Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
German government gives no answers for spy chief's exit
Not sure what is going on here so I am putting it here until there is more information.
Quote:

German government gives no answers for spy chief's exit

BERLIN | By Noah Barkin , Thorsten Severin and Sabine Siebold

[Image: ?m=02&d=20160427&t=2&i=1134764620&w=644&...XNPEC3Q19P]
Gerhard Schindler gestures during a visit of the Reuters office in Berlin, March 5, 2014.
Reuters/Fabrizio Bensch/File Photo

Angela Merkel's government refused on Wednesday to explain the sudden removal of Germany's spy chief, a surprise move which catapulted the BND intelligence service back into the headlines after a series of scandals that embarrassed the chancellor.
The exit of Gerhard Schindler comes at a time when Germany, like other European countries, is trying to cope with a surging threat from Islamic State militants who launched large-scale attacks in Paris and Brussels in recent months.
Schindler, 63, has led the BND since 2012 and had been expected to continue for another two years overseeing an overhaul in the agency and its move into a gleaming new headquarters in central Berlin.
His position had been seen as safe after he weathered intense pressure a year ago, when it was revealed that the BND had helped the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) spy on European allies.
Those revelations sparked public outrage in a country suspicious of surveillance because of the excesses of Nazi and Communist secret police in its past. A parliamentary investigation was launched along with a legislative push to reform the BND. Schindler accepted that BND field offices needed to be reined in and welcomed the reform drive, arguing that the agency's mission should be spelled out more clearly.
But news leaked out late on Tuesday that he was to be relieved of his duties from July 1 and replaced by Bruno Kahl, a little known official in the finance ministry who is a close ally of influential Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble.
Merkel's spokesman Steffen Seibert repeatedly rebuffed questions about why Schindler was being replaced.
"I have nothing to say about the reasons behind this decision," Seibert told a news conference.
Even senior lawmakers in the ruling parties complained that they were caught off guard by the news.
In a news release on Wednesday morning, Merkel's chief of staff Peter Altmaier thanked Schindler for his work and stressed that the BND faced "major challenges" in the coming years, including adapting its mission to new security threats and overhauling its technology and personnel.
His underlying message seemed to be that the government preferred someone at the top of the agency who could see these changes through from start to finish. Kahl is 10 years younger than Schindler.
But senior officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, also suggested that Schindler, who was known for speaking openly and frankly, lacked the political sensitivity that Merkel and her top ministers value.
One said Merkel was keen to keep the issue of BND reform, which plays to the strengths of rival parties on the left, out of the 2017 election campaign and preferred to have someone at the top of the agency who could be counted on to cooperate.
"There are more questions than answers at the moment about this change," Burkard Lischka, a lawmaker and spokesman on domestic security issues for the center-left Social Democrats (SPD), who rule in coalition with Merkel's conservatives.
Stephan Mayer, who holds the same post for the conservatives in the Bundestag lower house, said: "I simply can't understand this decision". He described Schindler as a "very good BND president".
POLITICAL CONSIDERATIONS
Some lawmakers speculated that health issues might have been behind his exit. Schindler missed several weeks recently with tinnitus, or ringing in the ears. One pointed to recent revelations that Schindler's sister is married to a spokesman for the anti-immigration Alternative for Germany (AfD) party.
But most of the dozen or so officials Reuters spoke to dismissed these as irrelevant factors, pointing instead to political considerations and an accumulation of BND problems, starting with the NSA revelations last year.
In early December, the BND incurred the wrath of the government by publishing a brief report in which it accused Saudi Arabia of a shift to "impulsive" policies under young Deputy Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.
A year before, a BND employee was arrested for passing on secrets to the CIA and the Russians.
Guido Steinberg, an expert at the German Institute for Security and International Studies in Berlin, said that at the root of the problem was a "naive" view among German politicians about the role of a spy agency.
"At a time when developments in the Middle East can have a big impact domestically, Germany cannot afford a weak BND. But I don't expect this to change," he said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-german...ews&rpc=69
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
"But news leaked out late on Tuesday that he was to be relieved of his duties from July 1 and replaced by Bruno Kahl, a little known official in the finance ministry who is a close ally of influential Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble."

An unusual choice. This is probably the key: " (...) a close ally of influential Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble."
Ralf Anders Wrote:"But news leaked out late on Tuesday that he was to be relieved of his duties from July 1 and replaced by Bruno Kahl, a little known official in the finance ministry who is a close ally of influential Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble."

An unusual choice. This is probably the key: " (...) a close ally of influential Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble."

So Ralf, you're thinking that Merkel's days are numbered and Schaeuble is manoeuvring to take over?
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
David Guyatt Wrote:So Ralf, you're thinking that Merkel's days are numbered and Schaeuble is manoeuvring to take over?

Possibly. Or he just wants to tighten his grip on the German deep state.

Honestly, I don't know. I never liked Schaeuble much but until now did not connect him to national security matters.

As an aside: Can it be that the DPF has overlooked the most important deep political event in Germany since Willy Brandt got ousted? The NSU?

I don't have the time to expand on this. Here is some information from 2011:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/no...ce-scandal

In the meantime, a number of witnesses and informants have died under, you guessed it, suspicious circumstances.
Ralf Anders Wrote:I don't have the time to expand on this. Here is some information from 2011:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/no...ce-scandal

In the meantime, a number of witnesses and informants have died under, you guessed it, suspicious circumstances.

Wiki has another tip of the iceberg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_S...nderground
At least the trial against Zschaepe is noted in Jan's post:
https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/sho...gang-trial

and
https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/sho...error-cell
The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".
Carsten Wiethoff Wrote:At least the trial against Zschaepe is noted in Jan's post:
https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/sho...gang-trial

and
https://deeppoliticsforum.com/forums/sho...error-cell

Ah, thanks. I take it all back.
I suppose given the background in the 1950's that a number of members of the BfV were former members of the Gestapo this should not suprise us. I imagine the US had a hand in the BfV as they did in Gehlen's BND.

Another article on this is HERE.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PLane carrying German passenger crashes in France David Guyatt 59 21,074 06-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Last Post: R.K. Locke
  A Conundrum - Answers Please? David Guyatt 7 3,958 21-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  China ‘Incredibly Aggressive’ in Cyber Theft: Ex-CIA Chief - CNBC Bernice Moore 0 2,357 16-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  Question: Factual or Propaganda? "British government begins stealing its peoples’ bank deposits.." Ed Jewett 3 4,297 13-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  Ex-C.I.A. Chief Says U.S. Should Create A New Internet To Avoid Cyber Attacks Bernice Moore 1 2,388 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
  Government orders you tube to Censor protest videos Bernice Moore 0 2,305 20-05-2011, 09:47 PM
  Merkel says German multicultural society has failed Magda Hassan 2 3,114 18-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  U.S. Government Wants All Providers of Encrypted Internet Services to Implement Key Escrow Ed Jewett 1 2,580 28-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  US Police (?) find dead German tourists in Death Valley - AFP Helen Reyes 0 3,543 15-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Helen Reyes