Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former President Bush honored with Kennedy award
Fucking hell. You couldn't make this shit up.

Former President Bush honored with Kennedy award

By AMY CRAWFORD
May. 4, 2014 4:36 PM EDT
You are here

Home » George H. Bush » Former President Bush honored with Kennedy award

Caroline Kennedy

George W. Bush now home after heart procedure

BOSTON (AP) Former President George H.W. Bush was honored Sunday with a Kennedy "courage" award for agreeing to raise taxes to confront a spiraling deficit, jeopardizing his presidency that ended after just one term.

The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston honored Bush with a 2014 John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.

The award crossed generations and political parties. It was given by Jack Schlossberg, son of the late Democratic president's daughter, Caroline Kennedy, to Lauren Bush, granddaughter of the former Republican president.

Conservatives denounced Bush for raising taxes, breaking a key promise in his successful 1988 campaign for the White House.

Schlossberg said the award recognizes Bush for taking action, even if it was unpopular.

"We celebrate courage today, in a moment of profound change and challenge, in a world gripped by partisan gridlock and inaction," he said.

The budget deal enacted "responsible and desperately needed reforms" at the expense of Bush's popularity and his chances for re-election, Schlossberg said.

"America's gain was President Bush's loss, and his decision to put country above party and political prospects makes him an example of a modern profile in courage that is all too rare," he said.

In a message read by his granddaughter, Bush expressed regret he could not accept the award in person. He blamed his absence on "a nasty rumor" that the evening's awards dinner would include broccoli a vegetable the 41st president famously dislikes.

"Candidly speaking, my grandfather didn't want to raise taxes," Lauren Bush said as she accepted the award. "But ... he felt he owed the American people action and results. Compromise is a dirty word in Washington today. ... But once we get back to realizing the importance of actual governance, I suspect this too will pass."

Also honored with a Profile in Courage Award was Paul W. Bridges, former mayor of Uvalda, Georgia, who was voted out of office after he spoke out against a law that aimed to drive undocumented immigrants out of the state. Bridges, a Republican elected in 2009, argued that the law would separate families and harm the local agricultural economy.

The award is named for Kennedy's 1957 book, "Profiles in Courage," which tells the stories of eight U.S. senators who took unpopular stands.
“The most difficult subjects can be explained to the most slow-witted man if he has not formed any idea of them already; but the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.”
― Leo Tolstoy,
Part of the cover-up is psy-ops terror.
I wonder what Kennedy would think about this? Still getting the rich to cough up at all is a dangerous thing.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
The Americans with Disabilities Act was probably the best thing GHWB did. It really shows you how far to the right the GOP has moved that he seems like a moderate President now.
Too bad his son messed it up with "No child gets ahead." It sounded good at first, but in reality what it did was prevent teachers from working with kids with disabilities on THEIR level, and the crippling emphasis on standardized tests hasn't helped anyone, disabilities or not.
When I heard about this it made me throw up in my mouth, a little.::vomit::
Not surprising in a country that murdered Martin Luther King Jr and then made a national holiday for him.

Soon we will see the Johnson award for governmental ethics.
Albert Doyle Wrote:Not surprising in a country that murdered Martin Luther King Jr and then made a national holiday for him.

Soon we will see the Johnson award for governmental ethics.

We have a long tradition of that like killing most of the Native Americans and naming everything after them.
The John Wayne standard. Shoot first, honor later...
Marlene Zenker Wrote:When I heard about this it made me throw up in my mouth, a little.::vomit::

It made me ill as well. I thought Caroline knew some of the truth about her father's assassination.
In fact I thought that was why she got out of the Senate race.
I Know her brother was up to speed. And her cousin RFK Jr.
Beyond sick. Waiting to see what Russ Baker writes about this.

Dawn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JFK Goes After Anti-Kennedy Right Wing Extremists Gil Jesus 0 467 27-12-2022, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Gil Jesus
  Trump and Kennedy: Is Politico For Real? Jim DiEugenio 4 5,646 12-11-2020, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Jim DiEugenio Reviews The House of Kennedy Jim DiEugenio 0 2,148 26-04-2020, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Two more members of the Kennedy clan have died not naturally. Richard Coleman 0 2,596 04-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Richard Coleman
  It never stops: Castro killed Kennedy Jim DiEugenio 0 1,576 09-01-2020, 05:57 PM
  Robert F. Kennedy jr. John Kowalski 13 19,271 25-11-2019, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Tom Bowden
  Kennedy and Cuba: Nat'l Security Archive Richard Coleman 0 1,671 04-10-2019, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Richard Coleman
  Vietnam Declassified: Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon Jim DiEugenio 0 5,410 17-12-2018, 05:54 PM
  President kennedy assassination was solved Harry Dean 2 6,036 16-11-2018, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  An interesting sidebar to President Johnson's Vietnam War Tom Bowden 5 9,159 17-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser