Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Deer Hunter

In the middle of the seventies in the middle of Northern New Mexico we were drinking scotch to Jagger on the box. Her husband blew out of there in his sports car. She'd put him through his PhD after his Army service, before his unspecified government job.

He's herded the people into the Rio surf and fired on them, kept firing.

His stories to me and a truck driver from Decatur were all violent exploits ending with his having beaten blacks, whites, hispanics, bashing their heads on columns, floors. He could recite from the bookcases of his study's walls. His favorite picture as a GI with an M-1.

They were talking the Deer Hunter last night, two nights ago. He'd been Army. One of our crew alums confided a posting involving internment. Another cites a sister deploying soon.

No, Charlie Sheen wasn't qualified as a Navy Seal either.

Any given day Vietnam is on a label on me. Cambodia. Always China.

Our friend the colonel: I got an order on my satellite phone to provide safe passage for a drug convoy. The strangest sight I'd ever seen.

A friend who was with Hal Moore has since been quite active in humanitarian causes. Mel Gibson has since been disqualified.

The greatest justice will come when the Chomsky notion of JFK being same-same as LBJ is dispelled

but of course that would require real history

not the beautiful story told by the King of Nepal to foreign service career officer Mirriam F.

the sunlight from the skylight I'd installed for her glinting off her silver hair and spectacles

At the Nixon Counterinnaugural in DC January 69 as night fell after Rudd's Maoists chanted Ho Ho Ho

and banged the iron knocker on steel door of Justice, shirtsleeved lawyers in second floor windows giving us the bird

the shouting was the young man with the flag, "I got two brothers in Vietnam, man!"

and the young man in army surplus replies, "Yeh, well f--- you, man!"

The best film on the war I've seen was a ten-minute black and white silent of Viet Minh pulling howitzer wheels and carriages and barrels

up mountain jungle foilage led by four macheteros stripped to the waist wailing in fast motion

the long inexorable lines of pajama-clad pullers

signalling defeat for the French at the base

on which JFK based his NSAM 263

The fellows in the bar were lied to

all the fairies in dog collars today will not reveal what Benghazi was all about

what the president and SecState are doing with weapons

in one more "foreign engagement"

We've been warned

And the woman in New Mexico was beaten to death by her husband

and her tales of foreign murder dismissed as delirium tremens looking for a thorazine fix

Relax America

it's just about sex

Messages In This Thread
The Deer Hunter - by Jan Klimkowski - 17-09-2009, 06:55 PM
The Deer Hunter - by Jan Klimkowski - 17-09-2009, 07:22 PM
The Deer Hunter - by Peter Presland - 17-09-2009, 07:57 PM
The Deer Hunter - by Jan Klimkowski - 17-09-2009, 08:32 PM
The Deer Hunter - by Magda Hassan - 18-09-2009, 01:08 AM
The Deer Hunter - by Peter Presland - 18-09-2009, 07:53 AM
The Deer Hunter - by David Guyatt - 18-09-2009, 11:43 AM
The Deer Hunter - by Jan Klimkowski - 18-09-2009, 08:07 PM
The Deer Hunter - by Jan Klimkowski - 18-09-2009, 08:36 PM