Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama rebuffs Israel
I've been waiting for this day to come.

The recent visit to the US by IDF Chief Gabi Ashkenazi has been a disaster for Israel.

Paul Craig Roberts states the official reason for the visit was to warn America about the threat from Iran but it seems no-one wanted to hear. He failed to meet the President, VP, Defense Sectretary Robert Gates, National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair and the Chairman of the JCS Admiral Mike Mullen (who was apparently out of town). All Ashkenazi got was the meagre consolation prize of meeting with "designated" US envoy for the Persian Gulf--and longtime Israel firster--Denis Ross and Secretary of State Hilary Clinton:

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune..._03_16.asp

Funnily enough, Haaretz saw the visit differently:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1071490.html

During Clinton's recent trip to Israel she recieved "written recommendations" on US policy toward Iran from Ehud Barak and Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, including a US commitment to limit its dialogue with Iran.

"The Israel Government and military have been alarmed by the rapid and dramatic reversal in US policy toward Iran" is a direct quote from the recommendations, according to a diplomatic source.

In any case, it looks like the US is not listening and now wants action from Israel on the Palestinian issue and the so-called peace process before any discussions about Iran. Of course, Israel doesn't want any peace with the Palestinians, unless its the master/servant kind of peace. Settlements in occupied territories continue and there is talk in Israel about expelling Israeli Arabs from Jerusalem. Transferral is the nicer term being used by Israeli politicians.

The Israeli people have just voted for hardliners to control their future and they seem to be using the Old Testament book of Isaiah as their guide. That's the Israeli education system at work.

The big question is will Israel go it alone? I don't know but they are certainly insane enough to try it.

p.s. The last four letters of the IDF Chief's surname are apt.
Wow. I can't really imagine the US not supporting Israel. They are still bankrolling them. Or still bankrolling the US arms industry I should say. Interesting. They usually get the red carpet treatment. Unless they want it totally off the books of course but this sure looks like a snub.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
I don't know the usual formalities in these situations, but would a Chief of Staff usually expect to meet the top dogs?

I also noted that he did meet Obama's NSC adviser which must be considered an important meeting surely? So I'm yet to be convinced that there is a sea change in Washington on this issue...

Quote:Ashkenazi also met during his trip with General James Jones, national security adviser to President Barack Obama, to discuss other Middle East issues.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
David Guyatt Wrote:I don't know the usual formalities in these situations, but would a Chief of Staff usually expect to meet the top dogs?

I also noted that he did meet Obama's NSC adviser which must be considered an important meeting surely? So I'm yet to be convinced that there is a sea change in Washington on this issue...

Quote:Ashkenazi also met during his trip with General James Jones, national security adviser to President Barack Obama, to discuss other Middle East issues.

I don't see it as a major sea change just yet but its a significant rearrangement of the previous relationship. America has decided its not going to war, or support a war, until negotiations have taken place. America can't afford it anyway.

For the head of the IDF being unable to meet his US counterpart is a massive snub, imo. Israeli brass have always been treated like royalty when visiting the US.

America still supports Israel, militarily and financially, but they won't be dragged into another costly war for Israel's benefit. That's it.
Let's hope so Mark.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syria: The New Suez Attack by France, UK and Israel also Fails David Guyatt 1 10,661 25-09-2018, 12:25 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Leaked John Kerry Audio: President Obama Intentionally Allowed Rise of ISIS Lauren Johnson 3 9,173 03-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  Obama's Last Stand Against War on Syria David Guyatt 0 6,097 05-11-2016, 10:29 AM
  Syria - Israel, The Elephant in the Room? David Guyatt 0 5,038 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
  The Drums of war are beating: Hezbollah versus Israel Lauren Johnson 0 3,277 31-05-2016, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Israel defense minister quits Tracy Riddle 4 5,582 21-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Michael Barwell
  Israel and Saudia Arabia BFF Magda Hassan 8 9,529 10-05-2016, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  The Saudi-Israel question David Guyatt 2 4,606 07-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Last Post: R.K. Locke
  Lone Wolf terrorists in Israel: Food for thought Drew Phipps 0 3,511 21-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  The Final Solution: Give Israel the Means to Destroy Iran Lauren Johnson 1 32,220 12-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle