Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don Jeffries Rear Ended Auto Accident
I just found this thread, so forgive me for not posting earlier. Thanks for the kind comments.

I am fine physically, but look over my shoulder even more than ever now. It was my first auto accident, in over 40 years of driving. The kid at the wheel was probably just texting and being careless, but this kind of thing happens way too often, and it tends to happen to people like me, and not those who write "safe" books.

In the aftermath of my accident, I was shocked (and frightened) to learn that important researcher and author Dave McGowan had suddenly, and I do mean suddenly, developed a very deadly form of cancer. A few months later, and according to his brother Craig, he really has very little time left. We're talking Jack Ruby-style galloping cancer. Dave is younger than me, and again this is a sober reminder of the cost that seems to come with doing this kind of work.

Could my accident have been just that? Of course. Could Dave have just gotten cancer like so many others do? Of course. But then what about writer Nick Bryant, who wrote the Introduction to Dave's book and wrote his own book about the Franklin child sex scandal? According to Craig McGowan, Nick was diagnosed with cancer at the same time as his brother, and was in the Mayo Clinic. I can find no further updates about him, but he appears to be well enough to tweet.

My book Hidden History is filled with accounts of unnatural deaths of those who threatened the rich and powerful in some way. Thus, it was quite sobering to confront my own mortality that night, as I stood there dumbfounded on the side of the road, desperately hoping I'd suffered no internal injuries. It truly becomes surreal when it's your own experience you are scrutinizing.

Ironically, I've been asked by several interviewers if I have had death threats, or whether I fear for my life. Knowing what has happened to others, it's impossible not to have that cross your mind. But as I told them, if we have to be scared of being killed for giving our opinions, or stating simple historical truth, then we've already lost. Someone has to stand up and say what needs to be said.

Messages In This Thread
Don Jeffries Rear Ended Auto Accident - by Don Jeffries - 26-09-2015, 11:16 PM