Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ahem... (just clearing my throat)
Wow. It IS a gem. Pre dates the PNAC "Absent a New Pearl Harhour" document too, with Philip Zelikow of all people one of its authors. Consider:
Quote:Readers should imagine the possibilities for themselves, because the most serious constraint on current policy is lack of imagination. An act of catastrophic terrorism that killed thousands or tens of thousands of people and/or disrupted the necessities of life for hundreds of thousands, or even millions, would be a watershed event in America’s history. It could involve loss of life and property unprecedented for peacetime and undermine Americans’ fundamental sense of security within their own borders in a manner akin to the 1949 Soviet atomic bomb test, or perhaps even worse. Constitutional liberties would be challenged as the United States sought to protect itself from further attacks by pressing against allowable limits in surveillance of citizens, detention of suspects, and the use of deadly force. More violence would follow, either as other terrorists seek to imitate this great "success" or as the United States strikes out at those considered responsible. Like Pearl Harbor, such an event would divide our past and future into a "before" and "after." The effort and resources we devote to averting or containing this threat now, in the "before" period, will seem woeful, even pathetic, when compared to what will happen "after." Our leaders will be judged negligent for not addressing catastrophic terrorism more urgently.
Prophetic or what?
Peter Presland

".....there is something far worse than Nazism, and that is the hubris of the Anglo-American fraternities, whose routine is to incite indigenous monsters to war, and steer the pandemonium to further their imperial aims"
Guido Preparata. Preface to 'Conjuring Hitler'[size=12][size=12]
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied"
Claud Cockburn

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Messages In This Thread
Ahem... (just clearing my throat) - by Ed Jewett - 28-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Ahem... (just clearing my throat) - by Ed Jewett - 28-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Ahem... (just clearing my throat) - by Myra Bronstein - 28-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Ahem... (just clearing my throat) - by Peter Presland - 28-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Ahem... (just clearing my throat) - by Ed Jewett - 28-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Ahem... (just clearing my throat) - by Ed Jewett - 28-08-2009, 05:45 PM