Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird stuff I think about sometimes
Symbolism and other weird crap I think about for no apparent reason.

Think of a drum major's mace. A stick with two chains entwined around it and a ball on top. It's like a caduceus without the wings. So the ball is the mind. I guess that's mens in Latin and manas in Sanskrit. Really what the mind does is measure stuff, quantitatively or qualitatively - whatever. "mensuration" Mens and manas seem to be related to moon. Some measure time with it. Think of the ball on a mace as the moon. Now put an eagle on top. Now it has wings. "The Eagle has landed"
Those who must silence others for speaking the truth cannot be innocent.
I would say Charles, that the human mind is far more than a piece of measuring equipment. It is the function by which time and space may be travelled.

Interesting btw, your thought that the Mace is a caduseus. I'm sure you have it right on this, as it makes perfect sense to me.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Yes, there just might be a horde of ancient irregular travelers out and about, speculum in hand, grabbing the BULL by the tail, and looking the situation right in the eye.
Those who must silence others for speaking the truth cannot be innocent.
::laughingdog::
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
If looking up a horse's arse is a measure of human inquiry, then it's little wonder why we're in such a mess as we are today.

On the other hand, others see things differently; Einstein saw imagination as absolutely vital:

Quote:"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." Albert Einstein

And I would further add, "all there ever was to know and understand."

Perhaps Mark Twain put it best though: "You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."

The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Charles Keeble Wrote:"The Eagle has landed"

What I'm thinking is that on 20Dec, I listened to that tune by 'Saxon', the spandex wearing, permeated strutters.
Martin Luther King - "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Albert Camus - "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion".
Douglas MacArthur — "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."
Albert Camus - "Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear."
Humans are creatures who live most of their lives in a mental world full of symbols and icons. As far as we can tell, no other animal does that.

Happy Holidays, everyone! A time when we are surrounded by symbols and icons. Cheers