Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOJ Crosses New Line in Leak Investigation of Fox News Correspondent James Rosen

DOJ Crosses New Line in Leak Investigation of Fox News Correspondent James Rosen

By Jack Goldsmith
Monday, May 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM
A few years ago I wrote an op-ed that gave these reasons (among others) why the USG should not prosecute Julian Assange for the WikiLeaks disclosures of State Department cables:
A conviction [of Assange] would also cause collateral damage to American media freedoms. It is difficult to distinguish Assange or WikiLeaks from The Washington Post. National security reporters for The Post solicit and receive classified information regularly. And The Post regularly publishes it. The Obama administration has suggested it can prosecute Assange without impinging on press freedoms by charging him not with publishing classified information but with conspiring with Bradley Manning, the alleged government leaker, to steal and share the information. News reports suggest that this theory is falling apart because the government cannot find evidence that Assange induced Bradley to leak. Even if it could, such evidence would not distinguish the many American journalists who actively aid leakers of classified information.
The assumption of my argument was that the extension of anti-leak laws to include press solicitation of classified information would be novel and potentially constitutionally problematic.
Today, the Washington Post reports that the Obama administration has now crossed that line (or, more accurately, crossed the line several years ago). The story makes clear that the Justice Department leak investigation of a former State Department contractor Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, who was indicted in 2010, is now operating on the theory that solicitation of classified information by a reporter can constitute a violation of a component of the Espionage Act. In a 2010 application for a search warrant of the email account of Fox News correspondent James Rosen, FBI Agent Reginald B. Reyes stated his belief that the account would contain evidence of Mr. Kim's allegedly illegal leak of classified information, and added: "there is probable cause to believe that the Reporter has committed or is committing a violation of section 793(d), as an aider and abettor and/or co-conspirator, to which the materials relate" (emphasis added).
Steven Aftergood of Secrecy News notes that the legal theory underlying the warrant constitutes "a startling expansion of the Obama Administration's war on leaks." Aftergood adds:
The Reyes affidavit all but eliminates the traditional distinction in classified leak investigations between sources, who are bound by a non-disclosure agreement, and reporters, who are protected by the First Amendment as long as they do not commit a crime. (There is no allegation that Mr. Rosen bribed, threatened or coerced anyone to gain the disclosure of restricted information.)
After quoting FBI descriptions of Rosen soliciting and encouraging Kim to disclose the information, and comparisons of Rosen to "an intelligence officer would run an [sic] clandestine intelligence source," Aftergood says: "What makes this alarming is that soliciting' and encouraging' the disclosure of classified information are routine, daily activities in national security reporting."
Aftergood's analysis is worth a full read, as is Glenn Greenwald's.
http://www.lawfareblog.com/2013/05/doj-c...mes-rosen/
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Just another Obama strike for neo-fascist Amerika.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
David Guyatt Wrote:Just another Obama strike for neo-fascist Amerika.

It's like a StarWars movie...except my county is the Death Star.....:darthvader: run by the 'dark side of the force'.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

The AP Spying Story: What You Aren't Being Told

Tuesday, 28. May 2013
In recent weeks we have been told to focus on a series of scandals which, we are told, are rocking the Obama Administration. Has the media finally found outrage over the Obama regime's use of drone strikes to kill scores of innocent women and children in countries that are not even at war with the United States? Or the DOJ's recent admission that the strikes had indeed killed American citizens? Or John Kerry's recent attempts to once again lead the American public into supporting military intervention in the Middle East based on provably false claims of WMD?Of course not. No, the media's sudden discovery of outrage is directed at an entirely different scandal: the fact that reporters have now allegedly found themselves in the government's crosshairs.

Please donate if you can to Sibel. She has a family to support and a few good journos too. [URL="http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/2013/05/28/the-eyeopener-report-the-ap-spying-story-what-you-arent-being-told/"]
http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/2013/05/...eing-told/[/URL]
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Attorney General Holder should have been gone after "fast and furious". He's a criminal thug.

Dawn
I'm more and more impressed with SE the more I read her. I've just bought her book.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
David Guyatt Wrote:I'm more and more impressed with SE the more I read her. I've just bought her book.

I just bought it and read it myself. The main takeaway is her fearless passion to fight govt lying and the infinite willingness of the govt to lie. Oh, did I say fearless?
"We'll know our disinformation campaign is complete when everything the American public believes is false." --William J. Casey, D.C.I

"We will lead every revolution against us." --Theodore Herzl
Lauren Johnson Wrote:
David Guyatt Wrote:I'm more and more impressed with SE the more I read her. I've just bought her book.

I just bought it and read it myself. The main takeaway is her fearless passion to fight govt lying and the infinite willingness of the govt to lie. Oh, did I say fearless?

I'm looking forward to it and plan to read it during my summer holiday...
Dawn Meredith Wrote:Attorney General Holder should have been gone after "fast and furious". He's a criminal thug.

Dawn
Sounds like he'll have a job for life thenViking

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fake news for the win Tracy Riddle 14 27,457 16-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  Foxes Now Guard the Facebook News Henhouse David Guyatt 3 7,999 22-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  What's Wrong With Channel 4 News David Guyatt 1 4,812 09-12-2016, 12:14 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  NBC News: "CIA Prepping for Possible Cyber Strike Against Russia" John Knoble 7 6,359 19-10-2016, 07:38 AM
  Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity may leave Fox News if Roger Ailes departs over sexual harrassment suit. Drew Phipps 0 2,808 19-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  RT- More Thruthful Than U.S News Networks ? Kenneth Kapel 0 2,003 29-08-2014, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Kenneth Kapel
  Chis Hays NOT Following the Line Kenneth Kapel 2 2,322 29-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Kenneth Kapel
  Deconstruting Fox News and ISIS Magda Hassan 2 2,206 26-06-2014, 09:30 AM
  Nick Clogg's propaganda line against Nigel Farage: the second EU referendum debate on British TV Paul Rigby 8 5,275 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  Manufacturing the news Magda Hassan 0 2,974 21-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan