Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiroshima after the bomb
Remember that debate we have every August? The one when the anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki comes around about whether or not it was necessary to drop the little boy and the fat man with God's guidance out of the bockscar to save all the GI's from the fate of having to invade the Japanese islands? One of the pivotal points was whether in fact there was any signal from within the Japanese political war structure that signaled any readiness to negotiate a surrender, presumably in late July or even hurriedly in August?

Well, I just recently got this book published by the Lyons Press, an imprint of the Globe Pequot Press out of Guilford, CT whose copyright is held in 2006 by one Joan Buresch Talley (the book was originally published in 1966) and the book is dedicated to Clover, a discreet observer of the events described in the book and a major contributor to the telling. Clover, it turns out, is the author's wife. The book's title is "The Secret Surrender: The Classic Insider's Account of the Secret Plot to Surrender Northern Italy during World War II", known inside the US circles as Operation Sunrise. The author is one Allen W. Dulles (you can look up his bio and curriculm vitae on your own). Dulles was FDR's personal representative -- I think he was known as "110" in the OSS -- and he worked dominantly in Switzerland. On pages 218-219, in the Epilogue, you will find this account (emphases mine):

"Even while we were working on Sunrise some word of our operation reached the Japanese representatives in Switzerland. In April, 1945, while the battle for Okinawa was at its peak, Gaevernitz and I were approached in Switzerland by Japanese army and navy spokesmen there and also by some Japanese officials at the Bank for International Settlements in Basel. They wished to determine whether they could not also take advantage of secret channels to Washington established for Sunrise to secure peace for Japan. I informed Washington and was authorized to hear what the Japanese had to say. Per Jacobsen, the able Swedish economic adviser at the Basel bank, was brought into these talks, and there was an active exchange of communications between Washington and Bern.

On July 20, 1945, under instructions from Washington, I went to the Potsdam Conference and reported there to Secretary Stimson on what I had learned from Tokyo -- they desired to surrender if they could retain the Emperor and the constitution as a basis for maintaining discipline and order after the devastating news of surrender became known to the Japanese people.... Unfortunately, in the case of Japan time ran out on us. Before the authorities in Tokyo could make up their mind that here was a secure way of making peace, and that the Americans with whom they were talking had direct contact with the highest authorities in Washington,. Moscow had appeared on the scene as mediator, and the Japanese decided to sue for peace through the Soviet Union..... If there had been a little more time to develop this channel of negotiation, the story of the Japanese surrender might have had a different ending."

Contemplate too the role of the BIS in Basel, who that is, when they were founded and by whom, how their future was threatened at about the time of the end of World War Two, who stepped in to save the day, what function they serve, its role today, and its connection to the centralized banking systems in the world.
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"

Messages In This Thread
Hiroshima after the bomb - by Magda Hassan - 13-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Hiroshima after the bomb - by Ed Jewett - 31-08-2010, 03:12 AM
Hiroshima after the bomb - by Ed Jewett - 23-09-2010, 03:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hiroshima & Nagasaki - Genocidal 'display' killing of up to 300000 civilians Peter Lemkin 2 8,693 06-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  Ah, H. Kissinger - Fascist Adviser to Presidents - His Plans to Bomb Havana in 1976 Peter Lemkin 1 4,119 04-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Hiroshima Day!....a good piece by Chris Hedges Peter Lemkin 1 5,371 07-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  The Great Hiroshima Cover-Up—And the Greatest Movie Never Made Magda Hassan 2 7,087 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Kissinger phone conversations released - We can bomb the bejesus out of them all over North Vietnam. Magda Hassan 0 5,260 24-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan