Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“Big Brother” may end up being very, very small
Tracy said
Quote:Adele, I didn't intend to sound arrogant and I'm sorry if I did. I studied this subject for several years during the last decade, and I've heard the arguments in favor of abiotic oil. As a scientist, you must realize that if the old giant oil fields around the world (Texas, Pennsylvania, Mexico, etc) are not refilling with oil, then that is a serious blow against the theory. Occasionally earthquakes or other geological shifts can cause an undiscovered oil field to leak into an existing field nearby. This can make it appear that the field is filling back up.

Again I ask, why are they turning to expensive, energy-intensive, polluting alternatives like tar sands, shale oil and shale gas, poisoning the earth's groundwater (and oil executives rely on drinking water too) if abiotic oil is true?

Tracy, thank you very much for telling me that.

I know we are both concerned with the question of where and how is oil produced in the earth. Is it from fossil sources or from non-biotic origins? If oil can be found, and it has been found, at levels below the levels where living organisms came into existence, then it has had to be manufactured from some other materials besides the elements found in biological systems. The main atomic elements found im biological systems are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, phosphorus, and sulfur, the latter two in lesser amounts. Since, according to the Laws of Thermodfynamics, matter cannot be destroyed nor created anew, but can only be changed in form, much of the oil produced does not contain much if any of these elements. Oxygen is found in compounds of rocks, such as calcium carbonate, CaCO3 (subscript 3), and may be found dissolved in some oils. Petroleum is in the vaious forms of hydrocarbons (containing only hydrogen and carbon), and some of these may even be in solid form as tars.

As for the argument that oil fields have not refilled, that may not be totally true. In a previous forum I attended, I had some references to this information. People have noted that previously dried up oil wells had begun to refill, although not neccessarily as productive as before. And, by digging deeper in the same dried up oil fields, and past the fossil levels, they have found their wells to be productrive. Tectonic shifts and earthquakes cannot explaiin everyone of these observations.

The alternative sources of oil in sands, shalem etc,, are more accessible, but, as you said, more expensive in processing for petroleum. The air, water, soil, etc., pollution from utilizing petroleum for our energy needs may force us to rely on wind, solar, and other less harmful sources of energy. Unfortunately, the oil companies are opposed to these alternative methods, because they can make oil profitable for their companies via corporate controls over government laws and advertising to the public. This is a capitalistic economy which does not answer to the perople's needs and wants, and is not concerned with efficiency and conservation of effort and expenditure.

Adele

Messages In This Thread
“Big Brother” may end up being very, very small - by Adele Edisen - 24-06-2013, 06:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FAA to Propose New Rules For Small Drones in Nation's Skies Ed Jewett 8 4,786 01-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  A Small but Significant Controversy in Music Magda Hassan 1 2,893 10-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett