Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Chemistry
Team Chemistry

Many teams have a chemical make-up like that of graphite,
the carbon-based material used in pencils.

It has strong lateral bonds within a given level or strata,
but weak horizontal bonds between its strata.

If you were to look at a chemical model of graphite from the side,
it would look like this:

[Image: graphite2.gif]

Like slate rock, graphite will shatter into thin, flat plates

under stress.

The best teams have a chemical make-up that is also like another substance made of pure carbon, but the chemical bonds among its molecules are equally strong in all directions.

Each molecule has a bond with the next nearest molecule in any direction, giving it strength and stability in 3 and 4 dimensions.

From one side, it looks like this, but no matter how you turn it, it appears equally strong.

[Image: diamond-structure-bonding.jpeg]

Formed under intense heat and pressure, it is the hardest substance known to man; it is used to drill out rock and steel.

Yet, because of the interlocking and multi-dimensional depth and surface that this structure has, it presents to the viewer an exquisitely-colorful image of brilliance and clarity that is highly prized.

This chemical structure is the diamond.
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"
Thank you Ed!
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Magda Hassan Wrote:Thank you Ed!

Nice Ed. You're a gem. Party
[Image: av-93.jpg]

[Image: spacer.gif]
I have declared Peace & Brotherhood in my world...

[Image: peace-on-earth-hands.jpg]

I know not what course others may take, but for me, liberty or death has a finality to it that leaves nothing to the imagination.

The world is insane and yet I know I am sane.
Isn't that the definition of insanity?
So is declaring peace an insane declaration?
I thought war & hatred were insane and yet the world is full of these horrors.
Is the world sane? and thus I insane?
My mind vibrates with the contradictions as wisdom decays into bitterness...

Where are the sane brothers and sisters I want to hold hands...

slaves...

no one building a beautiful new world...

so alone...

in my own little world of Peace and Brotherhood...

lost.

all.

hope.

--------------------

"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"
Check it out:

Main Treasure Trove is Here: http://www.masternewmedia.org/

<li class="n">Online Collaborative Writing: How Blogs And Wikis Are Changing The Academic Publishing Process
[Image: online_collaborative_writing_how_blogs_a...ize485.jpg] Is online collaborative writing the recipe to change the academic publishing process? Are blogs and wikis going to subvert the way academics publish and distribute their work? Photo credit: Tecnologia Pyme. Academics have long operated within a system of peer reviewed scholarship. The research process is seen as incomplete until a group of anonymous experts has commented on and approved a paper prepared according to specific criteria. Only then can the work
read more | cat.: Online Collaboration | Link
Online Collaboration News Archive
Janelle Ward - The Broker

<li class="n">Social Media Meets Online Television: Social TV Brings Television 2.0 To Your TV Set
[Image: social_media_meets_online_television_soc...ize485.jpg] Social television is an emerging new media term used to refer to a new form of television technology that supports and integrates social interaction, recommendations, ratings, reviews and interactive participation among viewers via text chat, audio or even video-conferencing. Photo credit: Michele Piacquadio While the social element of TV is not new, the term social TV is relatively new and used to describe a new breed of TV services that integrate other
read more | cat.: Video - Internet Television | Link
Video - Internet Television News Archive
Richard G. Kastelein - Agora Media Group

<li class="n">Media Literacy: Making Sense Of New Technologies And Media by George Siemens - Jan 23 10
[Image: media_literacy_digest_georgesiemens_id12...ize485.jpg] If you are interested in learning about new media trends, communication technologies and about the changes that are shaping our future, in this issue of Media Literacy Digest, open education advocate George Siemens, explores and reports on new fascinating stories and insights and on the impact that these new tools have on the way we learn and work. Photo credit: Zothen Inside this Media Literacy Digest: Stages of Social Media Integration - Anytime
read more | cat.: Learning - Educational Technologies | Link
Learning - Educational Technologies News Archive
George Siemens - Elearnspace

<li class="n">New Media Literacies Skills For The 21st Century Digital Citizen
[Image: technology_and_future_howard_rheingold_a...ize485.jpg] Focused atten*tion, par*tic*i*pa*tion, col*lab*o*ra*tion and crit*i*cal con*sump*tion (which includes "crap detec*tion") are the core 21st century new media literacy skills needed to become a fully enabled and active citizen of this ongoing digital communication revolution. Photo credit: JD Lasica "Increas*ingly... the dig*i*tal divide is less about access to tech*nol*ogy and more about the dif*fer*ence between those who know how and those who do not know how..." What is most impor*tant is not
read more | cat.: Learning - Educational Technologies | Link
Learning - Educational Technologies News Archive
JD Lasica - Socialmedia.biz

<li class="n">Content Curation: Why Is The Content Curator The Key Emerging Online Editorial Role Of The Future?
[Image: content_curation_why_is_the_content_cura...ize485.jpg] What is content curation and why is it so important for the future of web content publishers? The content curator is the next emerging disruptive role in the content creation and distribution chain. In a world submerged by a flood of information, content curators may provide in the coming months and years a new, tremendously valuable service to anyone looking for quality information online: a personalized, qualified selection of the
read more | cat.: Content Delivery And Distribution | Link
Content Delivery And Distribution News Archive
Rohit Bhargava - Influential Marketing Blog

There is MUCH more there.
"I am totally confident not that the world will get better, but that we should not give up the game before all the cards have been played. The metaphor is deliberate; life is a gamble. Not to play is to foreclose any chance of winning. To play, to act, is to create at least a possibility of changing the world."

—Howard Zinn (1922-2010)
http://howtosavetheworld.ca/images/whatyoucando2009.jpg

A clickably-variable-sized graphic flow-chart
An article by Kurt Mills, Ph.D. entitled "Cybernations: Identity, Self-Determination, Democracy and the Internet Effect' in the Emerging Information Order"....; a slightly revised and edited version of that article was published in Global Society, Vol. 16 (January 2002).

"Benedict Anderson's characterization of community as "deep, horizontal comradeship" [3] -a connection, a fraternity, an idea that bonds people together-is useful here. The argument is that such bonds can be created in the aether of bits and bytes, as well as in other types of interaction. That is, the interactions that occur in cyberspace can, in some instances, contribute to that comradeship. As Anderson points out, members of communities never have the opportunity to meet most of the other members. These communities are thus "imagined communities": "the members of even the smallest nation will never know most of their fellow-members, meet them, or even hear of them, yet in the minds of each lives the power of their communion" [4]. Given that all communities are imagined, constructed in the minds of the members, it is thus not surprising that such communities could appear or be strengthened in cyberspace.

Why is this? Cyberspace replicates, at least in part, the conditions under which certain types of interactions which are necessary for communities to arise and be sustained take place. Ray Oldenburg argues that there are three main "places" people inhabit-places to live, places of work, and places of conviviality. The last, so-called "third place", refers to the Agora of ancient Greece, the place where people engage in casual conversation which includes not only idle chatter, but also the vital discussion of public issues which affect everybody. These third places, which provide "'psychological comfort and support,'" are receding, and nowhere more than in the US as communities have started to come apart at the seams as a result of mall culture, among other factors. [5] Malls have replaced cafés, Chilis™ has replaced Cheers™, a mass market gathering place substitutes for the corner bar "where everybody knows your name". Of course, such developments occur far beyond the US, as mass market globalization undermines or replaces traditional "Agoras" worldwide. Online communities provide space for these third places, "places of conviviality," virtual Agoras where people can participate in public discussions and engage in many of the other interactions which are necessary for psychological well-being. As I will argue below, it may be that the potential for cyberspace to provide "virtual" Agoras for "real" communities will prove to be one of its most enduring legacies by supporting the connected, yet contradictory, processes of the reification and the realignment of communal affiliation and identity."

"Andrew Shapiro [Andrew L. Shapiro, The Control Revolution: How the Internet is Putting Individuals in Charge and Changing the World (New York: PublicAffairs: 1999), pp. 116-20.] argues that new communications technologies have led to what he terms a "control revolution." Because individuals can bypass the gatekeepers of information-states, the traditional media-control of information, resources, and experience is passing from large institutions to individuals. This will help disenfranchised groups get their word out and organize. But, it will also allow individuals to increasingly cut themselves off from information they may not want to hear. It is increasingly possible to tell your computer to deliver to you only what news you want to hear-you can very narrowly define the topics you read about or the sources from which you get your information. This personalization and "hyper-individualism" could have the potential of directly undermining the shared information, perspectives, and understandings that under gird a feeling of nationhood. Thus, while global communications technology may expand our horizons far beyond the borders of our state, it may also have the opposite effect-contract our boundaries of experience and sympathy to smaller and smaller groups and much more narrow perspectives."

"…the Internet shrinks time and space such that borders "virtually" disappear and appear significantly less relevant to the construction of identities and communities and allegiances. Although it is certainly possible to overstate the degree to which the development of instantaneous global [22] communication relegates borders to the dust heap of history -- certainly access to concrete, life-sustaining resources can still be determined by which side of a fence you are on -- the myths [23] which support the territorial (nation-)state now coexist with, and in some instances are being partially replaced by, other transnational, global myths."

"…the role of the Internet Effect … demonstrates rather forcefully the inability of states to tame digital communication. It may be in this type of situation where the potential of the Internet for undermining state authority, and enhancing self-determination movements will be most dramatically illustrated. And the process of "unbundling" identity from the state and repackaging it will accelerate as more of the world logs on, thus undermining, in some instances, the authority claims of states."

The article is cited in many places; the above originally appeared in my blog http://www.commongroundcommonsense.org/f...57&&st=360
:humble::cheer::girlboydance:
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.