Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mary moorman interview tues.24th..6.pm radio
Hi all,

The Brass Armadillo, where Mary Ann Moorman's interview took place on May 24, is only about half an hour from where I live, so I went down there for the webcast.

By now the interview has been posted to the iantique website, so I won't belabor any of that. But I did get to talk with Mrs. Moorman for a few minutes afterward.

First, I should point out I've never been interested in where Mary Moorman was standing when she took her famous photo, so my questions about that were probably not too incisive.

During the webcast, Moorman told interviewer Gary Stover that she stepped into the street twice, to take pictures of two motorcycle cops in the motorcade, both of whom she knew. Stover then asked if she stepped into the street for her JFK photo. My scribbled notes have her replying, "I'm pretty sure I stepped back just on the very edge of the curb to get on the grass." (This is more or less accurate but I should probably check it with the video.)

In any case, I thought this answer was a little ambiguous. She stepped back before or after taking the picture? Stepped back after taking one of the cop photos? So after the webcast, I asked her about this explicitly. She told me that she took the picture from the curb, adding that between the presidential limo and the motorcycle cops there wasn't a lot of room in the street. It wasn't safe.

One of the themes of the May 24 interview, it seemed to me, was discrediting Jean Hill. I know many find her a problematic witness. I don't have a strong opinion about her. Haven't read The Last Dissenting Witness.

I was especially interested in comparing the Hill and Moorman accounts of being taken to that press room by Jim Featherstone. In particular, I wanted to ask her about one Jean Hill's statements, which I re-read a few nights before in the WC volumes.

I'd scrawled an abridged version of this statement into my notes, which I read to Mrs. Moorman. Jean Hill is telling the WC about her encounter with a man she took to be a Secret Service agent. "They keep saying three shots," she testified telling this man. "I said, I know I heard more…he said, Mrs. Hill, we heard more shots too, but we have three wounds and we have three bullets, three shots is all that we are willing to say right now.'" [WC vol. 6, pp. 220-21.]

Moorman told me she had no recollection of this exchange. But she acknowledged the scene was very chaotic. She could have missed it.

I chatted briefly with Mrs. Moorman before the interview began, too. I found her sitting alone at a small table near the set, signing copies of her picture. They were being sold for two bucks, and I bought one. (I hesitate to relate this anecdote. I do not think Mrs. Moorman makes a habit of signing and selling cheap prints of the picture. The copy I bought had a Brass Armadillo sticker on back, so I think she was asked to do this signing.)

Messages In This Thread
mary moorman interview tues.24th..6.pm radio - by John Kelin - 26-05-2011, 04:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Victoria Adams Interview By Mort Sahl 1966 Brian Doyle 1 483 05-01-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Oliver Stone interview Milo Reech 0 1,390 27-12-2021, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Milo Reech
  Jeffries' Frazier interview Richard Gilbride 1 1,460 11-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Richard Gilbride
  Mary's Mosaic: Entering Peter Janney's World of Fantasy Jim DiEugenio 420 210,851 13-10-2019, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Collins Radio Connection to JFK Assassination - Bill Kelly (revised) Peter Lemkin 15 9,617 20-05-2019, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Post Script Episode 9: Black Op Radio Jim DiEugenio 2 15,437 14-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Last Post: Bill Fite
  Stunning Interview with Mort Sahl Jim DiEugenio 1 5,079 28-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Last Post: James Lewis
  Did Katzenbach ever explain his now infamous memo either in his memoirs or interview? Edwin Ortiz 4 4,747 16-03-2018, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride
  My FightBox interview on JFK, Tippit, document releases, etc. Joseph McBride 0 6,991 22-11-2017, 07:13 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride
  Sylvia Meagher's interview on KPFK, January 1967 Paul Rigby 3 13,152 13-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio