Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War on drugs was really against blacks and antiwar left
https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

According to Dan Baum:
Quote:At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
John Ehrlichmann is a Watergate co-conspiritor and was Nixon's domestic policy adviser.
The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".
Carsten Wiethoff Wrote:https://harpers.org/archive/2016/04/legalize-it-all/

According to Dan Baum:
Quote:At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
John Ehrlichmann is a Watergate co-conspiritor and was Nixon's domestic policy adviser.

Quite an admission eh. No doubt the same policy was carried forward by Reagan with the flood on crack cocaine.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
I just got finished with this book Potash's, "Drugs as Weapons Against Us," which has the same theory but also examples of people he believes were specific targets, mostly in the music industry.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1937584925/?tag...bkii667x_e
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
Here's a link to this article:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/03/23/ni.../21332413/
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."
Nixon Policy Advisor Admits He Invented War On Drugs to Suppress 'Anti-War Left and Black People'

[Image: wrqj3qd6jor6k18jatpe.jpg]
Julianne Escobedo Shepherd

[Image: mcnxtfxovodbe8fgwq6i.jpg]

Dan Baum, writing in support of drug legalization at Harper's, has unleashed a frank 1994 quote from former Nixon policy advisor John Ehrlichman, and as inadvertently salient an argument for legalizing drugs as any I've ever seen:

Quote:
At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."
I must have looked shocked. Ehrlichman just shrugged. Then he looked at his watch, handed me a signed copy of his steamy spy novel, The Company, and led me to the door.

That drugs have been used as a tactic to marginalize and imprison peoples who are inconvenient, so to speak, for conservatives and neo-cons doesn't really come as a surpriseand not just because Nixon was a noted racist. The War on Drugs was a Nixon invention but, as Baum explains, it's been useful for every president thereafter, and its function as a suppressive tool didn't exactly wanerecall the way it defined Reagan's crack era, which was funneled into black neighborhoods by the CIA and then used to decimate an entire generation. Or the way relatively minor drug offenses are the main contributor to the current mass incarceration crisis, which disproportionately affects young black and brown men.

Adjacent to this, Baum lays out a clear and logical argument for the way legalization could work, using Portugal and the Netherlands as precedents, and advocating for it to remain in the control of the statea "state-run monopoly"rather than free markets, lest addiction become a market incentive the way it has with alcohol and cigarettes. (Of course, the deeper problem of racial prejudice remains strong in this scenario toothe legal weed market has already locked out people of color to a dramatic and unfair degree, and black people are much more likely to be arrested for pot-related offenses even in states where it's legal.) Baum cites the way marijuana is regulated in his home state of Colorado (of course this dude is from Boulder), but also makes the case that weed is the path to killing the drug war, in its capacity as an admitted racist and antiliberal Nixonian tool:
The citizens of the U.S. jurisdictions that legalized marijuana may have set in motion more machinery than most of them had imagined. "Without marijuana prohibition, the government can't sustain the drug war," Ira Glasser, who ran the American Civil Liberties Union from 1978 to 2001, told me. "Without marijuana, the use of drugs is negligible, and you can't justify the law-enforcement and prison spending on the other drugs. Their use is vanishingly small. I always thought that if you could cut the marijuana head off the beast, the drug war couldn't be sustained."
Read the whole piece here.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
See also https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/sho...tiwar-left

Perhaps the threads can be combined, thanks!
The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power of ten: How neocons and the fake-left took over British establishment Paul Rigby 0 3,308 15-03-2015, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  Jeffrey M Bale’s “Right-wing Terrorists and the Extraparliamentary Left in Post-World War 2 Europe Paul Rigby 0 2,992 26-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby