Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New History Channel Series "Hunting Hitler"
I saw it. Frankly, I was a bit underwhelmed. They look like a bunch of serious guys: a Nazi hunter, some Special Forces guys (I think one of them was the "I shot Bin Laden" guy), a couple historian/researchers. But they didn't really give any worthwhile background. Some magical software thingy sieves through 700 pages of declassified FBI "Hitler sightings" docs and out pops a location, so they go there.

The baffled locals deny there are/were Nazis around, and the investigators conclude "they are still too scared to talk after 70 years." (I was kinda thinking that verb tenses are the first thing that gets lost in English/Spanish translations.) They found a school with a Nazi Eagle painted on it, and a Nazi former administrator; so this 80 old guy talks in Spanish about being forced to march around...but he uses the words, "eins, zwei, drei..." so it is apparent that he actually heard a German guy marching people around the school. (That was actually the high point of the show for me, but the investigation team didn't make any apparent note of that.)

They found a small concrete underground "bunker" (or "root cellar", depending on who's describing it), that may, or may not, be a common feature of Argentinian rural architecture. Previews indicate finds of larger structures, scuba diving for planes or subs, etc. It has been known for 70 years that many ex-Nazis did, in fact, take root in Argentina after the war. And the show has indeed proven that the FBI kept an open file on Hitler sightings. However, there was not a shred of anything specific to Hitler (beside the aforementioned FBI documents) in the footage.

I'm going to follow it for a while longer. Perhaps future shows will flesh out any more official or unofficial "Doubting Thomases" about the death (chief among whom appears to be Stalin himself, that bulwark of bourgeoisie credibility), and past fact-finding efforts by anyone more reputable.
"All that is necessary for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing." (unknown)

James Tracy: "There is sometimes an undue amount of paranoia among some conspiracy researchers that can contribute to flawed observations and analysis."

Gary Cornwell (Dept. Chief Counsel HSCA): "A fact merely marks the point at which we have agreed to let investigation cease."

Alan Ford: "Just because you believe it, that doesn't make it so."

Messages In This Thread
New History Channel Series "Hunting Hitler" - by Drew Phipps - 12-11-2015, 11:31 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coronaviris Pandemic - an inflection point in human history? Peter Lemkin 32 27,150 19-06-2020, 08:40 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  Everything they taught you about history.......was......WRONG!! [mostly by omission] Howard Zinn Peter Lemkin 0 3,649 02-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Hitler's Post War Life Lauren Johnson 0 12,001 19-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Lauren Johnson
  When history Harry Dean 1 10,558 17-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Mark A. O'Blazney
  The 'truthiness' of politicized history Tracy Riddle 2 5,471 27-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  Son of Hitler's/Nazi Art Dealer Dead Shortly After Coming to Public Attention Peter Lemkin 15 11,083 29-12-2014, 11:03 AM
  Hitler's skull? It's female... Jan Klimkowski 67 40,224 16-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Last Post: R.K. Locke
  The lacunae in my old school history books Malcolm Pryce 15 7,654 02-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Jim Hackett II
  The Secret History of the CIA - L. Fletcher Prouty Adele Edisen 3 4,907 01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Tracy Riddle
  American Crucifixion: The American Holocaust Which Hitler Copied Adele Edisen 1 3,857 31-03-2013, 09:54 AM