the change of loyalties' tactics & the dream choreography indoctrinations keep it up Shitlers you need the practice followed by their recent "Not British", whatever that means, me' or them, it's all drivel of the intoxicated]
Obligations and Accountability
Under the Convention against Torture and other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (the "Convention against Torture"), which the US ratified in 1994 and the UK in 1988, no one is to be sent to a country where there are substantial grounds for believing that they might be tortured or mistreated. This obligation has been interpreted to require governments to provide a mechanism for people to challenge decisions to transfer them to another country.
The Convention against Torture also obligates countries to investigate credible allegations of torture and other ill-treatment, including complicity. However, despite overwhelming evidence of US government involvement at senior levels in the use of torture, and of US and UK complicity in torture in third countries, neither government has conducted sufficient investigations into the alleged conduct. [synthetic trigeminal neuralgia for 180days consecutive, 5-15minutes after going to bed "There was always an MI5 officer present"- c.late2013]
…….
Another document is a letter from a senior MI6 official to Musa Kusa congratulating him on the "safe arrival of Abu Abd Allah Sadiq" and taking credit for Britain's role in the rendition, which "was the least we could do for you and Libya."
……
Some of the reported methods of torture, according to the report, included: chaining prisoners to a wall for hours; clubbing; applying electric shock; applying corkscrews to the back; pouring lemon juice in open wounds; breaking fingers and allowing the joints to heal without medical care; suffocating with plastic bags; deprivation of food and water; hanging by the wrists; suspension from a pole inserted between the knees and elbows; cigarette burns; threats of being attacked by dogs; and beating on the soles of the feet.
[Schiz training via augmented cognition implants, cochlear implants & retinal implant (-all effects precisely as tho'-)]

Ende

[size=12]Which led to-

[/SIZE]

Blair government's rendition policy led to rift between UKspy agencies[/FONT]

MI5chief's complaint over MI6 role in war on terror' abductions caused prolongedbreakdown in relations[/FONT]
Nick Hopkins[/FONT] and Richard Norton-Taylor
Tuesday 31 May 2016[/FONT] [/FONT]17.56 BST[/FONT][/FONT]

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016...es-mi6-mi5
British involvement incontroversial and clandestine rendition operations provoked an unprecedentedrow between the UK's domestic and foreign intelligence services, MI5 and MI6,at the height of the "war on terror", the Guardian can reveal.[/FONT]
The headof MI5, Eliza Manningham-Buller, was so incensed when she discovered the roleplayed by MI6 in abductions that led to suspected extremists being tortured,she threw out a number of her sister agency's staff and banned them fromworking at MI5's headquarters, Thames House.[/FONT]
Accordingto Whitehall sources, she also wrote to the then prime minister, Tony Blair, tocomplain about the conduct of MI6 officers, saying their actions had threatenedBritain's intelligence gathering and may have compromised the security andsafety of MI5 officers and their informants.[/FONT]
The lettercaused a serious and prolonged breakdown of trust between Britain's domesticand foreign spy agencies provoked by the Blair government's support forrendition. [/FONT]
The letterwas discovered by investigators examining whether British intelligence officersshould face criminal charges over the rendition of an exiled Libyan oppositionleader, Abdul Hakim Belhaj.[/FONT]
A criticof Muammar Gaddafi, the former Libyan dictator, Belhaj was seized in Bangkok inMarch, 2004 in a joint UK-US operation, and handed over to the CIA. He allegesthe CIA tortured him and injected him with "truth serum" before flying him andhis family to Tripoli to be interrogated.[/FONT]
According to documents found inTripoli, five days before he was secretly flown to the Libyan capital, MI6 gaveGaddafi's intelligence agency the French and Moroccan aliases used by Belhaj.[/FONT]
MI6 alsoprovided the Libyans with the intelligence that allowed the CIA to kidnap himand take him to Tripoli.[/FONT]
Belhajtold the Guardian that British intelligence officers were among the first tointerrogate him in Tripoli. He said he was "very surprised that the British gotinvolved in what was a very painful period in my life".[/FONT]
"I wasn'tallowed a bath for three years and I didn't see the sun for one year," he toldthe Guardian. "They hung me from the wall and kept me in an isolation cell. Iwas regularly tortured."[/FONT]
The secretrole played by MI6 was revealed after the fall of Gaddafi, when documents werefound in ransacked offices of his intelligence chief, Moussa Koussa. [/FONT]
One, dated18 March 2004 was a note from Sir Mark Allen, then head of counter-terrorism atMI6, to Moussa Koussa. It said: "I congratulate you on the safe arrival of AbuAbd Allah Sadiq [Abdul-Hakim Belhaj]. This was the least we could do for youand for Libya to demonstrate the remarkable relationship we have built over theyears. I am so glad. I was grateful to you for helping the officer we sent outlast week."[/FONT]
Allenadded: "[Belhaj's] information on the situation in this country is of urgentimportance to us. Amusingly, we got a request from the Americans to channelrequests for information from [Belhaj] through the Americans. I have nointention of doing any such thing. The intelligence on [Belhaj] was British. Iknow I did not pay for the air cargo [Belhaj]. But I feel I have the right todeal with you direct on this and am very grateful for the help you are givingus."[/FONT]
ScotlandYard has concluded its investigation into the alleged involvement of intelligenceofficers and officials in Libyan rendition operations and an announcement aboutwhether or not to prosecute is imminent.[/FONT]
Whitehall sources have told theGuardian that police and prosecutors have been reviewing the issue for months.They say investigators have been frustrated by the way potentially keywitnesses have said they were unable to recall who had authorised Britishinvolvement in the rendition programme, who else knew about it, and who knewthe precise details of the Belhaj abduction.[/FONT]
"This isan extremely difficult area for police and prosecutors," said one source. "Theproblem is, the CPS cannot bring a charge against a government policy."[/FONT]
The letterto Blair sent by Manningham-Buller, who was director general of MI5 from 2002to 2007, reflected deep divisions within Britain's intelligence agencies overthe methods being used to gather information after the 9/11 attacks on the US.[/FONT]
Though MI5has been criticised about some of the tactics used, the letter suggestsBritain's security service had serious misgivings about rendition operationsand the torture of suspects.[/FONT]
TheGuardian has been told the MI5 chief was "shocked and appalled" by thetreatment of Belhaj and vented her anger at MI6, which was then run by SirRichard Dearlove.[/FONT]
"When EMB[Manningham-Buller] found out what had gone on in Libya, she was evidentlyfurious. I have never seen a letter quite like it. There was a serious riftbetween MI5 and MI6 at the time."[/FONT]
She hassince said the aim of engaging with Gaddafi to persuade him to abandon hischemical and nuclear weapons programme was not "wrong in principle". [/FONT]
However,she added: "There are clearly questions to be answered about the variousrelationships that developed afterwards and whether the UK supped with asufficiently long spoon."[/FONT]
The policefiles with the CPS are understood to describe how Belhaj, his pregnant wife,Fatima Bouchar, and children, and Sami al-Saadi and his family were abductedfrom the far east to Gaddafi's interrogation and torture cells in Tripoli in2004.[/FONT]
The Britishgovernment paid £2.2m to settle a damages claim brought by al-Saadi and hisfamily. Belhaj has refused to settle unless he receives an apology.[/FONT]
JackStraw, who as foreign secretary was responsible for MI6, and Allen have alwaysdenied wrongdoing.[/FONT]
In December 2005, when the firstevidence emerged that Britain was colluding in CIA rendition operations, Strawtold MPs: "There is simply no truth in the claims that the United Kingdom hasbeen involved in rendition full stop."[/FONT]
When theLibyan renditions came to light, Straw said: "No foreign secretary can know allthe details of what its intelligence agencies are doing at any one time." [/FONT]
He hasbeen interviewed by the police but only as a potential witness. Governmentofficials, insisting on anonymity, said MI6 was following "ministeriallyauthorised government policy".[/FONT]
Blair saidhe did not have "any recollection at all" of the Belhaj rendition.[/FONT]
The Blairand Straw denials appeared to be contradicted by Dearlove.[/FONT]
He has said: "It was a politicaldecision, having very significantly disarmed Libya, for the government tocooperate with Libya on Islamist terrorism. The whole relationship was one ofserious calculation about where the overall balance of our national interestsstood."[/FONT]
NeitherMI5 nor MI6, nor Manningham-Buller, wanted to make any public comment.Whitehall sources insist the relationship between MI5 and MI6 has now beenrepaired after a difficult period. [/FONT]
Belhaj isdemanding an apology and an acceptance of British guilt. He has taken his caseto the supreme court, which has yet to hand down a judgment.[/FONT]
Last year,the court was confronted with the prospect of Straw and British intelligenceofficers deploying the "foreign act of state doctrine" that is to say, thecourts here cannot rule on the case since agents from foreign countries,notably the US and Libya, were involved, and they are granted immunity.[/FONT]
Section 7of the 1994 Intelligence Services Act, sometimes described as the "James Bondclause", protects MI6 officers from prosecution for actions anywhere in theworld that would otherwise be illegal. They would be protected as long as theiractions were authorised in writing by the secretary of state.[/FONT]
However,lawyers for Belhaj say many cases involving deportation or asylum seekers, forexample, relate to actions of foreign states and that, in any case, tortureoverrides all legal loopholes.[/FONT]
An inquiryunder Sir Peter Gibson, a retired senior judge, into earlier renditionprogrammes in which British intelligence was involved, was abandoned because ofthe new and dramatic evidence about Belhaj's abduction.[/FONT]
Afterinsisting that the issues were so serious that it needed a judge-led inquiryrather than one carried out by the parliamentary intelligence and securitycommittee, David Cameron reversed his position. After the Gibson inquiry wasdropped, he said the issues should be taken up by the committee after all.[/FONT]
DominicGrieve, the former attorney general and now chair of the committee, saidshortly after he was appointed last October: "Our longer-term priority is thesubstantial inquiry into the role of the UK government and security andintelligence agencies in relation to detainee treatment and rendition, wherethere are still unanswered questions."[/FONT]
The Gibsoninquiry published a damning interim report before it folded. It concluded thatthe British government and its intelligence agencies had been involved inrendition operations, in which detainees were kidnapped and flown around theglobe, and had interrogated detainees who they knew were being mistreated.[/FONT]
It saidMI6 officers were informed they were under no obligation to report breaches ofthe Geneva conventions; intelligence officers appear to have taken advantage ofthe abuse of detainees; and Straw, as foreign secretary, had suggested that thelaw might be amended to allow suspects to be rendered to the UK.[/FONT]
It raised27 questions they said would need to be answered if the full truth about theway in which Britain waged its "war on terror" was to be established.[/FONT]
Thequestions include:[/FONT]
[/FONT] [/FONT]Did UKintelligence officers turn a blind eye to "specific, inappropriate techniquesor threats" used by others and use this to their advantage in interrogations?[/FONT]
[/FONT] [/FONT]If so, wasthere "a deliberate or agreed policy" between UK officers and overseas intelligenceofficers?[/FONT]
[/FONT] [/FONT]Did thegovernment and its agencies become "inappropriately involved in somerenditions"?[/FONT]
[/FONT] [/FONT]Was therea willingness, "at least at some levels within the agencies, to condone,encourage or take advantage of a rendition operation"?[/FONT]
Ende

Which has led to-

'Tortured' rendition couple angry over failure to charge MI6

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36489647
By Gordon CoreraSecurity correspondent, BBC News 1 hour ago
A man who was secretly detained and sent to Libya with his pregnant wife in 2004 has spoken of his disappointment that no-one will be prosecuted.
Ex-Libyan dissident Abdel Hakim Belhaj says the UK's MI6 helped to arrange the couple's rendition - saying they were covertly taken from Thailand to Libya.
Sami al-Saadi and his family were also sent to Libya in 2004, where he was allegedly tortured.
Prosecutors said there was insufficient evidence to charge anyone from MI6.
Mr Belhaj told the BBC he was "very disappointed that individuals responsible" would not be prosecuted, adding: "If there is political interference with the courts, then it undermines British justice."
Rendition involves sending a person from one country to another for imprisonment and interrogation, and in some cases torture.

'Injected'

Mr Belhaj, who commanded an armed opposition group against Libyan dictator Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, and his wife, Fatima Boudchar, had been trying to seek asylum in the UK when they were taken from Bangkok to Tripoli in 2004.
Their lawyers claimed it was a joint operation between the US intelligence service the CIA and its UK counterparts from MI6 to help Col Gaddafi round up his enemies.
Mr Belhaj alleges he was tortured by his jailers and questioned by British intelligence officers during a six-year detention.

Mrs Boudchar, who was pregnant at the time of her detention and transfer to Libya, spent four months in a Libyan prison.
Speaking in her first television interview, she told the BBC: "My hands and legs were tied and my eyes were covered. They injected me with something. I didn't know where I was going.
"I was six months' pregnant. I was so scared that I was going to die."
Separately, Mr al-Saadi and his family were taken from Hong Kong and sent to Libya, where he was allegedly tortured. Memos indicated that MI6 was involved in his transfer.
Warming relations
The Metropolitan Police and the Crown Prosecution Service opened an investigation in January 2012 after documents found following the fall of Col Gaddafi suggested that MI6 had been involved in the rendition.
The documents included letters signed by "Mark". It has been claimed that this is Sir Mark Allen, then MI6 director of counter terrorism.
In a letter to Moussa Koussa, head of Col Gaddafi's intelligence agency, dated March 2004, "Mark" thanked him for helping to arrange a meeting in the desert between then Prime Minister Tony Blair and Col Gaddafi, as part of a warming of relations between the UK and Libya.
"Mark" wrote: "More importantly, I congratulate you on the safe arrival of Abu Abd Allah Sadiq (Mr Belhaj)… This was the least we could do for you and for Libya to demonstrate the remarkable relationship we have built over the years."

Analysis
Even though there will be no prosecution of MI6 officers, the Libyan case still raises many questions.
For the first time, the CPS statement confirms that MI6 was in "communication" with individuals from foreign countries involved in the rendition, and seems to confirm the broad outline of the allegations (even though it finds insufficient evidence to charge).
In one of the most intriguing lines, it also says that the MI6 officer involved sought political authority for "some" of his actions, but not in a formal way. This goes to one of the mysteries surrounding the operation - who authorised it?
Sensitive MI6 operations are supposed to be authorised by politicians - normally the foreign secretary. Jack Straw was foreign secretary at the time and has denied any role in rendition.
And today's statement seems to support the idea that MI6 was operating at the time with only partial political cover.
There was no written record and nor did the officer, we learn, get authority for all his communications and conduct from whomever he talked to. That will raise questions about whether MI6 was operating under sufficiently strong oversight at the time.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said an unnamed public official had been investigated for aiding, abetting, counselling or procuring any offence of torture, and misconduct in public office.
It was found the person did not have any connection with the initial physical detention of either man or their families, the CPS said.
Sue Hemming, of the CPS, said: "Following a thorough investigation, the CPS has decided that there is insufficient evidence to charge the suspect with any criminal offence.
"We made our decision based upon all the available admissible evidence and after weighing up all of the information we have been provided with."
'Without fear or favour'
Mr Belhaj's lawyer Cori Crider told the BBC: "This suggests to me the security services are functionally above the law. If you're not going to charge in this case, then when are you going to charge?"
Lib Dem MP Alistair Carmichael has called for the government to make a statement to MPs following the CPS's decision.
The government's Intelligence and Security Committee said later it would examine the families' case as part of its ongoing inquiry into detainee treatment and rendition.
Scotland Yard said a small team of detectives had spent more than two years conducting a "thorough and penetrating investigation without fear or favour", and it was for the CPS to decide whether to prosecute.
Both Mr al-Saadi and Mr Belhaj pursued civil claims against the British government and named individuals. Mr al-Saadi settled out of court but Mr Belhaj's case is continuing.

Ende

Interestingly, Gordon Corera of the BBC, seems to be implying that the Met are saying "We've done our job investigating this, it's the CPS who've decided not to take it further" - the same CPS who ruled during the 'phone hacking thing, that it was legal to access someones voicemail (& texts?) if the recipient has already heard the message - this is "RIPAbollocks", as an investigating journo called it. Article in the news last week saying that no-one was giving names and there was a collective amnesia in progress, regards the rendition investigation. Interesting thing about the 'Crown Prosecution Service' - I get alot of "queen/Queen" refs, always have since this mediaevalist fantasy-land of torture-murder started; in the very very ealy days, I got "There are grown men who weep when they think of their queen/Queen" - take yer pick as to the case there, they're massive gaylords & I kinda wish I'd bitten my tongue when I'd quipped on YT about "What do you think the Queen would like in her latest feast?" - "Polonium210". Wups.
Martin Luther King - "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Albert Camus - "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion".
Douglas MacArthur — "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
Albert Camus - "Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear."

Messages In This Thread
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 23-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 26-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 26-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Peter Lemkin - 26-04-2016, 04:55 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 27-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 09-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 14-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 14-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 23-06-2016, 04:29 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 05-07-2016, 05:47 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 02-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 11-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 27-10-2016, 05:15 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 01-11-2016, 05:51 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 15-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 15-11-2016, 06:21 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 19-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Secret Policing dribbles - by Michael Barwell - 19-12-2016, 05:40 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  London shoot-out: Inside the CIA's secret war plans against WikiLeaks Magda Hassan 5 2,974 30-09-2021, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Murdered Cambridge student 'was killed by Egyptian secret services' Danny Jarman 2 6,148 11-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  A Secret "Black Site" Revealed In Chicago Lauren Johnson 4 4,355 26-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Secret flight linking Israel to the UAE reveals 'open secret' of collaboration Magda Hassan 0 3,238 23-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  John le Carre on the threat posed by secret services David Guyatt 8 8,138 05-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  The US had a secret surveillance group in Oslo Christer Forslund 11 7,736 16-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Gitmo murder cover up - secret CIA "dry-boarding" torture the cause David Guyatt 0 2,398 11-10-2014, 09:13 AM
  BBC loses confidential information on secret British army unit David Guyatt 0 2,317 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM
  The secret role of the Dutch in the American war on terror Magda Hassan 1 3,037 08-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Germany shocked by secret service link to rightwing terror cell Bernice Moore 11 6,644 28-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski