Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Boeing the mother of all union busters or what?
http://www.seattlepi.com/business/411636...ource=mypi

Machinists: We offered Boeing 10-year, no-strike deal
'Betrayed': Workers say Boeing move union-busting, and bad business

By LEVI PULKKINEN and SCOTT GUTIERREZ
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF
Reardon and Machinist
Joshua Trujillo / P-I

EVERETT -- Wandering his union's parking lot across the street from Everett's Paine Field, Charlie Grieser clutched his paper coffee cup as he waded through the news crews toward Snohomish County Executive Aaron Reardon.

Grieser, a Machinists Union member who has been putting airliners together for 32 years at the Boeing Co. plant, didn't need any caffeine to shake off the fall chill. He was fired up by, in his view, his employer's betrayal.

Boeing already took billions in tax credits and handouts, Grieser told Reardon. Now, the company is taking the jobs promised by the 787 program and leaving Washington workers and taxpayers high and dry.

"They were given that money to build the 787 here, not half the 787 here," Grieser said after speaking to Reardon. "I think this is going to poison all of the state on Boeing."

That even half the assembly jobs associated with Boeing's first 21st Century commercial jet might remain in the state remained in question Wednesday evening as the perceived betrayal shook union halls around the Puget Sound. The company's move, at least in the eyes of leaders and members of the unions representing Boeing workers, smacked of union-busting and poor business sense.

Boeing, Machinists' Union district president Tom Wroblewski said, had "betrayed" Washington state's loyalty and used talks over a long-term, no-strike labor contract to leverage a better deal from South Carolina for the second 787 final assembly plant.

"It's now clear that Boeing was only using our talks as a smokescreen, and as a bargaining chip to extort a bigger tax handout from South Carolina," Wroblewski said during a news conference at the union hall in South Park.

Wroblewski said the union offered a 10-year, no-strike contract and was willing to discuss a longer agreement to get Boeing to commit to locating the second 787 line in Everett. Boeing never made any proposals and seemed "stunned" by the union's offer.

"It was obvious to me that Boeing wasn't really interested in working with us," he said. "They didn't take our proposal seriously and they never offered any proposals of their own."

Wroblewski said the Machinists Union was integral to persuading state lawmakers in 2003 to approve $3.2 billion in tax incentives to get the company to put the first 787 production line and related jobs in Washington.

Ray Goforth, executive director for the Society of Professional Engineering Employees in Aerospace (SPEEA), said by his reading of the Boeing statement, the Everett 787 line could close as soon as the company gets through the backlog of orders for the delay-plagued plane.

The program is currently years behind schedule, in part because of problems with a worldwide supply chain Boeing hoped to pioneer with the airliner, and, the company claims, a seven-week Machinists Union strike in 2008. Goforth claimed the company is already $12 billion in the red for the plane and likely won't start turning a profit until 800 to 1,000 have been built and sold.

Adding a new supply chain in a region without an established commercial airplane manufacturing base can only slow the process further, Goforth argued.

In a statement Wednesday, Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Jim Albaugh said that establishing the North Charleston line "will expand (Boeing's) production capacity to meet the market demand for the airplane."

Parsing that statement, Goforth, the SPEEA head, argued that Boeing intends to move the majority of production to the South Carolina site as soon as it can do so.

Speaking following the announcement, Goforth said he believes the Boeing decision isn't just bad for Washington workers but for the company as a whole.

Describing South Carolina as "a pit that Boeing is going to be throwing money and people into for a long time," Goforth also disputed claims by some that the Seattle work force would simply shift to South Carolina.

While some may, Goforth said the engineers represented by SPEEA could just as easily move out of Boeing to other aerospace firms offering better benefits in more attractive locations. He also questioned whether South Carolina -- a state with the third-worst high school graduation rate in the nation, according to a recent Education Week analysis -- has enough educated workers to serve the plant.

Without any clear economic argument for the change, Goforth said he's left to assume Boeing management was motivated by an interest in scaring or shedding its union employees.

"I think it's part of a much bigger anti-union strategy," Goforth said. "I think they had already decided to do this and it was a way to land a mortal blow on the Machinists and to cow the other unions."

Boeing reportedly preferred South Carolina due to the effects of recent Machinists' strikes. Workers at the South Carolina plant recently voted to remove the union from the North Charleston plant.

Boeing reportedly plans to open a "surge line" at its Paine Field plant to create additional capacity for assembly of the 787 during the next year or two while the South Carolina plant is brought on line. Wroblewski, the Machinists' Union head, said the state needs to ensure that Boeing does just that, despite its decision.

"We need to move forward. They're not going to pick up everything and move next week," Wroblewski said. "We need to fight for every single job and we will."

For Washingtonians, Goforth said, Wednesday's decision should kill a misconception about today's Boeing Co.: The homegrown company that started by making wooden seaplanes is dead and gone.

"People here may still think fondly of Boeing, but Boeing stopped thinking of them as family a decade ago," Goforth said. "This is one of the largest corporations on the planet, and they don't care about the people here."
I'd say first prize still has to go to R. Raygun, when he ended in the stroke of a pen the union for air flight controllers.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
Peter Lemkin Wrote:I'd say first prize still has to go to R. Raygun, when he ended in the stroke of a pen the union for air flight controllers.
Yes, you're correct. Raygun got the ball rolling, downhill. He's the daddy of all union busters.

In fact I suspect that he headed up the Screen Actors Guild either as a cover, or as a way of learning how unions operate in anticipation of busting them, or both.
[B][Image: ?ui=2&ik=48e939dd3c&view=att&th=1249ebd4...isp=emb&zw][/B]
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 28, 2009

[B]Statement of District President Tom Wroblewski in Response to Second 787 Line Announcement[/B]

[B]October 28, 2009[/B] – “Boeing has betrayed our loyalty once again, walking away from our discussions just like they walked away from Seattle eight years ago to move to Chicago.

We tried very hard to reach an extended agreement with Boeing. We listened closely to what executives said, and suggested ideas to meet their needs. We offered concrete, real-world solutions.

But I can tell you now, no matter what Boeing says or implies, the truth is this: We did offer Boeing a 10-year contract, and even offered to go longer than that. And when we did, they seemed stunned, and stopped talking.

It was obvious to me that Boeing wasn’t really interested in working with us. They didn’t take our proposals seriously and they never offered any proposals of their own. Most of the time, they didn’t even take notes.

It’s now clear that Boeing was only using our talks as a smoke screen, and as a bargaining chip to extort a bigger tax handout from South Carolina.

I haven’t reported this before – not to our members and certainly not to the media -- because Boeing had asked for confidential talks. My word means something, so I said nothing, even while the company was leaking half-truths to reporters.

When our team asked Boeing if 10 years was going to be enough for them, they didn’t respond. And when I asked them to confirm that the extended contract would secure the second 787 line for Washington state, their reply was only: “Well, it would be helpful.” But they would not commit to anything.

Still, we tried to get a deal, because I know that’s what our members and our community wanted. To do that, we were willing to discuss any issue to get a deal that we could recommend to our members. We floated ideas on health care costs, wages, pensions and lump sums.

None of this mattered to Boeing. They didn’t want solutions, but only a scapegoat.

Our seven-week strike last year is not the reason the 787 is already more than 120 weeks behind schedule.

Instead of investing in our shared future and a highly talented workforce and a region ideally suited for aerospace, Boeing has decided to double-down on its failed 787 strategy and place an ill-advised, billion-dollar bet on a strategy that’s a proven loser.”

###

Be sure to visit our web site at http://www.iam751.org for current news.
Boeing were screwing their workers here for a long time. I believe it has only recently been resolved and I too have no faith that they will keep their agreement. It was one of the longest management/union disputes ever. The workers are no more important than paperclips or pens to them. Just another component to be used and discarded as needs be.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:Boeing were screwing their workers here for a long time. I believe it has only recently been resolved and I too have no faith that they will keep their agreement. It was one of the longest management/union disputes ever. The workers are no more important than paperclips or pens to them. Just another component to be used and discarded as needs be.

Damn right.

From now on I buy all my planes from Airbus.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Trade Union Bill: UK's far-right government goes all-out fascist Paul Rigby 1 17,447 16-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Tory laws to ban the very mention of union strikes delivers a blow to free speech Magda Hassan 0 4,047 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Bill Maher's Union-Bashing Adele Edisen 4 4,944 27-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Dawn Meredith
  Venezuela's New Labour Law: The Best Mother's Day Gift Keith Millea 1 4,228 17-05-2013, 11:40 PM
  Coal giant Drummond Ltd. paid paramilitaries $1.5 million to murder union leaders Magda Hassan 1 3,223 16-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Greek police union wants to arrest EU/IMF officials Magda Hassan 0 2,050 11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
  Nascent Union Charges Reprisals by Textile Factory Owners Magda Hassan 3 3,562 03-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Union Workers Replaced With Prison Labor Under Scott Walker's Collective Bargaining Law Magda Hassan 0 2,423 08-07-2011, 11:06 AM
  Accusing DSK of Sexual Assault Took Guts -- But Union Protection Is Essential Magda Hassan 0 2,893 27-05-2011, 02:51 AM
  Gov of Wisconsin discusses tactics of union busting with fake Kock brother in radio programme. Magda Hassan 0 2,925 25-02-2011, 03:21 PM