Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddam Hussein
I was just checking some things on wikipedia and saw this on Saddam's trial, i was wondering if anyone had more info on the bolded parts?

Quote:On 30 June 2004, Saddam Hussein, held in custody by U.S. forces at the U.S. base "Camp Cropper", along with 11 other senior Baathist leaders, were handed over legally (though not physically) to the interim Iraqi government to stand trial for crimes against humanity and other offences.
A few weeks later, he was charged by the Iraqi Special Tribunal with crimes committed against residents of Dujail in 1982, following a failed assassination attempt against him. Specific charges included the murder of 148 people, torture of women and children and the illegal arrest of 399 others.[63][64] Among the many challenges of the trial were:
  • Saddam and his lawyers' contesting the court's authority and maintaining that he was still the President of Iraq.[65]
  • The assassinations and attempts on the lives of several of Saddam's lawyers.
  • The replacement of the chief presiding judge, midway through the trial.
On 5 November 2006, Saddam Hussein was found guilty of crimes against humanity and sentenced to death by hanging. Saddam's half brother, Barzan Ibrahim, and Awad Hamed al-Bandar, head of Iraq's Revolutionary Court in 1982, were convicted of similar charges. The verdict and sentencing were both appealed but subsequently affirmed by Iraq's Supreme Court of Appeals.[66] On 30 December 2006, Saddam was hanged.

Did he not get an appeal, and I take it the judge was replaced because he did not tow the line?

And did no one in the media ever bring up the question that - if we were the ones to bring "democracy" and "western values" to Iraq, why on earth did they let them hang him?! :thumpdown:

I apologise if there is a similar thread about, I searched but found nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Saddam Hussein - by Danny Jarman - 27-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Saddam Hussein - by Danny Jarman - 27-07-2010, 01:22 AM
Saddam Hussein - by Magda Hassan - 27-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Saddam Hussein - by Danny Jarman - 27-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Saddam Hussein - by Magda Hassan - 27-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Saddam Hussein - by Jan Klimkowski - 27-07-2010, 05:38 PM