Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Fisk on the middle east wars
Quote:Israel's historical amnesia cannot be justified or accommodated by others
"In 1516, the Ottoman Empire invaded the Mamluk Sultanate of Egypt, conquering Syria, and incorporating it into its empire"
"By AD 640, Syria was conquered by the Arab Rashidun army led by Khalid ibn al-Walid"
"Syria briefly came under Armenian control from 83 BC, with the conquests of Tigranes the Great, who was welcomed as a savior from the Seleucids and Romans by its people. The Armenians retained control of Syria for two decades before being driven out by the Romans."
"The AchaemenidPersians took Syria from Babylonia as part of their hegemony of Southwest Asia in 539 BC"

Magda, how far back would we like to go? Historical amnesia in Syria is not the provenance of the Israelis... Conquer and expand has been the human condition since the first people picked up a stones or sticks and killed those trying to take their food, or steal their women, or whatever other cause you'd like to name.

No, it is not right or just... yet to start the clock running on Syria the day after Israel declares itself a nation is to push historical amnesia to its limit.

Quote:What I get from Fisk's article is that everyone in the region, Arabs, Jews, Beduin etc, have suffered due to the historical meddling by France and Britain.

I'm sorry but that's not what I get when I look at the article as a whole.

I read an awful lot of anomousity toward Israel in that article... with virtually no mention of the long history of abuses to the people of that region from all sides for all of time.

The Assyrian Empire conquered most of the "Kingdoms" in that geogrphical area.... including Israel... should Israel's borders be returned to the days of Solomon and David because of the unjustness of the conquering kingdoms?

the Kingdom of Israel was eventually destroyed by Assyrian king Tiglath-Pileser III around 750 BCE.

Beginning with the campaigns of Adad-nirari II from 911 BC,[SUP][2][/SUP] it again became a great power over the next three centuries, overthrowing the Twenty-fifth dynasty of Egypt and conquering Egypt,[SUP][2][/SUP] Babylonia, Elam, Urartu/Armenia, Media, Persia, Mannea, Gutium, Phoenicia/Canaan, Aramea (Syria), Arabia, Israel, Judah, Edom, Moab, Samarra, Cilicia, Cyprus, Chaldea, Nabatea, Commagene, Dilmun and the Hurrians, Sutu and Neo-Hittites, driving the Ethiopians and Nubians from Egypt,[SUP][2][/SUP] defeating the Cimmerians and Scythians and exacting tribute from Phrygia, Magan and Punt among others

Magda,
What exactly does one expect within a Kingdom establishing what ultimately would become known as "colonies" after the defeat of another Empire... ?
To me, the article appears to be blaming Israel's current situation on that decision... borders do not define the hatred of a jewish state Magda...

I hope you see that.
DJ
====

This is quite a good presentation and gives us all a good idea of the turmoil of that region over 3500 years... including the FACT that a Kingdom of Israel existed over 3000 years before the establishment of an Israeli state and only 2700 years after Abraham. When the Jews finally escaped Egypt, they too fought and founded their own Kingdom... only to lose it to a succession of Empires.

http://www.mapsofwar.com/ind/imperial-history.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5752[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   kingdom of Israel 800 BCE.jpg (Size: 274.33 KB / Downloads: 13)
Once in a while you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.....
R. Hunter

Messages In This Thread
Robert Fisk on the middle east wars - by David Josephs - 05-03-2014, 02:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Inside Scoop on the Middle East & Israel by Ray McGovern David Guyatt 0 4,061 23-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Last Post: David Guyatt
  US Exports Rocketed Since 9/11: $5 Trillion for Wars Financed by the American Taxpayer David Guyatt 0 3,546 19-10-2016, 11:30 AM
  US Defence Contractors Get Hot Over Surge in Mid-East/African Conflict Level David Guyatt 0 5,349 08-12-2015, 02:16 PM
  ISIS, ISIL, IS, IRONY. Robert Fisk on Obama's middle eastern policy. David Guyatt 3 4,841 04-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  'We need more wars' Magda Hassan 0 2,431 21-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  UNMANNED - America's Drone Wars - New Film!! Peter Lemkin 2 3,343 01-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  No More WARS Mr. President Jim Hackett II 25 9,906 03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Kenneth Kapel
  USA Will Continue Wars As Long As Dollar Remains Reserve Currency Adele Edisen 5 3,906 30-09-2012, 03:55 AM
Last Post: Adele Edisen
  Comedian Robert Newman's History of Oil Magda Hassan 0 2,079 31-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  No Wonder We Keep Having Wars... Adele Edisen 0 2,654 31-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Adele Edisen