Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Change - Gates Accuses Iran Of Dangerous Meddling in Latin America!
Gates Warns of Iranian Influence in Latin America

{my note: I believe he is completely wrong - knowingly so - but I hear that Iran has stepped-up its subversive activities on Adelies Penguins in Antarctica!:lollypop:}

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates told Senators Tuesday that although much attention was given to Russia's recent courting of some Latin American countries, he is more concerned about new activities of Iran in the region.

Secretary Gates told the Senate Armed Services Committee he is worried about efforts by the Iranian government to gain influence in Latin America.

"I'm concerned about the level of, frankly, subversive activity the Iranians are carrying on in a number of places in Latin America, particularly South America and Central America," said Secretary Gates. "They're opening a lot of offices and a lot of fronts behind which they interfere with what is going on in some of these countries."

Other countries, including Russia and China, have also stepped up their presence in Latin America, where the United States has historically had the biggest influence. Russia caused concern to the region last November when it sent a fleet of ships to conduct joint naval exercises with Venezuela. In December, a Russian destroyer also passed through the Panama Canal for the first time since World War II.

Still, Gates says a plunge in the world's oil prices has severely curbed Russia's income and its ability to build up its navy.

"At 40 dollar oil the Russian navy does not bother me very much," said Gates. "This is the first time they've had an out of area exercise in a decade or so; it's important for us to keep perspective about their capabilities."

Russia has had a tense relationship with the West since its troops invaded Georgia in August. Gates says the United States is taking Russian activity in Latin America in stride.

"I felt that our best response to the Russian ship visits to Venezuela was nonchalance," he said. "In fact, if it hadn't been for the events in Georgia in August, I probably would've tried to persuade the president to invite the Russian ships to pay a port call in Miami, because I think they would've had a lot better time than they did in Caracas."

Russian officials denied that the maneuvers were meant to provoke the United States. President Dimitri Medevedev and Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez defended cooperative agreements they signed in November, saying they would help to create a "multi-polar" world that is not dominated by a single power.

By Julia Ritchey
Washington
What a load of old bollocks. Russia doesn't "bother" him.

As of April 2007, Russia had 7,200 active nuclear warheads as opposed to the US who had 5,735. Iran has nil. If the plunge in the oil price impacts upon Russia then it also obviously impacts upon Iran.

The man is speaking designer twaddle. Vintage Gates-speak. Except the enemy now must be Muslim, obviously.

The following link is an overview of the Russian navy which is still very, very formidable:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/...index.html

The following link shows the inventory of the Iranian navy - which has no capital ships (Aircraft carriers) nor anything bigger than a destroyer of which they have two - one formerly the Royal Navy's and the other one formerly the US Navy. In all, 13 of Iran's Navy vessels were sold to them by the US and the UK with the US being their major foreign supplier of warships. Speaks volumes doesn't it.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/w.../ships.htm

The same exercise can be done about the relative size and importance of the respective intelligence capabilities.

Obama offers an open hand, Gates shakes a fist. Is it the good cop - bad cop routine in action, or the appointed insiders in the Obama Administration keeping their president in check?
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
Carl Jung - Aion (1951). CW 9, Part II: P.14
Iran is doing such terrifyingly dangerous stuff like building $1,000,000 health clinics in Bolivia. No wonder the Yanks are scared.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
How dare the Iranians try to have a normal society with interactions with other nations, a rocket program, even a nuclear one, if they feel they need one [gee, wonder why they might be paranoid about American/British meddling in their country!]. Here at the grocery, I always get the Iranian raisins, they are very good and cheap - I'm sure they are not sold in the USA. At university, my housemate was from Tehran, so I know more than most about that country and it's history. They are very proud of their ancient past empire, their art and culture, they are not Arab, are very patriotic and have been done many bad things by the CIA/MI6. The mullahs have been no blessing, but it was a reaction [blowback] from what WE did. I'm sure most there would like to be free of both oppressors.
I'm sorry but I disagree with the analysis. The Iranian have four probems as follows.

The first problem with the Iranians is that they were born in a land where our oil was deposited. This was a cruel twist of fate both to them and to us. The second problem with the Iranians is that they believe our oil is their oil. A quite ridiculous belief obviously. The third problem with the Iranians is that they expect us to pay them for our oil. This is simle extortion and blackmail on an international scale. And the fourth problem with the Iranians is that because the have ridiculous non-Christian religious beliefs they decline to let us have access to our oil even when we agree to pay their extortionate sums for it in order to soothe their uppity natures.

Overall the Iranians have repeatedly shown how wicked they really are and they deserve to be invaded simply for trying to keep us from what we rightfully own and need.
The shadow is a moral problem that challenges the whole ego-personality, for no one can become conscious of the shadow without considerable moral effort. To become conscious of it involves recognizing the dark aspects of the personality as present and real. This act is the essential condition for any kind of self-knowledge.
[Image: 74.326068.jpg]

[Image: 74.1456848.jpg]
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
Love the toons Magda. Where in hell do you find stuff like that?
They've been a bit quiet of late and I don't know why but they have done some great stuff and have a fantastic URL though I see that has been edited too. Maybe they have closed up shop now that the end of an error is here. Check it all out as it is all good.

http://whitehouse.georgewbush.org/index.asp (used to be whitehouse.org)

Posters here: http://www.cafepress.com/thewhitehouse/32519

Check out Betty Bower and Landover Baptist CHurch links too.

I can't stop giggling at the site.

[Image: iraq-victory-strategy.gif]

Freedom chow!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An actual coup in america: Democrats in 1944 Paul Rigby 3 8,226 29-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Paul Rigby
  The Rapidly Coming End of the United States of America Peter Lemkin 0 5,209 03-10-2017, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  American Libertarians [Neocons?] Are Remaking Latin American Politics Peter Lemkin 1 5,956 13-08-2017, 04:29 AM
  The Kissinger-Trump strategy to divide the China-Russia-Iran Triangle David Guyatt 8 14,729 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Iran-Contra Redux - Know the Past, to understand the Present! Peter Lemkin 0 4,141 14-01-2017, 10:38 AM
  America's Dirty War In Guatamala Has Long Sad History Peter Lemkin 0 8,131 02-11-2015, 05:34 AM
  The Yale menu of post-regime change satraps Paul Rigby 1 3,201 14-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  America's pseudo-democracy David Guyatt 0 2,325 16-11-2014, 01:00 PM
  God help America David Guyatt 2 2,564 15-09-2014, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  de Blasio: Israel is America's greatest ally Tracy Riddle 1 2,588 26-01-2014, 11:31 AM