Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Averell Harriman - anyone know anything?
Marc Ellis Wrote:--
If Harriman was running Vietnam policy by himself, why would his corporate-industrial rival, Brown/Haliburton reap so many rich defense contracts there while Harriman's Dressier industries would be left out?

good question Marc.

Not sure this video gets to any of that (just found it, just watching it myself) but check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DiZrYdHzQ4

The only "answer" i could offer to throw your way would be that Harriman had his hands in so many corporate pockets that he may not have even needed to tarnish his reputation by involving his most immediate going concern in the war. Thus he could maintain the facade of "disinterestedness" while in reality he probably had his hands pretty deep in several interests that were profiting off the war.

With regards to his possible Russian sympathies ... I think it is safe to say that establishment members as high up as Harriman don't lay their interests solely on one side of the fence. Harriman was a banker, and just like Rockefeller and Morgan (whose bank Harriman actually controlled until the early-mid 20th century -- Guarantee Trust Co.), I'm sure he had ways to both make money and further his interests on both sides of a conflict.

Messages In This Thread
Averell Harriman - anyone know anything? - by Nick Rose - 15-01-2014, 07:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  John Barbour: Averill Harriman ordered the assassination Lauren Johnson 30 30,567 18-03-2019, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Cliff Varnell