Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Politics of Heroin in Afghanistan
Keith,
I recognise your response as being a common one and particularly so from persons who have been involved in the military. There are many good people in the military who have signed up with the best of intentions to do their duty even putting their lives on the line. For the most part there is no reason that the average grunt should ever knowingly come into contact with these sorts of black operations. I was in the military myself and I did meet many fine people there. True warriors in the best sense of the word. Unfortunately they are not all like that. Some are just there because it has more interest or perks than other parts of the Public Service. Like any other institution there is also corruption and criminal behaviour by some persons. Others are there because they have deep seated psychological issues. What would be personal flaws and short comings in the wider society can often be useful in the military. Some of the oddest people I ever met there were in Psychology Corps. All the tests they do during induction they have a pretty good idea of everyone's strengths and weaknesses and they deploy you accordingly.

I'm not sure of the US military law but the very little bit of military law I remember being taught (Australia) we were told that even if we think (or knew) something was wrong we had to carry out our order or we would be arrested and end up in the brig. We could take the issue up with another authority later and then maybe the person who gave us that wrong order would be made to account for it but it was really stressed that orders must be followed. Like the Nuremberg trails never happened and there is no Geneva convention. They seem to matter for nothing. Also, the hierarchical and clearly power based structure and culture of obedience in the military inhibits a questioning mind and action. "Ours is not to reason why ours is but to do or die". Plus "That is on a need to know basis". I used to hear that all the time there. For many in the military they live eat and sleep there. It is not just a job but a whole life. An institution that goes to every corner of your life if you want it to. Bonds are strong. To think that people you know and live with and work with, who have been approved by the higher ups might be involved in something that you personally find morally reprehensible may never cross your mind. If the shadow of a thought manages to enter your mind there are many reasons and incentives to rationalise it away.
span.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Messages In This Thread
The Politics of Heroin in Afghanistan - by Magda Hassan - 18-10-2008, 02:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shift from Afghanistan to Burma for opium Magda Hassan 7 20,945 12-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Danny Jarman
  In the wake of Afghanistan's poppy fields re-planted Drew Phipps 1 8,883 05-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  Britain's Turkish heroin trade - a "protected" business David Guyatt 0 4,364 19-12-2013, 12:47 PM
  Deep cannabis politics Greg Burnham 24 23,668 28-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Afghan Heroin Myths and Facts Recapped & Simplified for Mainstream Followers Magda Hassan 1 4,905 25-05-2012, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  US-CIA Heroin Transit Base Proven Magda Hassan 1 4,101 20-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Jan Klimkowski
  Russia Offers Steps To Fight Drug Production In Afghanistan Ed Jewett 0 3,603 05-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ed Jewett
  The Power(s) Behind Afghan Heroin & the Real Profiteers of the International Drug Trade Magda Hassan 0 3,728 29-08-2011, 03:49 PM
  British Troops Allegedly Transporting Heroin on Military Aircraft Ed Jewett 6 5,422 14-09-2010, 11:08 PM
  Can the US Triumph in the Drug-Addicted War in Afghanistan? (PDS) Austin Kelley 1 4,052 05-05-2010, 01:57 PM