Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sugar Ray Leonard: 'I felt safe in the ring. My heart turned icy'
Fascinating interview of Sugar Ray Leonard.

A journey into the psyche of a true artist, for whom the boxing ring was his Stage, his Home, his Sanctuary.

Quote:Sugar Ray Leonard: 'I felt safe in the ring. My heart turned icy'

The legendary champion talks of sexual abuse, cocaine and alcohol, and how he beat some of boxing's hardest men

Donald McRae

guardian.co.uk, Monday 19 March 2012 14.59 GMT

"Oh man, that's scary," Sugar Ray Leonard says as his eyes open wide and he clutches my arm. "That hits me like a thunderbolt. It's amazing how the truth gets you like that."

Even when he is spooked, Leonard still looks like a million dollars. The handsome face and the gleaming smile remain, even if they are worn by the years of pain. Beyond his epic fights in the 1980s against Thomas Hearns, Roberto Durán and Marvin Hagler, Leonard has waged lonelier battles. The 55-year-old struggled for decades with the secret fact that he had been sexually molested twice as a boy by middle-aged men; while his more recent trials with drugs and alcoholism crossed bleak terrain.

Yet this is how an involving interview with one of the greatest fighters in history unfolds, as Leonard reacts with raw immediacy. "Tell me again what he said," he urges.

And so I recount in more detail how, years ago in Las Vegas, Hugh McIlvanney, the great boxing writer, who then worked for the Observer, listened patiently while I waffled on about Mike Tyson's "bad intentions". McIlvanney smiled sagely and asked what I thought of the retired Ray Leonard. I'd only seen Leonard fight on television and I wittered some more about Sugar's sublime artistry. McIlvanney cut to the core. He spoke vividly of the hard chip of ice that Leonard stored in his fighting heart. Sugar Ray must have endured terrible darkness to fight with such chilling brilliance.

"It's so true," Leonard says. "That's exactly how it felt. Every time I stepped into the ring I had that chip of ice. My brother, Roger, saw it when we were sparring. I moved towards him and he said, 'Stop, Ray! Look at your fucking eyes. You look like you wanna kill me!' Maybe I used what happened to me outside when I ducked inside the ropes.

"But it was subconscious. Did I fight so hard because I was distressed by the sexual abuse? Not to my knowledge. Outside, I'm not a confrontational guy. Even if I'm used to talking on TV I'm actually reserved and quiet almost shy. But I could be a mean guy in that ring because I felt confident."

Leonard looks up as sunshine streams in through his London hotel window. "I went through real darkness but the ring was my light. That was the one place I felt safe. I could control what happened in the ring. My heart turned icy."

In his gripping and revealing autobiography, Leonard strips bare the gilded image that once defined and separated him from the street menace that Durán, Hearns and Hagler all brought to their violent trade. An Olympic gold medal winner, to whom the trainer Angelo Dundee hitched his stool as the only possible successor to Muhammad Ali, Leonard kept his real life secret. The raw truth is out now.

Even after his victory in the 1976 Olympic Games, Leonard nearly abandoned boxing. He tells an upsetting anecdote of how close he came to giving into heroin just months after he won gold in Montreal. "I wanted to be like Bruce Jenner," he says of the flaxen-haired American who won the decathlon at those same Olympics. "But he was white and just weeks after the Games I felt like a nigger again."

A despairing Leonard ended up in an apartment where a bereft group of black men injected each other with heroin. He begged them: "Hit me, man, hit me."

Leonard shows me his arm and remembers how one of the junkies wrapped a cord around him to make his vein rise up. The old fighter narrows the gap between his thumb and index finger to a few millimetres. "I was that near the needle. But one guy stepped in. He said: 'Hey, Ray, don't fuck your life up. You're the champ, man.' These guys were drifting off into never-never land but they still had enough inside to say, 'No, Ray!'"

He succumbed years later to cocaine and drink but, before then, as Leonard says wearily, "I went on this tumultuous rollercoaster ride. I came from nothing and achieved humungous fame and fortune. But I worked hard. I had discipline and determination. I had that ice in me."

Ali was one of the first to recognise Leonard's extraordinary resolve. "I couldn't believe it," Leonard says. "Not long after that scene with the needle I got invited to Ali's third fight against Ken Norton [in September 1976]. Norton had won the first, Ali the second. A tough night lay ahead for Ali.

"But he asked to see me in his dressing room before the fight. It was mind-boggling that Ali could think about me turning pro just minutes before the bell. He said: 'Make sure no one owns you. Be your own man.'"

Leonard sidestepped the controlling web of Don King and Bob Arum and forged a deliberately independent path. He relied on a white lawyer, Mike Trainer, to guide him through the promotional minefield and followed Ali's instruction as he made and kept most of his millions. Yet Leonard's legacy burns most fiercely in the ring.

We go over the old fights again, Leonard sweeping aside my reticence to travel down the beaten track once more. He shows me how much he still relishes talking about Durán, Hearns and Hagler by reliving those nights in graphic and intricate detail. Leonard pulls off the trick of making me believe his stories are still as riveting to him as they are to me. Days later, some still linger in my head.

"Joe Frazier said Roberto Durán looked like Charles Manson," Leonard cackles. "And he did. God, Durán was so violent, so mean. Some people out there, in the streets, can shoot you in the face and then go get some lunch. They have no conscience. Durán was like that. It freaked me out because Durán was so nasty. He got to me the first time."

Leonard lost his unbeaten record to Durán in June 1980 in a clearcut decision. But, five months later, Leonard came to the rematch with a different plan. "My brother Roger gave it to me. This was drugged-up Roger. In the gym he said: "You have to piss him off.' I said: 'You gotta be kidding?' But Roger kept telling me. 'You gotta embarrass this guy. You gotta make him mad with you.'

"In the rematch with Durán I was boxing smart and, then, I started fooling around. I threw those crazy bolo punches and the audience was laughing. Really laughing. I could see in Durán's eyes he didn't like it. He was a bad bully and here I was ridiculing him. Eventually, he just quit. He threw up his hands in frustration and walked away. He never realised the ramifications it would have on the rest of his life. But that fight should not dictate his legacy. Durán was a great fighter."

Leonard speaks here with real intent; and he now feels almost tender towards Durán. "I remember seeing him just as we left the arena that night. I was in my car. He was being driven in the back of his car. What are the chances of that happening after one of the biggest fights in history? I thought, 'Shit, Durán.' I waved to him. He lifted his hand to me but there was no life in him.

"It still eats away at him today. I don't think a day goes by when he's not reminded of it. I know I'm asked about it every day because it's one of those moments in sporting history that fascinates people.

"What happened to Roberto Durán? He hears that question every day and I feel for him. I respect and like him now. But I know he won't address it. He won't go there. It's just like I wanted to avoid the sexual abuse so long."

Leonard defeated Durán again, and he beat Hearns and luckily drew their second fight. He also shocked the world by coming out of retirement in 1987 to icily steal a decision from the ferocious Hagler who has yet to forgive him. But, more than those momentous contests, Leonard's battles outside the ring now define him. Like so many fighters, he felt lost when his boxing prowess slipped away. He still had money to burn, and a huge posse of fawning acolytes and groupies around him, and Leonard began to use cocaine as a way of pursuing the intensity he had felt as a boxer.

"I also started to hang around the sportswriters," he says, wryly, "because I was doing television for HBO. Those guys would always say, late at night, 'C'mon, Sugar Ray, have one more…' The drugs came first but the alcohol became the major problem.

"My [second] wife, Bernadette, was concerned about all these revelations the abuse, the drugs, the drinking. When I started the book we had one child in the fourth grade and another in the sixth grade. My wife worried because she was thinking from a wife's and a mother's standpoint and trying to protect us. But if I had kept suppressing it, it would've finally killed me. I don't mind that, talking about it, I sometimes cry. I feel such lightness now it's out."

When Leonard attended his first AA meeting six years ago he was instantly recognised. "You could tell I was a newcomer because I said, 'Hi, my name's Ray Leonard.' They said, 'Just your first name, Ray, that's all we need. It took a long time before I could say, 'Hi, I'm Ray and I'm an alcoholic.' I got there in the end. But, even here, I open up the mini-bar and I think about it a little. One part of my head says, 'Come on, you can do that.' The other shuts it down. I stay strong.

"You know, my dad turns 90 in June. He tells me the same stories every time I go to the house. Five minutes later, he starts telling them all over again. But he's old. He's been married 62 years to my mother.

"I used to find it hard to go there and so I never went unless I had drink or some substance in my body. I cushioned myself. But that's no way to live. Now, I'm straight every time I go home.

"It's hard because we all know how brutal life gets. But I felt something special when I was recently there. We were sitting and having coffee and I said, 'Daddy, you know I'm here and I'm still not drinking. I haven't drunk for years now.' He looked up at me and said, 'Son, I'm so proud of you.' That felt so good.

"It's been a hell of a ride but I got off that rollercoaster in one piece. I wouldn't change anything because the mistakes and the hurt are as important as all the great fights. They made me who I am today. Sugar's still there, in the background, but Ray's here now. I'm just Ray Leonard. It's as simple, and as sweet, as that."
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Thanks Jan.I like these type of stories a lot.

Quote:"In the rematch with Durán I was boxing smart and, then, I started fooling around. I threw those crazy bolo punches and the audience was laughing. Really laughing. I could see in Durán's eyes he didn't like it. He was a bad bully and here I was ridiculing him. Eventually, he just quit. He threw up his hands in frustration and walked away. He never realised the ramifications it would have on the rest of his life. But that fight should not dictate his legacy. Durán was a great fighter."

I remember watching this fight.But,I remember it being said that Duran had broken ribs or something that made him say "No Mas".Sugar Ray seems to say that Duran just gave up.I wonder what the real story is?
"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
Keith Millea Wrote:Thanks Jan.I like these type of stories a lot.

Me too, Keith, me too.

Keith Millea Wrote:
Quote:"In the rematch with Durán I was boxing smart and, then, I started fooling around. I threw those crazy bolo punches and the audience was laughing. Really laughing. I could see in Durán's eyes he didn't like it. He was a bad bully and here I was ridiculing him. Eventually, he just quit. He threw up his hands in frustration and walked away. He never realised the ramifications it would have on the rest of his life. But that fight should not dictate his legacy. Durán was a great fighter."

I remember watching this fight.But,I remember it being said that Duran had broken ribs or something that made him say "No Mas".Sugar Ray seems to say that Duran just gave up.I wonder what the real story is?

Me too. :gossip:

I don't know which version - the broken ribs (a cover story to save face?) or the ridicule - is true. Maybe both.

I am intrigued by the psychology of it all, the myth making in the heads of these warriors.

The section about Duran before the piece above shines light on the psychology:

Quote:"Joe Frazier said Roberto Durán looked like Charles Manson," Leonard cackles. "And he did. God, Durán was so violent, so mean. Some people out there, in the streets, can shoot you in the face and then go get some lunch. They have no conscience. Durán was like that. It freaked me out because Durán was so nasty. He got to me the first time."

Leonard lost his unbeaten record to Durán in June 1980 in a clearcut decision. But, five months later, Leonard came to the rematch with a different plan. "My brother Roger gave it to me. This was drugged-up Roger. In the gym he said: "You have to piss him off.' I said: 'You gotta be kidding?' But Roger kept telling me. 'You gotta embarrass this guy. You gotta make him mad with you.'

There was a story I heard on the radio about the Thrilla in Manilla. Ali was brutal towards Frazier in the build-up:

From wiki:

Quote:Ali and Frazier met for the third and final time in Quezon City (a district within the metropolitan area of Manila), the Philippines, on October 1, 1975: the "Thrilla in Manila." Ali took every opportunity to mock Frazier, again calling him '"The Gorilla," and generally trying to irritate him.

The fight was far more action-filled than the previous encounter, and was a punishing display on both sides under oppressively hot conditions. During the course of the fight, Ali said to Frazier, "They said you were through, Joe." Frazier's terse reply quickly followed: "They lied, pretty boy." After 14 grueling rounds, Eddie Futch stopped the fight after Frazier was determined to finish the fight despite both eyes being swollen shut. Ali won the battle, but said afterward that it was the closest he ever felt to death.

Found it, in print.

From the Daily Mail:

Quote:During a joint TV interview in the Philippines capital, Ali ridiculed his poorly educated opponent as an idiotic Uncle Tom' who kow-towed to the white boxing establishment; remarks which so incensed Frazier that a brawl broke out in the studio.

But when they came face-to-face at a chaotic press conference, a few days later, Ali drew on his penchant for poetry to unleash an even more merciless tongue-lashing.

It will be a chiller, a killer, and a thriller when I get the gorilla in Manila,' he recited, his handsome features creased with a mocking smirk.

Then, reaching into his pocket, he pulled out a black rubber gorilla and began pummelling it. This is the way Joe Frazier looks when you hit him,' he jibed.

Joe is so ugly! His mother told me that when he was a little boy, every time he cried, the tears would stop, turn around, and go down the back of his head.'

Joe's son, Marvis, (also to become a heavyweight boxer), was fifteen, and saw his father taunted in the build-up and then beaten to a pulp in the ring.

After the fight, this happened:

Quote:The great charmer also emerged victorious in the PR war by summoning Frazier's son, Marvis, to his dressing room after the fight and telling him he hadn't meant a word of what he had said about his father.

But Ali never apologised directly to Frazier, and it took him a further quarter of a century to say in public he was sorry.

I said a lot of things in the heat of the moment that I shouldn't have said and called him names I shouldn't have called him,' he told the New York Times in 2001.

Perhaps.

Perhaps not.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."

The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
Okay,Time Warp

I went back to the eighth round.Duran does not look like he has broken ribs at all.I think it's just an excuse....but WTF,and Why?

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
Buckminster Fuller
No mas.

Here, fwiw, is the wiki version.

Quote:The rematch took place November 25, 1980 at the Superdome in New Orleans. Leonard used his superior speed and movement to outbox and befuddle Durán. "The whole fight, I was moving, I was moving," Leonard said. "And Voom! I snapped his head back with a jab. Voom! I snapped it back again. He tried to get me against the ropes, I'd pivot, spin off and Pow! Come under with a punch."

In Round 7, Leonard started to taunt Durán. Leonard's most memorable punch came late in the round. Winding up his right hand, as if to throw a bolo punch, Leonard snapped out a left jab and caught Durán flush in the face.

In the closing seconds of the eighth round, Durán turned his back to Leonard and quit, saying to referee Octavio Meyran, "No Más" ("no more" in Spanish). Leonard was the winner by a technical knockout at 2:44 of Round 8, regaining the WBC Welterweight Championship. Leonard led by scores of 68-66, 68-66 and 67-66.[1]

[edit] Post-Fight

Durán claimed that he quit because of stomach cramps, which started to bother him in the fifth round. He said the cramps occurred because he took off weight too quickly, then ate too much after the morning weigh-in, but his manager, Carlos Eleta, said Durán always ate that way before a fight. "Durán didn't quit because of stomach cramps," Eleta said. "He quit because he was embarrassed."

Durán's stature in his home country, Panama, took a dramatic dive after the fight. The immediate reaction was shock, followed by anger. Within hours, commercials featuring Durán (in both Panama and the United States) were ordered off the air.[2] It took almost three years before people started to forgive him.

Keith - in the slow motion at the end of the You Tube clip, you can see how fast and agile Sugar Ray is. "No mas" is like Duran the street brawler, the street bully, realizing he can hardly lay a glove on Leonard.

It's no fun anymore...

You can see it clearly here:

Sugar Ray is humiliating Duran.

The commentators can hardly believe it. You don't taunt Duran - the man is a beast who will take your head off.

But Sugar Ray makes the beast quit: "no mas".

Not in physical pain, but in mental anguish.

The ridicule.

Look at Duran's face, at c1:44, slumped on his stool.

Marvin Hagler kicked Leonard's ass -- and were it not for the stupidity of the bewigged Italian brothers from Brockton who ran Hagler's corner and who were out-thought by the late, great Angelo Dundee, Marvelous Marvin would have finished the little phony mid-rounds.

By the bye, athletes are not artists when they are engaged in their athletic endeavors.. They can be creative, intuitive, even brilliant.

But there is nothing artistic about what Larry Bird or Bobby Orr or Ted Williams or Muhammad Ali did on the court, on the rink, or in the ring.
Perhaps.

Perhaps not.

Good one!It was Sugar Rays' "drugged up" brother who figured out how to take Duran out.Too bad Charlie Manson couldn't be humiliated enough to shout out "NO MAS"...........
Buckminster Fuller
Keith Millea Wrote:Thanks Jan.I like these type of stories a lot.

Maybe Duran and his handlers had his money on Sugar Ray....?
Just saying.
I used to be the one to put the bets on for the jockeys and trainers when I worked in that industry.
Plenty of skill and sportsmanship but even more theater and money. Big sloshing buckets of black money laundering.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.