Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iceland to become 'journalist haven'
Iceland could become a "journalism haven" if a proposal put forward by some Icelandic MPs aided by whistle-blowing website Wikileaks succeeds.
The Icelandic Modern Media Initiative (IMMI), calls on the country's government to adopt laws protecting journalists and their sources.
It will be filed with the Althingi - Iceland's parliament - on 16 February.
If the proposal succeeds it will require the Icelandic government to consider introducing legislation.
Julian Assange, Wikileaks' editor, told BBC News that the idea was to "try and reform Iceland's media law to be a very attractive jurisdiction for investigative journalists".
He has been in Iceland for a number of weeks and is advising MPs on the IMMI.

Alastair Mullis, Professor of Law, University of East Anglia, voices concerns at possible law changes

The hope is that journalist-friendly laws will encourage media businesses to move to Iceland.
"If it then has these additional media and publishing law protections then it is likely to encourage the international press and internet start-ups to locate their services here," Mr Assange said.
He believes the political mood in Iceland is receptive to the need for change.
"The Icelandic press has itself suffered from libel tourism, so there does seem to be the political will to push this through."
Wikileaks is a non-profit website that has established a reputation for publishing leaked material.
In October 2009, it posted a list of names and addresses of people said to belong to the British National Party (BNP).
Other high-profile documents hosted on the site include a copy of the Standard Operating Procedures for Camp Delta, a document that detailed restrictions placed on prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.
It recently had to suspend operations because of a lack of funding.
Legal threats
The IMMI aims to pull together good practice from around the world and incorporate it into a single body of law.
"We've found good laws in different countries but no country that has all of these laws put together," said Mr Assange.
The proposal has been informed by Wikileaks' experience in fighting legal threats to publication.
[Image: o.gif] [Image: start_quote_rb.gif] We don't want to be the Vikings of transparency in the way the bankers presented themselves [Image: end_quote_rb.gif]

Birgitta Jonsdottir

"In my role as Wikileaks editor, I've been involved in fighting off many legal attacks," Mr Assange said in an e-mail.
"To do that, and keep our sources safe, we have had to spread assets, encrypt everything, and move telecommunications and people around the world to activate protective laws in different national jurisdictions.
"We've become good at it, and never lost a case, or a source, but we can't expect everyone to go through the extraordinary efforts that we do."
Measures in the IMMI include legal protection for sources and whistleblowers and the protection of communications between sources and journalists.
'Transparent nation'
The proposals also include steps to end so-called "libel tourism", the practice of pursuing libel actions in the most favourable legal jurisdiction irrespective of where the parties are based.
But legal threats are faced not just by journalists, but by publishers, internet hosts and other "intermediaries", Wikileaks said. As a result, the proposals include plans to clarify the protection for "mere conduits".
[Image: o.gif] [Image: _47274568_-12.jpg]
[Image: inline_dashed_line.gif]

Griffin says leaked BNP list fake
Palin e-mail hack details emerge

Wikileaks has been working with a small group of Icelandic legislators on the issue.
One of the proposal's supporters, Birgitta Jonsdottir of The Movement, a political party with 3 MPs in the Icelandic parliament, told the BBC that she was confident the measure would become law.
"From what I have experienced from discussions with MPs from all the different parties, there is incredible good will," she said.
But the troubles of the financial sector may lead some Icelanders to be sceptical of efforts to transform their country and Ms Jonsdottir is aware of the need not to make exaggerated claims,
"We don't want to be the Vikings of transparency in the way the bankers presented themselves," she said.
But Ms Jonsdottir believes that making a strong statement in favour of freedom of expression could be a way for Iceland to create a positive new identity.
"There are still very many Icelanders who feel ashamed. I think it is part of the self-recovery we have to go through," she said.
'Positive support'
At a meeting with a small group of Icelandic MPs about the IMMI, to which the BBC had exclusive access, Mr Assange stressed how Iceland's image would benefit from becoming a champion of free speech.
For example, one of the proposals calls for the creation of The Icelandic Prize for Freedom of Expression which "promotes Iceland and the values represented in this proposal".
[Image: o.gif] [Image: start_quote_rb.gif] It seems the Icelandic proposal is going to pull all those laws together and put them in one place [Image: end_quote_rb.gif]

Julian Assange

Whether arguments like that are persuasive enough to convince a majority of Iceland's legislators remains to be seen. Mr Assange says that at present around 14 MPs are known to support the proposal.
There is also interest in the IMMI among some members of the Icelandic government.
The Icelandic Minister for Education Culture and Sports Katrin Jakobsdottir told the BBC that she thought that "the general idea was good" and said that she thought that it "might get positive support".
But she stressed that it was very early days and that the changes would involve many ministries.
She said that elements of the proposal coincided with changes to media law currently being considered by her department.
But not everyone is convinced of the need for an Icelandic "journalism haven".
Andrew Scott Senior, lecturer in law at the London School of Economics and a critic of the need for extensive libel reform in the UK, said that caution was needed.
"The provisions allowing defendants to counter-sue 'libel tourists' in their home courts could transform the humble Icelander into a legal superman, virtually untouchable abroad for comment written - and uploaded - at home," he said.
"Its debatable whether such laws are ever appropriate."
His view is not shared by Mr Assange.
"We have received approximately 100 legal threats in the past 18 months so we are keen to see legislation that protects the press and quality reporting", he said.
At present Wikileaks operates in a number of different jurisdictions to "take advantage of good laws," he said.
"It seems the Icelandic proposal is going to pull all those laws together and put them in one place."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8504972.stm
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Interesting development!.....and I already speak Norwegian [Icelandic is just old Norse].....:elefant:
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
IT's a wonderful possibility... if it happens.

I imagine that there will be intense pressure put on Iceland from outside sources to stop it dead.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Btw, Wikileaks has been temporarily suspended due to insufficient funds to run it.

http://wikileaks.org/

Quote:We protect the world—but will you protect us?

“ Wikileaks has probably produced more scoops in its short life than the Washington Post has in the past 30 years ”
— The National, November 19. 2009

To concentrate on raising the funds necessary to keep us alive into 2010, we have reluctantly suspended all other operations, but will be back soon.

We have received hundreds of thousands of pages from corrupt banks, the US detainee system, the Iraq war, China, the UN and many others that we do not currently have the resources to release. You can change that and by doing so, change the world. Even $10 will pay to put one of these reports into another ten thousand hands and $1000, a million.

We have raised just over $130,000 for this year but can not meaningfully continue operations until costs are covered. These amount to just under $200,000 PA. If staff are paid, our yearly budget is $600,000.

The Sunshine Press (WikiLeaks) is an non-profit organization funded by human rights campaigners, investigative journalists, technologists and the general public. Through your support we have exposed significant injustice around the world—successfully fighting off over 100 legal attacks in the process. Although our work produces reforms daily and is the recipient of numerous prestigious awards, including the 2008 Economist Freedom of Expression Award as well as the 2009 Amnesty International New Media Award, these accolades do not pay the bills. Nor can we accept government or corporate funding and maintain our absolute integrity. It is your strong support alone that preserves our continued independence and strength.

Go to the above linked URL to donate.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
David Guyatt Wrote:Btw, Wikileaks has been temporarily suspended due to insufficient funds to run it.

http://wikileaks.org/

Quote:We protect the world—but will you protect us?

“ Wikileaks has probably produced more scoops in its short life than the Washington Post has in the past 30 years ”
— The National, November 19. 2009

To concentrate on raising the funds necessary to keep us alive into 2010, we have reluctantly suspended all other operations, but will be back soon.

We have received hundreds of thousands of pages from corrupt banks, the US detainee system, the Iraq war, China, the UN and many others that we do not currently have the resources to release. You can change that and by doing so, change the world. Even $10 will pay to put one of these reports into another ten thousand hands and $1000, a million.

We have raised just over $130,000 for this year but can not meaningfully continue operations until costs are covered. These amount to just under $200,000 PA. If staff are paid, our yearly budget is $600,000.

The Sunshine Press (WikiLeaks) is an non-profit organization funded by human rights campaigners, investigative journalists, technologists and the general public. Through your support we have exposed significant injustice around the world—successfully fighting off over 100 legal attacks in the process. Although our work produces reforms daily and is the recipient of numerous prestigious awards, including the 2008 Economist Freedom of Expression Award as well as the 2009 Amnesty International New Media Award, these accolades do not pay the bills. Nor can we accept government or corporate funding and maintain our absolute integrity. It is your strong support alone that preserves our continued independence and strength.

Go to the above linked URL to donate.

So sad, untold trillions for the rich and corrupt; not enough for survival for the poor and those who fight against or expose the corrupt.....myself included. Wikileaks is a IMO a very important entity and trendsetter - there could easily be a separate one for environment and other subdivisions of life and polity.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
I think this is almost a trend in the Nordic countries. While USA, UK, NZ, Australia etc. are all playing around with Chinese-style filtering, and it gets harder and harder to get to sites like thepiratebay.org, the Pirate Party is making in-roads in local and Euro govt.

Quote:Pirate Party to Contest Swedish Municipal Elections, Roll Back Surveillance Cameras

Ivar Andersen
http://www.uppsalafria.nu/artikel/82259
Uppsala Fria<
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 | 15:48

After successes in European elections, the Pirate Party is now throwing the towel into local politics. Everyone knows this party, but tends to link it to large issues of the future far removed from local political daily life. "Many people associate us with the EU," says Victoria Westberg, who will stand for the Uppsala City Council.

• The Pirate Party is standing for election in Enköping Municipality, Tierps Municipality and the Municipality of Uppsala, and the county council of Uppsala.

• Internal recruitment is now in progress until the end of March, when the party plans to present their electoral lists of candidates.

After privacy issues received considerable attention in the domestic political debate, the Pirate Party took just over seven percent of the vote in elections to the European Parliament last June. Now that the party is attempting to repeat its success at the local level, their previous success is both an asset and a source of concern.

“Now the Pirate Party is more familiar. We also have greater experience in campaigning, this helps us all. It may well be that people are more familiar now with what we stand for and are more interested in our politics," said Johan Lundmark, municipal leader of the Pirate Party in Uppsala.

But success also means that for many, the Pirate Party is intimately linked with the EU, and with questions that might be perceived as distant from local political daily life and basic services.

“Many people associate us with the EU and many of the laws we are getting come from there, I think there will be a bit of a challenge," says Victoria Westberg, who will stand for the Uppsala City Council. “But now that we have drawn up our municipal policies, I see that there is much we can do within the municipality as well. It's just about getting our message across.”

The party's municipal program calls for Uppsala to become a leading information city, something that will be pursued by focusing on IT education in primary schools and by attracting knowledge-intensive businesses to the city. The party also seeks to address security issues.

“Such is the case with surveillance cameras," said Johan Lundmark. “We want to promote a safer Uppsala in several ways. Better lighting works better than cameras, and then you avoid problems that arise with violations of privacy.”

The Pirate Party is also getting established in county elections. Andrew Smith, constituency leader in Uppsala County, sees opportunities for meeting the cost of care with effective use of new technologies.

“Today, many believe that the administration or their actions are a tax that takes too much time. There are things we want to streamline; it should be easy to use technology to make time for real work. But we also want to save by using open standards and free software, there is very much money being spent on this currently.”

full article in Swedish:

http://www.uppsalafria.nu/artikel/82259
Quote:I think this is almost a trend in the Nordic countries. While USA, UK, NZ, Australia etc. are all playing around with Chinese-style filtering, and it gets harder and harder to get to sites like thepiratebay.org, the Pirate Party is making in-roads in local and Euro govt.

Hi Helen,
The Pirate Party eh!I like that name.Where can I sign up?

:tee:
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
Keith Millea Wrote:Hi Helen,
The Pirate Party eh!I like that name.Where can I sign up?

:tee:

Hi Keith,

I think you have to start your own local chapter. The name came from The Pirate Bay following the trial, as far as I know. Obviously there are no copyrights on the name! If Iceland is serious about this, I'd like to move there.
Quote:If Iceland is serious about this, I'd like to move there.

Too damn cold for me.I'm about to "pack it all up" and head South back to the Great Failed State of California.Crazy I know........... :trytofly:
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
There is a website showing all Pirate Parties worldwide.
http://www.pp-international.net/

The US branch seems to be real small right now.

The german branch reached around 2% of the votes in the last national election, which missed the necessary 5% to be represented in the Bundestag.
The most relevant literature regarding what happened since September 11, 2001 is George Orwell's "1984".