Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And speaking of career gov't mouthpiece Bob Woodward...
David Guyatt Wrote:Myra, I can't remember now where I came across it, but I have known for a long time that Woodward was a former Navy guy (I thought he was ONI but may be wrong on that?) and that his "Duty" in the White House was Navy duty. If I remember correctly, it was also argued that General Alexander Haig was his boss.

Interesting. Thanks David.

I found this by the author of Silent Coup (which I haven't read):
http://www.counterpunch.org/colodny07072005.html

"Still Protecting Al Haig? Woodward Describes How He Met Mark Felt

By LEN COLODNY
In June 2, 2005's Washington Post, Bob Woodward stated that his role with Navy in regards to the White House was merely that of a courier.
"In 1970, when I was serving as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy and assigned to Adm. Thomas H. Moorer, the chief of naval operations, I sometimes acted as a courier, taking documents to the White House."
"One evening I was dispatched with a package to the lower level of the West Wing of the White House, where there was a little waiting area near the Situation Room. It could be a long wait for the right person to come out and sign for the material, sometimes an hour or more, and after I had been waiting for a while a tall man with perfectly combed gray hair came in and sat down near me. His suit was dark, his shirt white and his necktie subdued. He was probably 25 to 30 years older than I and was carrying what looked like a file case or briefcase. He was very distinguished-looking and had a studied air of confidence, the posture and calm of someone used to giving orders and having them obeyed instantly. . ."
Moorer And Others Dispute Woodward's Report of His Trips to The White House as a "Courier."
With the publication of "Secret Man: Story Of Watergate's Deep Throat," Woodward still leaves us with the mystery of why he has lied about key facts about his military service and especially his relationship with Al Haig. Since Felt is unable to speak for himself, Woodward will be speaking for him (and making more millions off him) based on the evidence contained in this story and others to come, the question is why should we believe him? When Felt could talk and write he strongly denied being Woodward's source.

Bob Woodward has a big credibility gap as it applies to his missions to the White House when he was in the Navy in 1969. He says he was a "courier," doing no more than carrying packages for Admiral Moorer. When asked when he first met Colonel Alexander Haig, he says it was in 1973.

But that is not the truth.

Unlike Woodward, SILENT COUP uses on-the-record sources to show that Woodward acted as a briefer for Admiral Moorer, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, going to the White House to brief then Colonel (later General) Alexander Haig of the National Security Council.

SILENT COUP has not one, but three on-the-record, named and taped sources who claim that briefing Haig is exactly what Woodward was doing on his details to the White House Situation room.

Haig was not a terribly important person in the national hierarchy in 1969 --70 he was the military's liaison to the NSC, and deputy to the National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger.

So why does Woodward claim not to have met Haig until 1973? What is the reason for the lie? If Haig was unimportant in 1969, why can't Woodward admit that he met Haig then?

Listen for yourself to Admiral Moorer confirming that he sent Woodward to brief Haig in 1969-1970.

The matter is of some importance to the Washington Post, as well. At the time of the publication of SILENT COUP, the Post's media guru, Howard Kurtz, fibbed to readers that we had never interviewed Admiral Moorer -- at a time when the Post had in its possession a transcript of the Moorer interview that we had provided to them.

A day later, when Moorer admitted to the rival Washington Times that the interview was correct about Haig and Woodward, the Post did not retract its accusation, nor has it to this day ever corrected the record.

Listen as Woodward defied us to find one person to say that he briefed anyone in the White House. In addition to Admiral Moorer, you may listen to two additional sources that confirm Woodward's role: Secretary of Defense Melvin Laird, and Pentagon spokesperson Jerry Friedheim.
At a moment when people are wondering why the major media are no longer trusted, and America has turned to the bloggers to get the truth, you will not see questions raised about Woodward's veracity in regard to his Navy background anywhere else but on the Internet. Yet it is key to understanding the entire Watergate story.

The Tape Erasures Leak
Finally unlike Mark Felt, Al Haig knew about Rosemary Woods accidentally erasing five minutes of the June 20th tape, in fact he is the last living member of the original group of five to learn of the erasure on October 1, 1973. The others were President Nixon, Rosemary Woods, Fred Buzhardt and General John Bennett, who was the keeper of the tapes. Haig also was one of those who had access to the tapes and may well know who added the extra 13 1/2 minutes of deliberate erasures to it.

Len Colodny wrote Silent Coup: the Removal of a President and is a regular contributor to Watergate.com. He can be reached at: len@colodny.com"

Messages In This Thread
And speaking of career gov't mouthpiece Bob Woodward... - by Myra Bronstein - 02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
And speaking of career gov't mouthpiece Bob Woodward... - by Myra Bronstein - 02-10-2010, 10:44 AM
And speaking of career gov't mouthpiece Bob Woodward... - by Myra Bronstein - 02-10-2010, 11:32 AM
And speaking of career gov't mouthpiece Bob Woodward... - by Myra Bronstein - 22-10-2010, 08:31 AM
And speaking of career gov't mouthpiece Bob Woodward... - by Myra Bronstein - 22-10-2010, 11:09 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The BBC: Washington’s Mouthpiece Paul Rigby 5 5,658 23-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  Israel amabassador stops Palestinian activist, Editor of Le Monde from speaking at school in Poland Danny Jarman 1 3,218 29-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Danny Jarman
  "We Were a Stalin-esque Mouthpiece for Bush" -- Fox News Insider Magda Hassan 3 10,177 12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  William Bowles on BBC as IDF mouthpiece Paul Rigby 3 4,458 22-08-2010, 10:06 AM
  In America, Speaking the Truth is a Career-Ending Event Paul Rigby 0 2,827 26-01-2009, 11:00 PM