Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FBI Evidence Proves Oswald's Ammunition was not Capable of Sufficient Accuracy to Kill JFK
The loss of accuracy seems to vary quite widely among and within the different models of Carcanos, as reported by many different rifle owners. In the link I posted to,

http://kegisland.com/carcano-ammo-warnin...tizan.html

the author reports some extremely wild shots from shooting .2635" diameter bullets from his Carcano short rifle, and a grouping of several feet at a 50 yard target. His situation may have been complicated by the fact the Prvi Partizan 6.5mm Carcano cartridges he was shooting were loaded with a 139 grain semi-pointed bullet instead of the 162 grain round nosed bullet originally loaded for this rifle. This may have increased the freebore at the throat of the rifle barrel and given each bullet a poor beginning at the entrance to the barrel.

Most results are not nearly as dramatic as the results in this article. Often, it is reported that, at a 100 yard target, shooting undersized bullets will result in a grouping of up to a 10 inch circle, and shooting the proper .268" bullets will allow the same rifle to shoot a 1.5" grouping at 100 yards.

As the author states he is shooting a Carcano short rifle, and has, with the Prvi Partizan .2635" ammunition, witnessed full keyholing of a bullet at a target only 7 yards from him, it has just dawned on me there me be something else going on here. "Keyholing" is when a bullet loses stability, usually from a lack of spin, and begins to tumble through the air. If it hits the target side on, as it tumbles, it will leave an oblong "keyhole" hole in the paper target. This is, as I said, an extreme result, and it may indicate he was actually shooting one of the carbines made by cutting down the barrel of a long rifle. These were the most inaccurate Carcanos, as the long rifle "progressive twist" rifling was destroyed in this process, and these carbines were never considered accurate, even with the correct ammunition. Then again, it is believed that a good number of the 6.5mm Carcano M91/38 short rifles were made by the same process.

Another possibility, and one not unheard of, is that the author is in possession of a 7.35mm Carcano short rifle (M38), and not a 6.5mm Carcano short rifle (M91/38), and is totally unaware of the mistake he has made. These two short rifles are virtually indistinguishable. While he tells us the benefits of shooting the properly sized Hornady .268" bullets in a 6.5mm Carcano, he never actually tells us what his results are of shooting these bullets. As the 7.35mm cartridges and the 6.5mm cartridges are identical (except for different calibre bullets) the 6.5mm cartridge would easily be loaded and fired in a 7.35mm rifle. A difference of .85 mm in bullet diameter would produce very dramatic results. I am just happy the author did not try to shoot a 7.35mm cartridge in a 6.5mm rifle, as he may not have survived the experience.
Mr. HILL. The right rear portion of his head was missing. It was lying in the rear seat of the car. His brain was exposed. There was blood and bits of brain all over the entire rear portion of the car. Mrs. Kennedy was completely covered with blood. There was so much blood you could not tell if there had been any other wound or not, except for the one large gaping wound in the right rear portion of the head.

Warren Commission testimony of Secret Service Agent Clinton J. Hill, 1964

Messages In This Thread
FBI Evidence Proves Oswald's Ammunition was not Capable of Sufficient Accuracy to Kill JFK - by Bob Prudhomme - 28-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the case against Oswald was legitimate Gil Jesus 0 182 04-07-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Gil Jesus
  The Fiber Evidence Gil Jesus 0 228 10-06-2024, 11:49 AM
  Evidence of a Frontal Shot --- Part V/Conclusion Gil Jesus 0 343 05-03-2024, 02:07 PM
  Evidence of a Frontal Shot --- Part IV / The X-Rays Gil Jesus 0 271 02-03-2024, 02:16 PM
  Evidence of a Frontal Shot --Part III: The Autopsy Photos Gil Jesus 0 295 27-02-2024, 01:40 PM
  Evidence of a Frontal Shot --- Part II / The Exit Wound Gil Jesus 0 333 14-02-2024, 01:31 PM
  Evidence of a Frontal Shot --- Part I / The Entry Wound Gil Jesus 0 336 06-02-2024, 02:32 PM
  Why the Government's Case Against Oswald is BS --- Part III Gil Jesus 0 467 10-12-2023, 12:08 PM
  Why the Govenment's Case Against Oswald is BS --- Part II Gil Jesus 1 518 28-11-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  Why the Government's case against Oswald is BS --- Part I Gil Jesus 1 549 15-11-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle