Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blackwater psyop: Erik Prince as Col Walter Kurtz
In my judgement, the Vanity Fair article is a prime example of a psyop and the construction of a myth in the service of a political agenda.

The author is deliberately, disarmingly, upfront about his background:

Quote:(Full disclosure: In the 1990s, before becoming a journalist for CBS and then NBC News, I was a C.I.A. attorney. My contract was not renewed, under contentious circumstances.)

The article then confronts, head-on, the major accusations made against Blackwater.

Except, it doesn't really. It allows Erik Prince to put his case, and repeatedly frames him as a man of action:

Quote:Sometimes considered arrogant and reclusive—Howard Hughes without the O.C.D.—he nonetheless enters competitions that combine mountain-biking, beach running, ocean kayaking, and rappelling.

The common denominator is a relentless intensity that seems to have no Off switch. Seated in the back of a Boeing 777 en route to Afghanistan, Prince leafs through Defense News while the film Taken beams from the in-flight entertainment system. In the movie, Liam Neeson plays a retired C.I.A. officer who mounts an aggressive rescue effort after his daughter is kidnapped in Paris. Neeson’s character warns his daughter’s captors:
If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills … skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you [don’t] let my daughter go now … I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
Prince comments, “I used that movie as a teaching tool for my girls.” (The father of seven, Prince remarried after his first wife died of cancer in 2003.) “I wanted them to understand the dangers out there. And I wanted them to know how I would respond.”

It also frames Prince as a devoted family man, and a self-styled visionary on whom the mystic light shines:

Quote:You can’t escape the impression that Prince sees himself as somehow destined, his mission anointed. It comes out even in the most personal of stories. During the flight, he tells of being in Kabul in September 2008 and receiving a two a.m. call from his wife, Joanna. Prince’s son Charlie, one year old at the time, had fallen into the family swimming pool. Charlie’s brother Christian, then 12, pulled him out of the water, purple and motionless, and successfully performed CPR. Christian and three siblings, it turns out, had recently received Red Cross certification at the Blackwater training camp.
But there are intimations of a higher power at work as the story continues. Desperate to get home, Prince scrapped one itinerary, which called for a stay-over at the Marriott in Islamabad, and found a direct flight. That night, at the time Prince would have been checking in, terrorists struck the hotel with a truck bomb, killing more than 50. Prince says simply, “Christian saved Charlie’s life and Charlie saved mine.” At times, his sense of his own place in history can border on the evangelical. When pressed about suggestions that he’s a mercenary—a term he loathes—he rattles off the names of other freelance military figures, even citing Lafayette, the colonists’ ally during the Revolutionary War.

The essence of the piece is the suggestion that Prince & Blackwater do the dirty work that the CIA cannot officially do. Indeed, the big claim is that Blackwater does what the CIA cannot do whilst being directly in the pay of the CIA. That Blackwater is a (plausibly deniable) asset of the CIA.

In short: the ruthlessly efficient work of Blackwater makes America safer.

And now, in an act of treachery, Prince and his company are being unfairly hung out to dry by their commercial competitors and, implicitly, by liberal journalists who have no stomach for the fight.

Erik Prince is framed as Col Walter E Kurtz - in his prescient, lucid, visionary moments. The man who sees beyond tired, conventional, morality and does what has to be done to keep his family and his country safe from evil.

The author, Ciralsky, has clearly been granted exceptional access to Prince and Blackwater. And has repaid that access with a hagiographical justification of the man and his company.

But more has been revealed than was wise....

Take this intriguing passage:

Quote:Blackwater has been in Afghanistan since 2002. At the time, the C.I.A.’s executive director, A. B. “Buzzy” Krongard, responding to his operatives’ complaints of being “worried sick about the Afghans’ coming over the fence or opening the doors,” enlisted the company to offer protection for the agency’s Kabul station. Going “low-pro,” or low-profile, paid off: not a single C.I.A. employee, according to sources close to the company, died in Afghanistan while under Blackwater’s protection. (Talk about a tight-knit bunch. Krongard would later serve as an unpaid adviser to Blackwater’s board, until 2007. And his brother Howard “Cookie” Krongard—the State Department’s inspector general—had to recuse himself from Blackwater-related oversight matters after his brother’s involvement with the company surfaced. Buzzy, in response, stepped down.)
As the agency’s confidence in Blackwater grew, so did the company’s responsibilities, expanding from static protection to mobile security—shadowing agency personnel, ever wary of suicide bombers, ambushes, and roadside devices, as they moved about the country. By 2005, Blackwater, accustomed to guarding C.I.A. personnel, was starting to look a little bit like the C.I.A. itself. Enrique “Ric” Prado joined Blackwater after serving as chief of operations for the agency’s Counterterrorism Center (CTC). A short time later, Prado’s boss, J. Cofer Black, the head of the CTC, moved over to Blackwater, too. He was followed, in turn, by his superior, Rob Richer, second-in-command of the C.I.A.’s clandestine service. Of the three, Cofer Black had the outsize reputation. As Bob Woodward recounted in his book Bush at War, on September 13, 2001, Black had promised President Bush that when the C.I.A. was through with al-Qaeda “they will have flies walking across their eyeballs.” According to Woodward, “Black became known in Bush’s inner circle as the ‘flies-on-the-eyeballs guy.’” Richer and Black soon helped start a new company, Total Intelligence Solutions (which collects data to help businesses assess risks overseas), but in 2008 both men left Blackwater, as did company president Gary Jackson this year.

“Buzzy” Krongard and Blackwater have been operating in Afghanistan since 2002!?!?!

Oh my oh my.

Talk about leaving deep political tracks in the high snowy passes of the Hindu Kush. The wind was supposed to blow those tracks away years and years ago....
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war

Messages In This Thread
Blackwater psyop: Erik Prince as Col Walter Kurtz - by Jan Klimkowski - 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  'US embassy official Blackwater agent' and he's using fake number plates. Magda Hassan 1 3,855 29-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Monaco's former intelligence adviser says the prince owes him money for cover ups. Magda Hassan 2 3,049 26-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Helen Reyes
  CIA used Blackwater-linked mercenaries as journalists Magda Hassan 0 2,691 05-09-2009, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Walter Bowart's book "Operation Mind Control - The Cryptocracy's Plan to Psychocivlise You" Magda Hassan 0 5,594 19-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan