Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Parry has died
Posting this here as I view Jim's work with Robert at Consortiumnews as being a continuance of his fine work on the JFK case.

Robert Parry, a fine journalist and the author of several excellent books on contemporary politics, has passed away. He ran the Consortiumnews site since 1995. He was one of the handful of journalists who practiced and exemplified independent journalism, and though I say 'handful' I'm having trouble thinking of many others. RIP Robert.

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/01/28/ro...rtiumnews/
Thanks Anthony. Was just going to post his passing too. A sad loss. A great journalist who made a big difference. Will be greatly missed. Deep condolences to his family and friends.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Sad news! Why is it that the good seem to die young and so many of the most evil people do not. Parry brought me and others who can see through the MSM propaganda many stories the 'Borg' wanted repressed or only represented with the official version. A man of high journalistic and humanistic values - gone but not forgotten.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
I cannot say how sad this makes me. The last time I felt this badly about a journalist dying was with Gary Webb.

Bob was one of the very few journalists who actually let people write about the JFK case from a critical viewpoint. Not assuming the WC was correct.

He was proud of the fact that he was contrary to much of the MSM on many different angles. And he was also proud that he did not accept advertising and simply stayed online through readers' donations.

His work in so many fields was simply stellar. And as he used to say, every day was a work day.

I miss the guy already.
Very sad news indeed. I saw this yesterday on fb. Will be missed beyond words.
I didn't have the pleasure as so many others had to experience the soul of this remarkable human being, but certainly echo the respectful sentiments already shared. Rest In Peace, Robert Parry, Rest In Peace.
Oliver Stone on Facebook -

Quote:Robert Parry's death Saturday night leaves a giant hole in American journalism. To my mind, he exists now alongside I.F. Stone, Drew Pearson, George Seldes, Gary Webb, and others as seekers of truth at the steep price you seem to have to pay to follow your common sense and your integrity when they are in direct opposition to the tyranny of mainstream media conformity. Parry was in that mainstream at the Associated Press and Newsweek, and quit when he recognized how corrupt our reporting on the Pentagon's Central American wars had become. He went after Reagan's Iran-Contra scandal, which was far worse in my opinion than Watergate (and deliberately ignored BTW by Katharine Graham and her Washington Post; note how she's now being lionized in Spielberg's lame-brained "The Post").

Parry then made the connection to the corrupted election of 1980 when Reagan cynically and traitorously used the Iran hostages to get elected. Parry further investigated the Contra crack connection to the CIA in Central America, as well as the real story behind George H. W. Bush's hydra-headed role in this mess.

At Consortiumnews, the website he founded in 1995, he clarified the shoddy reporting on the 2000 election of Bush's son, George W. ('Dubya'), followed by his Administration's Iraq War lies. Parry also provided us with strong counter-narratives in crucial contemporary events such as Ukraine, Syria, the Magnistky Act, and 'Russiagate.'

The truth, as Parry often said, is that without an honest history of our country we are lost in an Alice-in-Wonderland void of poor and uninformed leadership. Obama, who should've known better, believed these false narratives about Reagan and ended up victimized by them. Parry also frequently repeated his reports, which may have driven his enemies crazy, but was crucial, I believe, to understanding their complexity. As audiences, we're inundated with the surface of events but seem unable to interpret them correctly; with intelligent, common-sense repetition (not the continual Russia-bashing of NY Times and WaPo), we learn and remember. There's a critical need for Parry's Consortiumnews to continue as a foundation for progressive, independent journalism. I hope, as the years go, you'll follow and contribute to this legacy and come to appreciate its importance in our present condition.
Nice one by Oliver.

Bob was very good in the film Stone executive produced, Ukraine on Fire.
Anthony Thorne Wrote:Oliver Stone on Facebook -

Quote:Robert Parry's death Saturday night leaves a giant hole in American journalism. To my mind, he exists now alongside I.F. Stone, Drew Pearson, George Seldes, Gary Webb, and others as seekers of truth at the steep price you seem to have to pay to follow your common sense and your integrity when they are in direct opposition to the tyranny of mainstream media conformity. Parry was in that mainstream at the Associated Press and Newsweek, and quit when he recognized how corrupt our reporting on the Pentagon's Central American wars had become. He went after Reagan's Iran-Contra scandal, which was far worse in my opinion than Watergate (and deliberately ignored BTW by Katharine Graham and her Washington Post; note how she's now being lionized in Spielberg's lame-brained "The Post").

Parry then made the connection to the corrupted election of 1980 when Reagan cynically and traitorously used the Iran hostages to get elected. Parry further investigated the Contra crack connection to the CIA in Central America, as well as the real story behind George H. W. Bush's hydra-headed role in this mess.

At Consortiumnews, the website he founded in 1995, he clarified the shoddy reporting on the 2000 election of Bush's son, George W. ('Dubya'), followed by his Administration's Iraq War lies. Parry also provided us with strong counter-narratives in crucial contemporary events such as Ukraine, Syria, the Magnistky Act, and 'Russiagate.'

The truth, as Parry often said, is that without an honest history of our country we are lost in an Alice-in-Wonderland void of poor and uninformed leadership. Obama, who should've known better, believed these false narratives about Reagan and ended up victimized by them. Parry also frequently repeated his reports, which may have driven his enemies crazy, but was crucial, I believe, to understanding their complexity. As audiences, we're inundated with the surface of events but seem unable to interpret them correctly; with intelligent, common-sense repetition (not the continual Russia-bashing of NY Times and WaPo), we learn and remember. There's a critical need for Parry's Consortiumnews to continue as a foundation for progressive, independent journalism. I hope, as the years go, you'll follow and contribute to this legacy and come to appreciate its importance in our present condition.

Thanks for sharing this gem, Mr. Thorne, two thumbs up at @ Oliver Stone's spot on sentiments.
He will be missed. Not many like him left, if any.
"Logic is all there is, and all there is must be logical."

"Truth is logic, and logic is truth."

"In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely." - Hunter S. Thompson

"A paranoid is someone who knows a little of what's going on. A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." - William S. Burroughs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Judge has died Dawn Meredith 112 119,493 14-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Two more members of the Kennedy clan have died not naturally. Richard Coleman 0 2,566 04-04-2020, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Richard Coleman
  Robert F. Kennedy jr. John Kowalski 13 19,108 25-11-2019, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Tom Bowden
  Lt. Col. "Dangerous" Dan Marvin has died. Magda Hassan 5 7,357 22-10-2018, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  David Mantik vs Robert Wagner Round 3 Jim DiEugenio 0 10,162 07-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  MEMO FOR RECORD from New release - PROJECT LONGSTRIDE and Robert Webster David Josephs 4 6,251 12-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Last Post: David Josephs
  Robert Redford and a memory from 1963 Anthony Thorne 1 4,314 27-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Adele Edisen has died; unwittingly entangled with JFK assassination players. Peter Lemkin 18 15,341 08-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Why Robert Kennedy would've hated Donald Trump Scott Kaiser 24 20,494 21-10-2016, 05:24 PM
Last Post: John Knoble
  The Kennedy Films of Robert Drew Jim DiEugenio 2 2,707 22-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio