Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Summers Memo (The New Yorker, via Solari)
From C. A. Fitts at Solari's blog:

In a piece this week on Barack Obama's shift from idealism to pragmatism, I describe an important fifty-seven-page document from Lawrence Summers to President-elect Barack Obama dated December 15, 2008:
Marked "Sensitive and Confidential," the document, which has never been made public, presents Obama with the scale of the crisis. "The economic outlook is grim and deteriorating rapidly," it said. The U.S. economy had lost two million jobs that year; without a government response, it would lose four million more in the next year. Unemployment would rise above nine per cent unless a significant stimulus plan was passed. The estimates were getting worse by the day.
This document is the ur-text of economic policymaking for the Obama Administration. Given the importance of this issue for understanding the past few years, I'm making the full document available below. (Click on the arrows in the lower left corner to expand.) I hope it ignites a lively debate.

Read the full Memo [PDF]

Here's the article...:

January 23, 2012
THE SUMMERS MEMO

Posted by Ryan Lizza
[Image: summers-whitehouse-02.jpg]
In a piece this week on Barack Obama's shift from idealism to pragmatism, I describe an important fifty-seven-page document from Lawrence Summers to President-elect Barack Obama dated December 15, 2008:
Marked "Sensitive and Confidential," the document, which has never been made public, presents Obama with the scale of the crisis. "The economic outlook is grim and deteriorating rapidly," it said. The U.S. economy had lost two million jobs that year; without a government response, it would lose four million more in the next year. Unemployment would rise above nine per cent unless a significant stimulus plan was passed. The estimates were getting worse by the day.
This document is the ur-text of economic policymaking for the Obama Administration. Given the importance of this issue for understanding the past few years, I'm making the full document available below. (Click on the arrows in the lower left corner to expand.) I hope it ignites a lively debate.
DOCUMENT
PAGES

Zoom

p. 1

[Image: summers-12-15-08-memo-p1-normal.gif]

p. 2

[Image: summers-12-15-08-memo-p2-normal.gif]

p. 3

[Image: summers-12-15-08-memo-p3-normal.gif]

«
Page
of 57

»

Official White House photograph by Pete Souza.

KEYWORDS

POSTED IN

Read more [URL="http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/01/the-summers-memo.html#ixzz1kc1Yk1jD"]http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/01/the-summers-memo.html#ixzz1kc1Yk1jD

[/URL]
"Where is the intersection between the world's deep hunger and your deep gladness?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The confidential memo at the heart of the global financial crisis Lauren Johnson 6 3,794 26-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Leaked Citibank Memo The Plutonomy Symposium Rising Tides Lifting Yacht Magda Hassan 1 4,279 24-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Is Larry Summers taking kickbacks from the banks he’s bailing out? Magda Hassan 0 3,442 29-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan