Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News: Indonesian Army, Kopassus, Implicated in New Assassinations
Published on Wednesday, March 31, 2010

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2010/03/31-1

Assassinations Development: Kopassus Pressure Cited as TV One Cancels Live Interview at Last Minute

by Allan Nairn

As I was making my way to their studio for our agreed live interview on Indonesian armed forces (TNI) assassinations, I received a call with the news that TV One, the Indonesian national news channel, had canceled my appearance due to pressure from Kopassus.

[Image: kopassuspressure_nairn_interview.jpg]In this Monday, Dec. 22, 2003, photo, Indonesian elite soldiers of Special Forces Commandos (KOPASSUS) sporting their signature red beret march during a parade at a ceremony commemorating the 58th anniversary of the Indonesian Army in Jakarta, Indonesia. (AP Photo/Dita Alangkara)

Kopassus, the army's special forces is one of the units which I reported has been involved in the assassination of political activists in Aceh. President Obama reportedly wants to boost US aid to Kopassus, and my report has apparently created a political crisis for Indonesia's armed forces and the US.

Even though TV One had agreed to interview me alone for 15 to 30 minutes, they decided unilaterally -- without telling me -- that they would only let me on air if the Kopassus commander, Gen. Lodewijk was there to rebut me.

I would have been glad to face and question the General, but the catch was that the General refused to face me.

So, due to Kopassus my live TV One interview was canceled.

General Lodewijk and TNI, why are you afraid to face the facts?
And TV One, why are you afraid to let me discuss them live, as you agreed?

Allan Nairn (allan.nairn@yahoo.com) is an award-winning U.S. investigative journalist who became well-known when he was imprisoned by the Indonesian military while reporting in East Timor. His writings have focused on U.S. foreign policy in such countries as Haiti, Guatemala, Indonesia, and East Timor. In 1993, Nairn and Amy Goodman received the Robert F. Kennedy Memorial First Prize for International Radio award for their reporting on East Timor. In 1994, Nairn won the George Polk Award for Journalism for Magazine Reporting. Also in 1994, Nairn received the The James Aronson Award for Social Justice Journalism for his writing on Haiti for The Nation magazine.
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller

Messages In This Thread
Breaking News: Indonesian Army, Kopassus, Implicated in New Assassinations - by Keith Millea - 31-03-2010, 06:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A tale of two assassinations: Vietnam's JFK Tracy Riddle 0 4,888 29-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  US involvement in South American assassinations. Magda Hassan 0 3,416 31-12-2013, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Retired US Army officer found hanged in cell in Egypt David Guyatt 7 5,675 14-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Charlie Prima
  Polish President and Army Chief of Staff dead David Guyatt 125 56,866 31-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Israeli Assassinations and American Presidents Ed Jewett 1 2,899 26-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Kennedy and king assassinations Bernice Moore 0 3,740 17-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Interesting, yet incomplete, timeline of political assassinations Peter Lemkin 0 3,094 27-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Kissinger Rescinded Warning Against Condor Assassinations 0 341 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: