Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning to US Journalists: Do NOT Ask Difficult Questions of Powerful CEOs
06.06.12 - 5:11 PM

Warning to US Corporations: Some Reporters WILL Press Charges

by Jon Queally

Last week -- in a piece titled, Warning to US Journalists: Do NOT Ask Difficult Questions of Powerful CEOs -- we reported how Mike Elk, a journalist for In These Times, had a microphone ripped from his hands when trying to question Honeywell CEO David Cote during a public event in Washington and was subsequently barricaded in a room by a Honeywell employee and GOP congressional aide. In the direct aftermath of the incident, he declined an offer by Capitol Police to press charges.

On Tuesday, however, Elk changed his mind.

Statement from Mike Elk:
"[On Tuesday 6/5], I filed criminal charges for false imprisonment against Honeywell External Communications Director Rob Ferris and simple assault charges against Nicolas D. Muzin, Senior Advisor to Congressman Tim Scott (R-SC). At first, I was hesitant to press criminal charges because I did not want to seem like a "cry baby". However after taking to other journalists as well as many concerned Congressional staffers, I decided that allowing the intimidation of reporters in the US Capitol to go unchallenged is a scary precedent to set. The US Capitol is a public building open to reporters and private individuals should not be allowed to impede on freedom of press. Honeywell may financially own the Congress, but the building is still public property & should be open to the press.

The charges will be forwarded to the US Attorney's office who will decide whether or not they will prosecute the matter to the full extent of the law. I believe that as members of the press its important we continue talking about this story so as to stand up for freedom of the press and the ability to ask tough questions of public figures in public buildings."
For additional background information and reporting see the PR Daily.
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller

Messages In This Thread
Warning to US Journalists: Do NOT Ask Difficult Questions of Powerful CEOs - by Keith Millea - 06-06-2012, 11:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on the Missile Warning in Hawaii Peter Lemkin 1 7,912 15-01-2018, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Prescott Bush - a little old-time TV softball questions/answers Peter Lemkin 0 7,420 25-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  BBC's treatment of Savile scoop journalists Magda Hassan 0 2,906 03-08-2015, 02:38 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Journalists Who Hate Whistleblowers David Guyatt 0 2,603 27-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  They'll be waterboarding journalists soon.... Peter Lemkin 3 4,148 14-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Homeland Security Given Green Light to Monitor American Journalists Magda Hassan 11 6,928 27-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  IDF Censor to Monitor Journalists' Social Media Accounts Magda Hassan 1 2,427 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Journalists Funded By ‘Vulture Capitalist’ Paul Singer Campaign To Smear Wall Street Protests Magda Hassan 2 3,406 15-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  Email Address of Journalists, News Editors, TV Anchors & Web Reporters Bernice Moore 1 6,194 19-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  The Federal Government Paid Journalists to Sabotage Trail Keith Millea 0 2,539 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Keith Millea