Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others.
Helen Reyes Wrote:I note that graphics saved in CompuServ's proprietary GIF format, aka 87a and 89a, technically infringed the LZW compression patents held by Unisys Corporation, from 1987 till 2003, while realizing that the Commodore 64 probably used a bitmap format natively for saving graphics information.

It used to take a long time to make anything worthwhile on those older computers. I suppose it was even harder before the home microcomputers came along, hence things like the LZW algorithm for saving limited space on mainframes and minis. Standing on the shoulders of giants, as they say.

Personally, I like maps. I like all maps. The more maps, the better. The more free maps, the better. Maps want to be free. Some of my favorite maps were National Geographic centerfolds of obscure lands with placenames full of umlauts and strange marks on, through and under the letters. Viva les maps!

Quite right. The compression method was always a sore point. At the time I drew my map the only thing I had was GEOpaint on the Commodore 64. So the original was in the GEOpaint bitmap format. I had to draw it pixel by pixel. Then several years later I wanted to start a BBS and had to get an IBM to run FIDOnet. Then I found a program to convert the GEOpaint file into a GIF. I was on CompuServe when they were proposing a new format called GIF 89A. I uploaded most of my original files to the Commodore forum on CompuServe.

Messages In This Thread
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Myra Bronstein - 31-03-2010, 04:31 AM
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Myra Bronstein - 21-05-2010, 11:56 PM
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Myra Bronstein - 22-05-2010, 12:20 AM
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Myra Bronstein - 22-05-2010, 12:26 AM
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Myra Bronstein - 22-05-2010, 05:28 AM
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Myra Bronstein - 23-05-2010, 05:45 PM
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Myra Bronstein - 23-05-2010, 09:59 PM
A pointless thread on 'Free to Use' map and others. - by Anthony Marsh - 29-05-2010, 07:17 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mercedes Hijacks Che Image for Free Market Insult Ed Jewett 3 4,555 13-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Keith Millea
  Atlantic Free Press Closing Doors Ed Jewett 0 2,367 22-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett