Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mary's Mosaic: Entering Peter Janney's World of Fantasy
Jim,

Your vision is impaired.

So too are your abilities to read for subtext and reason logically;.

My reference to the "couldn't control him" quote was sarcastically expressed negative criticism of Janney's work -- or at least most of it. Your inability to grasp this is, in a word, Fetzer-esque.

If there was humor there, it was so subtly expressed that it was negligible. Therefore to jump from that to compare me with Fetzer is in a word, unjustified.

Let's talk about change -- of sort that JFK may have experienced during his presidency. But first let's try to add basic logic to your reading skill set.

Even if JFK did not evolve intellectually or spiritually during his presidency -- which is to say, even if he was an enlightened humanist before January, 1964 and experienced unprecedented stasis in the areas thereafter -- this tells us nothing about his willingness to act in ways contrary to said enlightenment.

In other words, he may have been willing to compromise his values -- for reasons relating to electoral politics and/or geopolitical strategies, for instance -- to the degree that he was rightly or wrongly perceived to be "controllable" during a meaningful portion of his presidency. It's the "any more" construction that is most important here.

Now, my understanding of the human mind and the human spirit leads me to conclude that your argument regarding JFK's unchanging attitudes in certain critical areas over the final three-plus years of his life is utter balderdash. I am as familiar with his youthful embraces of enlightened/liberal political and social standards as I am with his later Cold Warrior posturings.

This is so qualified, so limited, so ill defined that I really don't know what to say. Let me be clear, as Burnham said, Kennedy was enlightened way before he got to the White House. And he was at loggerheads with the Dulles/Ike foreign policy credo numerous times in the fifties. Just read his magnificent 1957 speech on Algeria. Then, in 1961, he began turning things around almost immediately in Congo, Laos, Vietnam and Indonesia. (BTW, this will be the centerpiece of my book this fall.) The only place I can find where this was excepted was Cuba. But when the opportunity came, he took advantage of it. And it had nothing to do with Mary Meyer. It had everything to do with Donovan and Castro. Now, In Janney's book, which I don't think anyone here has read, there is not one word about any of this 1951 -1957 education. And he calls JFK a Cold Warrior when he became president. Which is so ignorant as to be ludicrous. To use just one example,if that were the case, Kennedy would have sent in the Navy at Playa Giron. He did not. Instead he fired Dulles, Bissell and Cabell.

JFK's heroism is best understood as his positive response to the changes roiling internally. The stasis for which you argue has no basis in centuries of observation -- scientific and spiritual -- of the human condition.

Kennedy's heroism, if you want to call it that, was that when he was in Saigon in 1951, he did not want to listen to the canned briefings by the French emissaries there to meet him. He ditched them and found a young man named Edmund Gullion who had a good reputation from the State Department. There, he got his education about how democracy vs. communism was really a cover for imperialism versus nationalism in Vietnam. That is a lesson he never forgot. Which is why Gullion was moved into the White House in 1961, and Kennedy broke with the Dulles/Eisenhower precedent in a matter of weeks.

And that history lesson turns the whole Janney/Leary line into a gallon bottle of snake oil.

[/QUOTE]

Messages In This Thread
Mary's Mosaic: Entering Peter Janney's World of Fantasy - by Jim DiEugenio - 28-06-2012, 10:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alan Dale chats with Peter Dale Scott about the JFK assassination - a good read Anthony Thorne 2 4,831 18-10-2018, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  Millicent Cranor on the Mary Woodward coverup Joseph McBride 0 3,248 24-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Last Post: Joseph McBride
  Perfect Storm: A Conversation with Peter Levenda Lauren Johnson 1 3,208 14-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  William Pawley, the Kennedy Assassination, and.......... by Peter Dale Scott Adele Edisen 21 10,873 11-02-2017, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Anthony Thorne
  John F. Kennedy's letter to his alleged mistress (Mary Meyer) is up for auction Drew Phipps 51 23,585 24-06-2016, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Mark A. O'Blazney
  Mary's Mosaic: Toward Consensus Charles Drago 20 13,210 14-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Mark A. O'Blazney
  Are the Peter Janney interviews of Dino Brugioni available anywhere? Chris Bennett 0 2,461 20-02-2016, 01:01 AM
Last Post: Chris Bennett
  New Peter Dale Scott interview on DALLAS '63. Anthony Thorne 1 3,251 01-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  Jimmy Ferrell, son of Mary passes. Dawn Meredith 8 6,897 28-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Dawn Meredith
  America left behind: The world integrates the Dallas coup into its narratives of post-WWII Paul Rigby 3 3,272 18-11-2015, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Paul Rigby