Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'Crime' Of Walking While Black.....the DEADLY consequences for a 16 year old.
The Justice Department and the FBI have announced they will conduct a criminal probe of the killing of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin and the ensuing police investigation that allowed his killer to walk free. Martin, an African-American student at Michael Krop Senior High School, was visiting his father in a gated community in the town of Sanford, Florida, on February 26 when he walked out to a nearby convenience store to buy candy and iced tea. On his way back, Martin was spotted by the shooter, George Zimmerman, who had been patrolling the neighborhood. Zimmerman has told police he was attacked by Martin from behind. But in the tape of Zimmerman's own 911 call to the police, Zimmerman tells the dispatcher he is the one following Martin. The Miami Herald reports Zimmerman had taken it upon himself to patrol the neighborhood and had called police 46 times since January 2011 to report suspicious activity or other incidents. We play excerpts of the 911 calls and speak with Jasmine Rand, an attorney who heads the civil rights division at Parks & Crump Law Firm, which is representing Trayvon Martin's family. "I think we have all of the evidence in the world to arrest him. And I think what the state attorney is trying to do is to try the case and the investigation, and that's not the state attorney's job," Rand says. [includes rush transcript]
Filed under Police brutality, Police, FBI
http://www.democracynow.org/2012/3/20/wa...ice_resist

Jasmine Rand, attorney who heads the civil rights division at the Law Firm of Parks & Crump, which is representing Trayvon Martin's family.
Related Stories

Florida's "Shoot First" Law Critiqued by Gun Control Advocates Following Shooting of Trayvon Martin
Mar 20, 2012
"A Modern-Day Lynching": Outrage Grows over Killing of Trayvon Martin by Neighborhood Watch Patrol
Mar 20, 2012
Florida Legislative Black Caucus Urges Full Federal Probe of Police Handling of Trayvon Martin Death
Mar 20, 2012
Police Arrest 73 in Occupy Wall Street Crackdown as Protesters Mark Six Months Since Uprising Began
Mar 19, 2012
Occupy Oakland: Over 400 Arrested as Police Fire Tear Gas, Flash Grenades at Protesters
Jan 30, 2012

Links

NAACP to host March 20 Townhall Meeting on Trayvon Martin Shooting
Change.org Petition to Investigate and Prosecute Trayvon Martin Shooting

Rush Transcript

This transcript is available free of charge. However, donations help us provide closed captioning for the deaf and hard of hearing on our TV broadcast. Thank you for your generous contribution.Donate >
Transcript

AMY GOODMAN: The shooting death of an unarmed African-American teenager in Florida has sparked a national outcry as apparent racial profiling claims yet another young life. On Monday, federal authorities announced the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division and the FBI will conduct a criminal probe of the killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin and the ensuing police investigation that allowed his killer to walk free.

Martin was a student at Michael Krop Senior High School. He was visiting his father in a gated community in the town of Sanford on February 26th when he walked out to a nearby convenience store to buy Skittles and iced tea. On his way back, Trayvon Martin was spotted by the shooter, George Zimmerman, who had been patrolling the neighborhood. Zimmerman has told police he was attacked by Martin from behind. But in the tape of Zimmerman's own 911 call to the police, Zimmerman tells the dispatcher he is the one following Trayvon.

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: This guy looks like he's up to no good or he's on drugs or something. It's raining, and he's just walking around, looking about.

911 DISPATCHER: OK. And this guy, is he white, black or Hispanic?

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: He looks black.

911 DISPATCHER: Did you see what he was wearing?

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: Yeah, a dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or sweatpants and white tennis shoes.

911 DISPATCHER: Are you following him?

GEORGE ZIMMERMAN: Yeah.

911 DISPATCHER: OK, we don't need you to do that."

AMY GOODMAN: In the last part of that tape, some say Zimmerman can be heard using a racial slur: "these blank-ing coons." Shortly after this, police received another 911 call from a neighbor hearing someone screaming for help. Then there's a gunshot. Then there's silence.

911 DISPATCHER: 911. Do you need police, fire or medical?

CALLER: Maybe both. I'm not sure. There's just someone screaming outside.

911 DISPATCHER: OK. And is it a male or female?

CALLER: It sounds like a male.

911 DISPATCHER: And you don't know why?

CALLER: I don't know why. I think they're yelling "help," but I don't know. Just send someone quick.

911 DISPATCHER: OK. Does he look hurt to you?

CALLER: I can't see him. I don't want to go out there. I don't know what's going on.

911 DISPATCHER: Do you think he's yelling "help"?

CALLER: Yes.

911 DISPATCHER: All right, what is your [gunshot heard] number?

CALLER: Just, there's gunshots.

911 DISPATCHER: You just heard gunshots?

CALLER: Yes.

911 DISPATCHER: How many?

CALLER: Just one.

AMY GOODMAN: Police have refused to arrest Zimmerman, saying even though Trayvon Martin was unarmed and nearly 80 pounds lighter, they can find no evidence to contradict Zimmerman's self-defense claim and that they think it's his voice on the 911 call screaming for help. But family members and witnesses say it was Trayvon Martin, not Zimmerman, whose pleas can be heard. In another 911 call, a different neighbor reacts to the sight of seeing Trayvon Martin's dead body.

CALLER: Oh, my god! He shothe shot the person. He said he shot the person.

911 DISPATCHER: Who's saying they shot who?

CALLER: People out there. A guy is raising his hands up. He's saying he shot a person. I think it's a police officer that's with him right now, arrestoh, my god! Oh, oh, my god! Someone has been shot.

911 DISPATCHER: It's probably going to be best if you stay inside your home for the time being, OK?

CALLER: I can't believe someone was killed. He was saying "help." Why didn't someone come out and help him.

911 DISPATCHER: Listen. We don't know if they've been killed, OK? We know that theyprobably someone

CALLER: He just said he shot him. Yes, a person is dead, laying on the ground! I didn't see because it was too dark, and I just heard people screaming, "Help me! Help me!" And this person shot him.

AMY GOODMAN: Now ABC News has obtained more details about the last moments of Trayvon Martin's life from a teenage girl who was on the phone with him moments before he was shot dead. The girl told Martin's attorney, quote, "He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man. I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run, but he said he was not going to run." The girl says Trayvon told her he lost Zimmerman, but then he returned. She told the attorney, quote, "Trayvon said, 'What are you following me for?' And the man said, 'What are you doing here?' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the head set just fell. I called him again, and he didn't answer the phone," she said.

Police arrived minutes later. After the shooting, Trayvon's body was bagged and taken to the morgue, where he was tagged as a John Doe. Critics have noted that no one contacted Trayvon's family even though police had his cell phone in their possession.

The Miami Herald reports Zimmerman had taken it upon himself to patrol the neighborhood and had called police 46 times since January 2011 to report suspicious activity or other incidents. Trayvon Martin was killed on February 26th, but it's only weeks later that his story is gaining national attention after a campaign led by family members and the release of the 911 tapes last week.

On Monday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney was asked about Trayvon Martin's death.

PRESS SECRETARY JAY CARNEY: Well, we here in the White House are aware of the incident, and we understand it. The local FBI office has been in contact with the local authorities and is monitoring the situation. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Trayvon Martin's family. But obviously, we're not going to wade into a local law enforcement matter. I would refer you to the Justice Department and to local law enforcement at this point.

REPORTER: Has the President himself expressed any comments about it? I mean, you know, the case of Professor Gates up in Cambridge pales compared to this, and the President did speak out about that.

PRESS SECRETARY JAY CARNEY: I don't have any conversations to report to you.

AMY GOODMAN: Trayvon Martin's killing occurred less than four weeks after the shooting of another unarmed African-American teenager, Ramarley Graham, by a police officer in New York.

For more, we turn now to a number of guests in Florida.

From Talahassee, we're joined by Jasmine Rand, an attorney who heads the civil rights division at Parks & Crump Law Firm, which is representing Trayvon Martin's family.

In Orlando, we're joined by the Reverend Glenn Dames, pastor of St. James AME Church in Titusville. He's also president of the North Brevard Ministerial Alliance and former president of the North Brevard NAACP.

We're also joined by Shelton Marshall, president of the Black Law Students Association at Florida A&M University College of Law. The group held a protest on Monday calling for a federal probe into Trayvon Martin's death and also held a meeting with local prosecutors.

And we're joined on the phone by Florida Democratic State Representative Mia Jones of Jacksonville, the chair of the Florida Legislative Black Caucus.

I want to first go to the lawyer for the Martin family to ask you to explain how it is that the shooter has not been arrested, Jasmine Rand.

JASMINE RAND: And I don't think that I can explain why the shooter hasn't been arrested. I think that's exactly why we're on the phone now, why the students are rallying, because there'sthere's no explanation for it, especially with the amount of evidence that we have. You know, I think it's rare in a murder case or a killing case to have this much evidence, to be able to hear, you know, the final moments of Trayvon's life, to be able to hear the 911 calls of Zimmerman.

I mean, in particular, you have Zimmerman calling. You have him reporting a suspicious person. You have the police telling him, ordering him to stand down. And then you have him directly defying the officer's orders and continuing to pursue Trayvon. And, you know, as we heard, we now have the 17-year-old girl that came forward that heard, you know, some of the final moments of Trayvon's life. And what this witness is telling us is that Trayvon was being followed, that he was trying to run. At one point, he lost Zimmerman. What we have is Zimmerman actively seeking this child out with a nine-millimeter.

We also know that Trayvon did not have any type of weapon on him, that Zimmerman outweighed him by 80 pounds. So I think it's a very clear-cut case ofI think it's a clear-cut case of murder. You know, I think the kind of tag line of this case has been: "What's Skittles up against a nine-millimeter weapon?" You have a kid walking home with a pack of Skittles, and you have a grown man following him, pursuing him, with a nine-millimeter weapon. You hear the gunshots, and, you know, you end up with a child dead.

So, I think we have all of the evidence in the world to arrest him. And I think what the state attorney is trying to do is, you know, to try the case and the investigation, and that's not the state attorney's job.

AMY GOODMAN: And what about the phone? How is it that the police had it in their possession, but they never figured out who he was for several days, that his body was not claimed, Trayvon's body, for several days?

JASMINE RAND: I mean, I think it justit shows that the Sanford Police DepartmentI mean, there was either corruption or just woeful ignorance on their behalf. They were calling the family, after losing their child, harassing the parents over his phone, wanting to getyou know, get to his phone, get in his phone. And they had the phone in their possession the entire time. So, you know, there are a lot of questions that I can't answer, because they don't make sense.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
An innocent person is walking down the street and somehow ends up being shot dead and the Florida cops think that's something that doesn't involve them and should be worked-out amongst themselves.

In all the wild west movies I've seen if you shoot an unarmed person dead you have to answer to the sheriff. Apparently Florida is even more lawless than the 1880's west.
Albert Doyle Wrote:An innocent person is walking down the street and somehow ends up being shot dead and the Florida cops think that's something that doesn't involve them and should be worked-out amongst themselves.

In all the wild west movies I've seen if you shoot an unarmed person dead you have to answer to the sheriff. Apparently Florida is even more lawless than the 1880's west.

Depends on the color of one's skin. Had an African-American man shot a deficient in melanin man or woman [more so if a sixteen-year old child] they'd be in prison from moment one with calls for their being summarily executed before trial. It is almost a month and they can't even get the man who admits to shooting Martin arrested or prosecuted. He was briefly 'questioned' and let go free. I think mob justice may just take over. The poor and non-white have no rights and little chance of survival in todays Reich. [URL="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=14&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=trayvon+martin+911+call&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1236&bih=776&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=fGlpT76eKoOBOtuD2ZwK"]Photos of Trayvon Martin
[/URL]
Oklahoma just passed a new law [to come into effect in few weeks, where you can wear a pistol on your waist-belt in full view and use it any instance of PERCEIVED self-defense or to stop what you THINK will be the stopping of the commission of a felony [without punishment]. You can be sure that those so brandishing sidearms like in the wild west will NOT be poor and NOT be non-white. [they will be the ones killed and shot without any recourse to justice or accountability of who did it.] Juries will be asked only if they believed the shooter had reasonable belief they were shooting in self-defense or to stop the commission of a felony - nothing more.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass
AMY GOODMAN: The Justice Department's statement that it's prepared to step in with an independent investigation goes to some length to explain the burden prosecutors will face, noting that, quote, "With all federal civil rights crimes, the government must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person acted intentionally and with the specific intent to do something which the law forbids the highest level of intent in criminal law. Negligence, recklessness, mistakes and accidents are not prosecutable under the federal criminal civil rights laws."

We're going to go right now to State Representative Mia Jones of Jacksonville, who is the chair of the Florida Legislative Black Caucus, joining us on the phone.

The FBI has now said, because of tremendous public outcry, that they're going to step in. Your response?

REP. MIA JONES: As a caucus, we are very pleased that they have chosen to step in. We had also called for our governor to come forward and to get involved and engaged in this process with the FDLE, as well. And so, to wake up this morning and to hear that they are all becoming a part of what's happening and tohopefully, that we will get an impartial investigation underway and that Mr. Zimmerman will be brought up on charges and that the court system would be able to prevail in this matter.

AMY GOODMAN: Can you talk about what's happening right now in the Florida legislature around Trayvon's death?

REP. MIA JONES: Actually, the legislature is out of session, and so we are not actively discussing what's going on. But as a caucus, we have a number of members who have been impacted through their various constituencies, both down in South Florida, where Trayvon's mother is, I understand, and up in the Sanford area, where his father is. And we have 24 members across the state, and we have a commitment to this family that we will stand with them. The legislative process is such that since we are out of session, there's not a whole lot of law changing that can be done, but we know that the laws that are currently on the books in Florida make it difficult for prosecution to go forward. But we believe that this is a clear-cut case, as the attorney has stated. Listening to the tapes, listening to the various witnesses, it's clear that he was not threatened, he was pursuing, and that this was simply a cold-blooded killing.

AMY GOODMAN: Can you explain the "Stand Your Ground" law that is so controversial that is being used as the defense for why Zimmerman has not been arrested?

REP. MIA JONES: Basically that law allows you to use, basically, deadly force if you feel that you're being threatened and in fear of your life. And so, Mr. Zimmerman has claimed self-defense and indicated that that was why he acted the way that he did. And Florida law, being what it is, which I didn't support when we passed it, and I think it's something that needs to be changed. You should not have to wonder, if you're walking down the street, whether or not someone will feel that they are being threatened simply as you take steps to go wherever you're trying to get to. And so, as a legislative body, the caucus will addresslook to address this issue when we go back into session next year. But for now, we just want to make sure that all parties involved, whether it's the sheriff's office in Sanford or whether it's the FDLE or whether it's the Justice Department, but that everyone looks at what role they were supposed to take and that they are held accountable for doing what they are charged with doing.

AMY GOODMAN: We're going to talk more about this law, what some call the "shoot first" law, not only in Florida but in other states, in a moment, but I wanted to go to Shelton Marshall before he has to leave. He is with the Black Law Students Association at Florida A&M. He's joining us from Orlando.

Shelton, you were involved in a protest yesterday. Explain what it is you're calling for, and describe the protest. Who came?

SHELTON MARSHALL: Well, we characterized our event yesterday more as a rally for justice. And our demands were to seek for the imminentthe immediate arrest of George Zimmerman for the death of Trayvon Martin. Our purpose primarily was to bring awareness to the situation. We felt as though, from the outside looking in, there was no transparency. In addition to that, there was continuous attempts to cover up or hide or lack disclosure in a lot of the evidence that was out there. And we, as law students, were concerned because we are the advocates of the daytoday and attorneys of tomorrow. And if this injustice can be done today, what happens when we go out to the legal field and we want to practice, and we have clients we want to defend or we're trying to prosecute on behalf of one of our clients, and we have these laws that inhibit us from doing so?

And one of the major things that we noticed yesterday was that this self-defense claimwe're still wondering where this has come from, because self-defense is a defense to a murder. It's not a all-end-be-all that remedies you from being brought up on charges. It's your defense to claim self-defense in the event that you do engage in a murder or activity, but you're still arrested, and you're still charged. There was no arrest. There was no charge. And the public outcry has been so overwhelming because of this, because it can be anyone. This isn't just a matter that affects the African-American community; it affects the community at large. And we need to recognize that and join in on the movement, because justice for Trayvon is justice for all.

AMY GOODMAN: What about the audio clips that we heard, these 911 tapes that are so chilling? And we didn't play the half of them. The voice that the police are saying they are investigating, saying they don't know whether it's the voice of the shooter, Zimmerman, or the voice of Trayvon.

SHELTON MARSHALL: Well, I think that's utterly absurd, but whenI listened to the tapes no more than twice. I couldn't listen to it more than that. It was like you said: "chilling" was the exact word that I used when I posted after my immediate response. You hear someone crying. You hear someone, outlie, crying for help. And my thoughts are that if a man that weighs almost a hundred pounds more than a child comes to or, how do you say, pursues him with a gun in his pocket, why is he crying out for help? I just don't understand that. But that aside, you hear a child's cry for help. You hear a plea for someone's life. Then you hear a gunshot, and then you hear silence. You hear the life exit from the body of a victim. That is what you hear in that tape. You do not hear a grown man pleading for his life, for his safety, because he's trying to protect the neighborhood.

AMY GOODMAN: Shelton, you're with the Black Law Students Association. You're a law student at Florida A&M, a young African-American man. How has this personally affected you, your friends, folks at the protest yesterday?

SHELTON MARSHALL: I would say that the impact of this has taken on a snowball effect. Initially, a lot of people have contacted me, like, "Is that really happening? Are you all, likedid that really occur in Florida? And like, can people get away with that?" And they thought it was something that was on like a realityI mean, on some type of TV show rather than being reality. And it isit's disheartening to say that I live in an area where this can occur.

Initially, my thoughts were that it's disgusting, that the behavior of the Sanford Police Department and the behavior of the community in relation to this case, that they did not see an issue with the behavior of the police department or the state attorney's office in handling the matter. As an African-American male, I felt as though it was my duty to step up. I have been afforded the privilege of being in a position where I can advocate for those who do notwho are not able to advocate for themselves. And that is my responsibility as an African-American male who is in law school, because if I don't stand for something, who will stand for them?

AMY GOODMAN: Are your teachers talking about this well? Are you discussing this in your classes? And what is your next step after yesterday's protest? And are you satisfied about the FBI, Justice Department stepping in?

SHELTON MARSHALL: I would say that there has been chatter amongst campus about the matter. We are a very diverse campus. Although we attend what's considered a HBCU law school, we still have a diverse group of individuals who have differing opinions on the matter. Has it been the upfront, foremost activity on campus? I would say no. And that's why my organization and other entities on campus took hold of it to promote it, so it wouldn't go by as just something of another black guy who just got killed, you know?

And as far as our next role within this movement, right now we want to serve as a supportive entity, to go to the local rallies that are already being set. We're here not to distract from the movement, but to push if forward and support the rallies that we have on Thursday with Al Sharpton. There's another event on Monday at the City Hall. And we have other local individuals who are doing candlelight vigils and services, in which we want to show up and show our presence. After these series of rallies that are going on in the next few weeks, we'll probably convene to try to do a more national program to bring awareness at local colleges and law schools throughout America.

As far as satisfaction is concerned, like I stated yesterday after the meeting with the assistant state attorney for Sanford, Mr. Pat Whitakerare we satisfied? No, because justice has not been served to Trayvon Martin and his family. Am I somewhat pleased with the national attention that has been brought to it? Yes, I do feel a little bit more comfortable that an outside organization such as thesuch as FBI, Department of Justice, are taking a lead on this matter and doing their independent investigation outside of the state attorney's office and FDLE, because there needs to be oversight in this matter. And one of the things that I was told yesterday that kind ofkind of put me back a little was that they felt as though the Sanford Police Department did a reasonable investigation in the matter. However, the state attorney's office will have to supplement the information to getto formulate proper charges against George Zimmerman. And that showed me that there was some type of lack or inadequacy in what was done in the preliminary matters as it pertains to the death of Trayvon Martin.

AMY GOODMAN: We see at the protest, and we've been showing imagesfor folks listening on the radio, you can see the images on our website at democracynow.orgstudents holding up Skittles. Can you explain, Shelton?

SHELTON MARSHALL: Well, the premise behind thatand in addition to the students from the college of law and my organization, we did have individuals from the local community. And what we're taught in law school, from a theoretical perspective, is that in self-defense you need force for force. And force for force in this case was a pack of Skittles versus a nine-millimeter gun. So, in essence, you're telling me, in Sanford, that a pack of Skittles is a deadly weapon that can warrant you being shot and itand you can claim self-defense. In any other situation, that's not true. You have to meet force with force. You had a larger male who was pursuing a young boy. And in addition to that, you had an individual with a nine-millimeter gun versus one without a weapon at all, a pack of Skittles. And it just shows you the disparity between the twobetween the two concepts of, "Oh, I'm a grown man. I'm claiming self-defense," versus a young child who says that "I'm just trying to walk home." And it doesn't match up. It doesn't make sense. And for them to continuously try to make it sound as if self-defense is the ultimate claim here, it's just ridiculous.

AMY GOODMAN: I want to thank you for being with us. I know you have to leave, Shelton. Shelton Marshall is president of the Black Law Students Association at Florida A&M. And we're going to turn to the reverend in one moment, but I want to play now one of the witnesses of Trayvon Martin's shooting who's speaking out against the Sanford police. In a recent news conference, Mary Cutcher said police have ignored her testimony and rejected the police theory that it was Zimmerman screaming for help.

MARY CUTCHER: My point was, is that I feel it was not self-defense, because I heard the crying. And if it was Zimmerman that was crying, Zimmerman would have continued crying after the shot went off. The only thing I saw that nightI heard the crying. We were in the kitchen. I heard the crying. It was a little boy. As soon as the gun went off, the crying stopped. Therefore, it tells me it was not Zimmerman crying.

AMY GOODMAN: That was witness Mary Cutcher. Reverend Glenn Dames is also with us from Orlando. He's pastor of St. James AME Church in Titusville. He's also president of the North Brevard Ministerial Alliance and former president of the North Brevard NAACP.

Can you talk about what Mary Cutcher is saying, and also your response so far to where this case has gone, from the killing of Trayvon Martin February 26we're talking about weeks agoto the FBI, the Justice Department saying they're stepping in to investigate yesterday, Reverend?

REV. GLENN DAMES: Glad to be here on Democracy Now!

Amy, I think it's clear, just as Mary stated, that this is absurd. How can you say that it was Mr. Zimmerman crying for help, when Mr. Zimmerman was the one holding the weapon the whole time? He was also 80 pounds heavier than Trayvon. That's absolutely ridiculous, and it's sad. It's a sad day when Sanford police dismiss a credible witness in this particular case as being non-credible and not taking seriously her claim. That tells me that this has become a botched investigation, sadly, by the Sanford Police Department. And as I speak to law enforcement individuals who are friends across the state, they tell me privately that this clearly lacks sufficient merit, in terms of the Sanford police investigation. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's sad, because Trayvon is now dead.

But I think what we're doing now, Amy, is we're making sure that we, in essence, bring his voice back from the grave. And so, even from the grave now, we have become Trayvon Martin's voice across the state, across the nation, even internationally. People as far as Japan are tweeting and Facebooking about the tragedy of this particular crime. And so, we're holding rallies. Of course, we had a major rally inlast Thursday in Sanford, and again on Sunday in Titusville, where we drew close to a thousand people, who demanded Mr. Wolfinger bring Trayvon's killer, murderer, to justice, because, make no mistake about it, Mr. Zimmerman is a murderer.

AMY GOODMAN: Reverend Glenn Dames, can you talk about Sanford, give us a history of the community?

REV. GLENN DAMES: Sanford is a town in central Florida that, believe it or not, has a history of doing some things as such questionable investigative practices. And now they have met their match, because the community and the nation has declared that we will not stand for this anymore. This is modern-day lynching. And we have decided that we will not accept what Langston Hughes called "strange fruit hanging from the trees," which was of course African Americans who were hung in that day and time from trees, publicly, for great outcry. And so now we're making sure that this does not happen in 2012. And so, Sanford is a place that is now gaining national attention for a botched investigation.

It's sad thatjust the mere fact, Amy, that Trayvon's parents had to file a missing person's report on their son, who was sitting in the morgue, when Sanford police had the phone in their custody, that tells me that that's insensitive and callous. How do you have a child? You have to know this is somebody's child. You have the phone with you. You have experts. You could have traced the phone. You could have somehow found Trayvon's parents to notify themat least notify them of their son's death. This is absolutely tragic that they could not be the first persons on the scene. His father lived in that particular neighborhood. Why was there not a canvas of every door? Every door should have been knocked on to say, "Hey, we have a young man who's been fatally injured. Can you please help us?" They didn't knock on any doors. They didn't look for witnesses. And now you have a family that's hurt, devastated and disappointmentdisappointed in the Sanford Police Department. That's absolutely ludicrous.

AMY GOODMAN: Unless, Reverend Dames, they thought that the boy was a stranger, that they assumed, the police assumed, that he did not come from the gated community.

REV. GLENN DAMES: How sad it is. I wonder why. Could that be because of the pigmentation of his skin? How dare he be a resident or have family in that gated community? How dare he? Because the color of his skin, clearly, he now is not a resident. Why was that not a first thought? Why did they not assume that he couldn't be there? That's a sad day, a sad commentary, when you have a police department who would assume a young 17-year-old black boy a stranger.

Well, we're here to say Trayvon is not a stranger. He is our son. He is our brother. He is our cousin. He is our family. And you know what? We believe in family, especially in this nation, because we are all brothers and sisters. And so, people of all hues have come together to say that Trayvon, regardless of his color, is our brother, our nephew, our cousin. He is our family. And you know what? We're speaking up for our family member, Trayvon Martin.

AMY GOODMAN: I wanted to bring attorney Jasmine Rand back into this, who works with the firm that's representing Trayvon's family. Can you talk about the state attorney and what he said yesterday, Jasmine?

JASMINE RAND: Yeah, I think the most astounding part of the meeting with the state attorney, to me, yesterday, when we initially sat down to talk to him and we asked him whether or not there was going to be an arrest made, he said that he was continuing the investigation of the Sanford Police Department to see if there was any evidence, enough evidence to prove a claim of self-defense. And when asked whether or not it was his job to prove self-defense or if that was the job of the defense attorney, he told us, "Well, no, that's not really my job. My job is to prosecute." And it wasn't until later in the conversation, when I asked him if he planned on pressing any charges, and if there were to be charges pressed, what those charges would be, he responded to me, "Manslaughter." You know, the fact that he did not begin the conversation by saying, "I'm continuing the investigation to see whether or not there's a claim for manslaughter," he began the conversation by saying, "I'm trying to prove whether or not there's a claim for self-defense" his choice of words, I believe, are indicative of his mindset and indicative of what we've already seen from the Sanford Police Department, that they are investigating this case with a lens of trying to prove self-defense instead of investigating this caseinvestigating the case in a fair, impartial manner to see whether or not there is the possibility of a murder or a manslaughter charge. So, that was alarming to me.

The other thing, the other aspect of our conversation that was alarming to me was that when asked about race, you know, the state attorney just brazenly shook his head and wouldn't even address the issue. He said, "We're not talking about that." But what we heard was George Zimmerman talking about race. You know, we heard him say twice that Trayvon was black. You know, we heard him use expletives. We heard him say, "These blanks always get away with it." You know, some people have said that they heard him use the term "coon" on the audio tape, which is a very obvious racial slur, you know, against African Americans. And we also heard the neighbors come forward and say that, "Yeah, in this particular neighborhood, we look for young black males to be committing criminal activity." And that's exactly what George Zimmerman did that night. He found a young black male that he did not recognize, assumed that he did not belong there, and he targeted him, and he sought him out. So, to say that, you know, "We're not going to discuss race in this manner," in such a brazen term, State Attorney, that is your job. You're prosecuting, and one of your jobs is to look and see if race did play into this, if race was a factor. So, you know, I was disappointed and disheartened by my conversation with the state attorney. And my fear is that we're going to see more of the same from the state attorney that we've seen from the Sanford Police Department.

AMY GOODMAN: I want to thank you very much, Jasmine Rand, for joining us, head of the civil rights division at Parks & Crump Law Firm. We're going to break. Reverend, I'd like to ask you to stay on with us. We're also going to go to Washington, D.C., as we leave Tallahassee, to talk with Caroline Brewer, who's director of communications at the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, to talk about the law in Florida that the police have invoked to say that the shooter, George Zimmerman, should not even be arrested. This is Democracy Now!, a special on the death of Trayvon Martin. Stay with us.

AMY GOODMAN: "Strange Fruit," sung by Billie Holiday, written by Abe Meeropol, the adopted father of Michael and Robby Meeropol, who were the sons of the Rosenbergs, Ethel and Julius Rosenberg. For our radio listeners, during that song, we showed the images of Trayvon Martin, Oscar Grant, Ramarley Graham and Amadou Diallo. And you can go to our website to see that music interlude. This is Democracy Now!, democracynow.org, The War and Peace Report. I'm Amy Goodman.

The killing of Trayvon Martin has brought renewed scrutiny to Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law. Backed by the National Rifle Association, the law expands the right of citizens to claim in self-defense in the killing of others. More than 20 states have similar measures in place. Now Oklahoma is poised to become the first state in seven years to let residents openly display handguns in public.

In a moment, we'll be joined from Washington, D.C., by Caroline Brewer of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. And still with us in Orlando is Reverend Glenn Dames, who is the pastor of the St. James AME Church in Titusville, president of the North Brevard Ministerial Alliance and former president of the North Brevard NAACP.

I want to go to Caroline Brewer. Talk about this law. What exactly does it mean?

CAROLINE BREWER: What the law means is that people who have been licensed to carry concealed weapons can carry those weapons outside of their home in places where they, under the law, have a right to be, and they can use those weapons if they feel that their lives are being threatened or that they have witnessed someone who is about to commit a felony or who is in the commission of a felony.

AMY GOODMAN: The Stand Your Ground legislation, Reverend Dames in Orlandothe Stand Your Ground legislation, was it controversial at the time of the passing? Was the NAACP, was your church, involved with opposing it?

REV. GLENN DAMES: Everybody was involved. Most of the people in the community was always up in rage about this particular law, because we seen it as what some have dubbed it, "the John Wayne law," which means that you can carry your gun and kill anybody at will, and that the burden of proof then no longer lies with you to prove that you felt threatened. This is absolutely ridiculous, and we're calling upon Governor Scott now to repeal this law, on legislators. You heard earlier Representative Mia Jones say that the Black Caucus, the State Black Caucus, black legislators was going to work hard to repeal this law. I think that to be the number one goal. And I think that we should call it Trayvon's reversal, because this is a heinous law that should not be on the books, because, as you can see, you have people use it the wrong way, and it hurts and kills families, destroys them. And at a time when we should be focusing on the family, we don't need people who destroy families with this law.

AMY GOODMAN: Caroline Brewer, talk about the NRA's involvement with it and the legislation that some call the "shoot first" legislation, others call it "Stand Your Ground," that is spreading now, and thewhat exactly is happening in Oklahoma, first state where you can carryyou don't have to conceal your gun.

CAROLINE BREWER: Well, the NRA, back in 1987, was successful in getting Florida to pass the first concealed weapons law. So Florida has been the NRA's utopia for testing terrible gun laws that loosen regulations about who can carry guns and where they can carry guns and how they can use those guns. So this has been going on for quite some time, where the NRA has been able to go to Florida and get the legislators to pass laws that liberalize who can carry guns. And what we've seen on a practical level in Florida is that just a year after the "shoot first" law was enacted, you had an exposé by the Sun Sentinel that found hundreds and hundreds of people who had these concealed carry licenses were people who had criminal backgrounds. They had arrests and had pleaded guilty to assaults, burglaries, child molestation. So you're talking about people who are dangerous, people who are violent. And yet, just within a very short time after the law was passed, Florida had hundreds and hundreds of these people with these licenses to go out and kill somebody else. And pretty much it was their word against the other person's.

And, you know, in the case of Trayvon, he is not alive, but there certainly are other witnesses, and there certainly are many circumstances to indicate that George Zimmerman did go after this young man, that he was not really a threat. But you have this happening in Florida, and you have it happening in states all over the country, where about half the states in the United States have "shoot first" laws. And the majority of states in the United States have some kind of concealed carry law. And right now in the U.S. Senate, just last week a bill was introduced by Senator Begich of Alaska that would allow people like George Zimmerman to travel across state lines and take their guns with them. They would legally be able to carry their guns, for instance, into Times Square. So these peoplethe NRA has been successful in allowing people who are dangerous and are criminal to be able to carry guns and to be able to use them against our families and people in our communities. They have made us a much less safe nation.

AMY GOODMAN: And, Caroline, Oklahoma?

CAROLINE BREWER: I am not up to speed on the recent legislation in Oklahoma, but Iyou know, I do know that there have beenthere has been an effort by the NRA to, once they are able to get concealed carry, then they go for permit-less concealed carry. They keep pushing and pushing until their vision is realized, where just about anybody can get a gun, and they can take that gun anywhere legally, and they can use that gun. So that's what you see being done by the NRA in states all across this nation.

AMY GOODMAN: Reverend, Reverend Dames, there's going to be a town hall meeting tonight. Is that right? It's being held atby the NAACP at the Allen Chapel AME Church on Olive Street in Sanford. Talk about what your plans are here on in, what you're calling for, what actions are being taken in Florida.

REV. GLENN DAMES: Well Amy, there is a rally and a public forum tonight, as you stated, sponsored by the Seminole County, which is the home incident county, branch of the NAACP at the Allen Chapel AME Church. As well, there's also, of course, a major rally on Thursday with Reverend Al Sharpton at Shiloh Baptist Church in Sanford. And there's, of course, scattered rallies in between those times. And as well as Monday coming, the 26th, there is a major rally again at City Hall in Sanford. I'm going to pull that permit today, as a matter of fact, on behalf of our organization to have this rally.

We want George Zimmerman brought to justice. He is a racial profiler. Amy, I'm not sure if you
know, but some more 911 tapes were released, and come to find out that George Zimmerman, in the months leading up to this tragic death of Trayvon Martin, George Zimmerman identified four times a suspicious black male, which in my mind makes him a racial profiler. For those who say race is not an issue in this particular piece, it's not the only issue, but rest assured, it is an issue. As well, he always referred to them as "suspicious." The majority of times, every time he says something, it's always a "suspicious black male." That tells me, in my mind, that George Zimmerman was on a hunting trip, and he was looking to hunt him, what some have heard him say or say that they heard him say, "a coon," in essence. He had these feeling, and for those who try to dismiss them, it's unfair and also an insult to Trayvon's memory. He was racial profiling. And he finally found him a victim in Trayvon Martin, in which he gunned down, needlessly, and did not care about Trayvon or his family, as you can hear the 911 caller say.

AMY GOODMAN: Reverend Glenn Dames, I want to thank you very much for being with us, pastor of the St. James AME Church in Titusville, right near Sanford. And I want to thank Caroline Brewer, as well, director of communications, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
Parents of slain Florida teen to join Million Hoodies March
& No-confidence vote for Sanford police chief

March 22, 2012 by legitgov

Parents of slain Florida teen to join Million Hoodies March
21 Mar 2012 reuters
The father of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed teen shot dead by a neighborhood watch captain in Florida, said on Wednesday he would join A Million Hoodies March in New York to demand justice for his slain son who "didn't deserve to die this evil way." Organizer Daniel Maree said the rally in Union Square Park, north of Greenwich Village, was intended to "put pressure on whoever it takes to charge George Zimmerman and prosecute him." The Justice Department's Civil Rights Division and the FBI said on Monday that they had opened an investigation into the shooting. A state grand jury was also being convened.

Trayvon Martin case: No-confidence vote for Sanford police chief
22 Mar 2012 latimes
In a tense meeting Wednesday that highlighted growing tensions over the shooting death of an unarmed black teenager, local officials in Sanford, Fla., passed a vote of no confidence in the police chief as protests spread north to New York City, where the slain youth's parents joined a Manhattan march demanding the killer's arrest. The no-confidence measure passed 3 to 2 after more than an hour of debate, and though it was not binding, the outcome and the public groans and applause that punctuated the debate underscored the anger pulsing through the Orlando suburb nearly a month after 17-year-old Trayvon Martin's death on Feb. 26.
The Police Chief just 'temporarily' 'stepped down'..but the murderer is still free and NOTHING is moving toward his arrest. The way the law was structured, his saying he FELT that his life was in danger and he fired in self defense - whether either part of that is a lie - is 'defense' enough. Apparently. Sick, sick country. How does this look from the rest of the World?
It look insane. Why on earth is the murderer walking around free? We know things would have been handled quite different if the positions were reversed.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
How ALEC Is Creating Florida-Style Messes in Other States
John Nichols on March 26, 2012 - 12:18 PM ET

Wisconsin is a rod-and-gun state, with a hunting history that has fostered traditions of broad gun ownership and respect for the right to bear arms.

So how did Wisconsin get saddled with a "Castle Doctrine" law that mirrors some of the worst aspects of the Florida legislation that's now at the center of the controversy over the killing of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

Not because sportsmen and women, law enforcement officers, legal scholars or grassroots citizens decided Wisconsin should borrow bad ideas from distant states.

Wisconsin has a "Castle Doctrine" law because the American Legislative Exchange Council, the corporate-funded group that aligns special-interest organizations and corporate donors with pliable legislators, made the Florida law "model legislation." Then ALEC-aligned political insiders such as Assembly Majority Leader Scott Suder, a national ALEC task-force member, and Governor Scott Walker, an ALEC alumnus, introduced, passed and signed "Castle Doctrine" legislationdespite warnings from Wisconsin law enforcement leaders and responsible gun owners that it was a poor fit for the state.

How poor a fit became evident last week, when the district attorney in Wisconsin's Washington County announced that he would not pursue a serious inquiry into the death of Bo Morrison, a 20-year-old Wisconsinite who was shot and killed in the village of Slinger. Morrison, who had been at an underage drinking party that was broken up by the police, was one of a number of young people who ran and hid in the surrounding neighborhood. He was hiding on the porch of an adjacent home when the homeownerwho knew police were in the areashot him in the chest. The DA determined that the homeowner was protected from prosecution by the state's new "Castle Doctrine."

The Wisconsin case is complicated, and no one has suggested that Morrison was a perfect player. But he was unarmed. And there is no evidence that he physically or verbally threatened the shooter. For that reason, the decision of the DA , and the narrowing of options for a proper investigation by the "Castle Doctrine," has provoked outrage from citizens and some legislators. State Representative Chris Taylor, a Madison Democrat and a lawyer who was outspoken in her opposition to the measure last year, now says: "It is heartbreaking that the legislature allowed this reckless law to go forward and now a young man is dead," concluded Taylor. "This law encourages people to resort to vigilantism and use deadly force instead of calling the police. This is a barbaric law that must be immediately repealed."

But how did the legislature enact a measure that is so out-of-synch with the state's traditionally well reasoned approach to gun rights, self-defense protections and the rule of law?

Wisconsin circumstance is like that of many states that find themselves with laws that owe more to the heavy hand of the American Legislative Exchange Counciland the determined lobbying of the National Rifle Associationthan to realities on the ground of the concerns of citizens.

The genesis for the Wisconsin law Wisconsin was a 2005 Florida law, which provided immunity to individuals who use deadly force against unarmed persons whom they imagine to be threatening. The Wisconsin law provides that immunity for shootings that take place on or around dwellings, businesses and vehicles, while the Florida law includes broader "stand your ground" language that protects shootings in public spaces. But the distinction is slimmer than it seems, as Wisconsin statutes extend the definition of a "dwelling" out to porches, fence lines and sidewalks.

Florida's law was sponsored by Republican legislators who were ALEC members. They dismissed explicit and repeated warnings that this measure would encourage shootings like that of Trayvon Martin. The same went for Florida Governor Jeb Bush, who signed the measure and declared it a "common sense" reform.

While the ink was still drying on the Florida law, ALEC moved to take it nationwide. Working with NRA lobbyists and representatives of big retailers that profit from gun sales, ALEC's "Criminal Justice Task Force" (now the "Public Safety and Elections Task Force") developed "Castle Doctrine" model legislation for promotion in other states.

For the most part, ALEC's model legislation is designed to ease taxes and regulations for corporations, while weakening unions and undermining tort laws. But the shadowy Koch brothersfunded networkwhich brings together state legislators who cannot think for themselves with corporate interests and pressure groups that are more than happy to think for thendabbles in electoral and public safety issues.

That's what happened seven years ago, when ALEC's members approved model legislation that mirrored the Florida law's assertion that a gunman can use "deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary."

ALEC-aligned lawmakers in states across the country began promoting the model legislationsometimes in mirror form, sometimes with modest alterationsadvanced. After Republicans gained complete control of state legislatures in states such as Wisconsin after the 2010 elections, the process accelerated. According to the Center for Media and Democracy, which organized the ALEC Exposed project, "Since becoming an ALEC model, sixteen states have passed laws that contain provisions identical or similar to (Florida's law)."

ALEC even highlighted the fight on its "legislative scorecard"giving states extra credit for passing it. Wisconsin did so last fall, when Assembly Majority Leader Suder and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald moved a "Castle Doctrine" bill to the top of the legislative agenda.

Suder and Fitzgerald, of course, deny they are ALEC automatons. But Suder has for a number of years been a member of the ALEC Public Safety and Elections Task Force that taken the lead in promoting the "Castle Doctrine" model legislation. He has also served as ALEC's legislative chairman for Wisconsin. Fitzgerald has been a regular as national ALEC events and went out of his way as he assumed the majority leader position to talk up his enthusiasm for legislative initiatives he learned about at the group's post-2010 election conference in Washington.

Suder, Fitzgerald and Walker advanced the ALEC model legislation in Wisconsin even though the state a strong tradition of respecting "self-defense" claims in shooting cases, and even though the State Bar of Wisconsin's Criminal Law Section argued that new legislation was unnecessary to protect homeowners from unfair prosecutions. Indeed, Marquette Law School Professor Gregory O'Meara, a former chairman of the Criminal Law Section, warned with regard to the "Castle Doctrine" proposal that: "It could actually give a presumption in favor of a murderer."

What happens when legislators pass laws without considering their consequencesor the unique circumstances of the state in which they are being passed? The Florida Department of Law Enforcement suggests that killings that have gotten a "justifiable homicide" pass have tripled since Jeb Bush signed that state's law. And as Representative Taylor noted after the Washington County prosecutor deferred to the "Castle Doctrine" in the Slinger, Wisconsin, case, "Now a young man, like in Florida, has been killed, and a family mourns the loss of a son. What a senseless tragedy."

Florida may have been the pioneer. But thanks to the American Legislative Exchange Council, it is now just one of many states, including Wisconsin, that have enacted variations on the "Castle Doctrine." These laws are not products of the political or legislative processes of sovereign American states, nor are they smart extensions of necessary protections for gun ownership. They are one-size-fits-all legislative "fixes" for problems that never existedimposed upon states that now must deal with the messes that ALEC creates.
On the TV news today, on MSNBC, it was announced that the lead dectective of the Sanford Police Department, on the day of the shooting, wanted to arrest George Zimmerman to be held on the charge iof manslaughter. The then State Attorney blocked this and Zimmerman was allowed to leave the Police Station with his clothes and gun. The lead detective filed an affidavit citing his action in the matter. Since then a special attorney was appointed by the Governor of Florida to conduct an invstuigation.

Sorry that I don't have all the names, but it should be on the news tomorrow morning..

Adele
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  True Relationship Between Crime and Law Enforcement Peter Lemkin 3 4,968 05-01-2015, 10:43 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Yet ANOTHER case of wrongful convictions! Many convicted are convicted for being poor and Black. Peter Lemkin 0 2,614 05-09-2014, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Drone Lawyer: Kill a 16 Year-Old, Get a Promotion Magda Hassan 3 3,052 23-06-2014, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Incredible & Disgusting Double Standard of 'Justice' For Rich and Poor / Black and White Peter Lemkin 5 4,673 03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  drinking booze when pregnant could be made a crime in the UK David Guyatt 1 2,278 23-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Report on CIA Torture Has Now Been Suppressed for 1 Year by Obama & Co. Peter Lemkin 0 2,098 17-12-2013, 07:57 PM
  Is Encryption Becoming a Crime?!...rather than a 'best practice'?! Peter Lemkin 0 2,053 16-12-2013, 09:21 PM
  NYPD Gets Their Man - Errr, Seven-Year-Old - After Ten Hours of Questioning Keith Millea 3 3,412 05-02-2013, 09:28 AM
  Attorney General Eric Holder wasted a two-year investigation on CIA misdeeds ... Bernice Moore 0 2,304 04-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Bernice Moore
  No Crime Committed [!!??!!] In CIA Torture Tape Destruction Say Investigators Peter Lemkin 0 3,013 10-11-2010, 08:19 AM