Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism" by Naomi Klein
Charles Drago Wrote:It's late night for me, so I'll go short and sweet on this one.

I'm tempted to think of both OKC and TWA 800 as proschemata -- opportunities afforded an ostensibly clueless Clinton to do what Bush ultimately did (in the most passive sense) when he invaded Iraq in the wake of 9-11.

Clinton didn't take the bait. The ante was upped. The towers were downed.

A toast: I give you the war.

I too admire and respect Ms. Klein. But I'm not certain her deep politics shovel can penetrate bedrock. Hence the absence of OKC and, if I'm not mistaken, Dallas, Memphis, and Los Angeles from her magnum opus.

I tend to agree with Charles here, that those listed (and many others we could list) fall into the shocks of the type Klein had presented. Her book is a tour de force, in that it underlines and presents a new way of analysis - it is wanting in the examples. Take that as a minor criticism that I hope others (or she herself) will correct. Her recent talks on how the current 'financial collapse' was one such a Shock in order to change the Order of Things tells me she 'gets it' on some level. Having presented the new lens with which to look at such events, it is up to us to apply that to the events we know. I'm not even aware if she is 'up to speed' on some of the events listed above. She has made her contribution and we now have a more clear way to do analysis and move her conceptualization forward.

Messages In This Thread
"The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism" by Naomi Klein - by Peter Lemkin - 26-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEATH OF A NATION: 9/11 and the Rise of Fascism in America Anthony Thorne 11 23,734 07-09-2017, 05:54 AM
Last Post: Anthony Thorne
  Disaster Capitalism: Making a Killing out of Catastrophe Peter Lemkin 1 6,927 09-10-2015, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Call it Capitalism: Review of Inherent Vice, by Thomas Pynchon Magda Hassan 1 3,356 15-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Keith Millea