Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lance deHaven Smith's Conspiracy Theory in America
http://www.ctka.net/reviews/cta.html

A flawed but interesting book.

I especially liked the section on the history between Beard vs Popper and Strauss. And how that paved the way for the neocons and neolibs who avlued the state above all. ANd once in power, they did their best to discredit any kind of Beardian critical historiography.

It helped explain why both those groups have spend a real effort on discrediting any kind of critical movements.
I've ordered this and am awaiting my copy. There are numerous books available (far too many) that snidely dismiss the notion of conspiracy theories, and a much smaller number that take the topic of conspiracies and cover-ups seriously. One of the few other books I can think of with a thoughtful approach similar to the dehaven Smith volume reviewed above is THE ROUGH GUIDE TO CONSPIRACY THEORIES, which was recently released in an updated third edition. I have an earlier edition and recommend it - (the only negative reviews on Amazon are from folks upset with its supposed 'left-wing bias', something hard to avoid when a majority of American conspriacies are tightly linked to the commercial / corporate wing of the Republican party).

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Guide-Conspi...y+theories
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:http://www.ctka.net/reviews/cta.html

I especially liked the section on the history between Beard vs Popper and Strauss. And how that paved the way for the neocons and neolibs who avlued the state above all. ANd once in power, they did their best to discredit any kind of Beardian critical historiography.

It helped explain why both those groups have spend a real effort on discrediting any kind of critical movements.

From the review:

Quote:As most people who study histiography know, after Beard's death in 1948, the influence of Strauss, Popper, and especially Hofstadter, did much to deflate his reputation. Popper and Strauss, although different in their approaches, both advocated the limiting of liberal tendencies. Because both men believed that liberalism contained an inherent strain towards nihilism because of its extreme form of moral relativism. There was a nihilism of two types. One which tended towards the totalitarian rule of Nazism and Marxism; and one which was more gentle, which featured a permissiveness which bordered on hedonism which would sap the energy of society. (p. 79) Under the considerable influence of these two men, plus Hofstadter, academic studies of government now became more quantitative and behavioral in their approach. Beard's work, which was much more pragmatic and value oriented, fell into eclipse. Under deHaven-Smith's intellectual analysis, he maps out how Popper's teachings led to neoliberalism and those of Strauss led to neoconservatism. It should be added here that in his brilliant film, The Power of Nightmares, director Adam Curtis came to the same conclusion: namely that the work of Strauss, and its critique of liberal permissiveness, helped turn people like Irving Kristol and Paul Wolfowitz against the "permissive society" of Kennedy and Johnson. And helped convince them that to revitalize national unity, one had to have an international enemy. This was first the Soviet Union, and then the threat of Moslem terror. The author adds that Popper was probably the first person to use the term "conspiracy theory' as a pejorative. This was in his two volume work The Open Society and its Enemies. And Strauss wrote about, the "noble lies" which must be maintained in order to preserve society. (p. 100) There is little doubt that these two men had an impact in academia; and an even larger impact outside it.

Karl Popper links directly to George Soros and his Open Society front.

"Trader" Soros made his money by "breaking the Bank of England", and now funds "Orange revolutions".

I went hunting for Adam Curtis' fabulous Power of Nightmares online, and found endless "BBC Worldwide has blocked this video on copyright grounds" notices.

If you can find it online, it's time very well spent.
"It means this War was never political at all, the politics was all theatre, all just to keep the people distracted...."
"Proverbs for Paranoids 4: You hide, They seek."
"They are in Love. Fuck the War."

Gravity's Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon

"Ccollanan Pachacamac ricuy auccacunac yahuarniy hichascancuta."
The last words of the last Inka, Tupac Amaru, led to the gallows by men of god & dogs of war
That part of the book is really interesting intellectual history, which these days, is really kind of rare.

And Lance did a nice job on that topic.

Everyone, and I mean, everyone should see The Power of Nightmares.

One of the finest documentaries of recent years, maybe decades. Not just for what it says about Strauss and the origins of the neo con movement, but also as a beautiful piece of film making.
I'm also a big fan of NIGHTMARES. The originally scheduled Australian broadcast of the series was bumped when the 7/7 bombings happened the same morning. Of course, when SBS TV finally found the balls to put the show back on, they had Australian 60 Minutes journalist George Negus come on right after the closing credits to herald an upcoming BBC documentary the following week that would 'refute' the Curtis documentary.
Jan Klimkowski Wrote:
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:http://www.ctka.net/reviews/cta.html

From the review:

Quote:As most people who study histiography know, after Beard's death in 1948, the influence of Strauss, Popper, and especially Hofstadter, did much to deflate his reputation. Popper and Strauss, although different in their approaches, both advocated the limiting of liberal tendencies. Because both men believed that liberalism contained an inherent strain towards nihilism because of its extreme form of moral relativism. There was a nihilism of two types. One which tended towards the totalitarian rule of Nazism and Marxism; and one which was more gentle, which featured a permissiveness which bordered on hedonism which would sap the energy of society. (p. 79) Under the considerable influence of these two men, plus Hofstadter, academic studies of government now became more quantitative and behavioral in their approach. Beard's work, which was much more pragmatic and value oriented, fell into eclipse. Under deHaven-Smith's intellectual analysis, he maps out how Popper's teachings led to neoliberalism and those of Strauss led to neoconservatism. It should be added here that in his brilliant film, The Power of Nightmares, director Adam Curtis came to the same conclusion: namely that the work of Strauss, and its critique of liberal permissiveness, helped turn people like Irving Kristol and Paul Wolfowitz against the "permissive society" of Kennedy and Johnson. And helped convince them that to revitalize national unity, one had to have an international enemy. This was first the Soviet Union, and then the threat of Moslem terror. The author adds that Popper was probably the first person to use the term "conspiracy theory' as a pejorative. This was in his two volume work The Open Society and its Enemies. And Strauss wrote about, the "noble lies" which must be maintained in order to preserve society. (p. 100) There is little doubt that these two men had an impact in academia; and an even larger impact outside it.

Karl Popper links directly to George Soros and his Open Society front.

"Trader" Soros made his money by "breaking the Bank of England", and now funds "Orange revolutions".

I went hunting for Adam Curtis' fabulous Power of Nightmares online, and found endless "BBC Worldwide has blocked this video on copyright grounds" notices.

If you can find it online, it's time very well spent.

Interesting Jan. I saw that powerful video several years ago. I even recall that I saved it. I will hunt around after work day today. Terrible if it can no longer be viewed. It connects a lot of important dots.

Dawn
Try here:

https://archive.org/details/ThePowerOfNi...oldOutside

No guarantees. You might have to fool around with settings. Click on the Prefer question under the screen.
Richard Coleman Wrote:Try here:

https://archive.org/details/ThePowerOfNi...oldOutside

No guarantees. You might have to fool around with settings. Click on the Prefer question under the screen.

Or scroll down. There are different file formats for download.
Guido Preparata's book The Ideology of Tyranny, which I cannot recommend highly enough, discusses some of these issues in a most interesting way. Preparata argues that Strauss' reputation as "The father of Neoconservatism" is somewhat overstated, and traces the philosophical lineage of the Neocons back to Bataille and Hegel via Alexandre Kojève.

What's most interesting is that he also traces the postmodernism of the left back to Bataille (and eventually de Sade), via Foucault. It is a complex and compelling argument that is difficult to summarise in a concise fashion, but I would be interested to know if anyone else here has read it and has any thoughts. I found it to be hugely enlightening.
R.K. Locke Wrote:Guido Preparata's book The Ideology of Tyranny, which I cannot recommend highly enough, discusses some of these issues in a most interesting way. Preparata argues that Strauss' reputation as "The father of Neoconservatism" is somewhat overstated, and traces the philosophical lineage of the Neocons back to Bataille and Hegel via Alexandre Kojève.

Thank you! excellent news. I'll put that on my must buy list.

R.K. Locke Wrote:What's most interesting is that he also traces the postmodernism of the left back to Bataille (and eventually de Sade), via Foucault.
There is a special ring of Dante's hell reserved for the Post Modernists. Right next to the Social Democrats.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Alt.Conspiracy.JFK Google Group Brian Doyle 0 296 21-11-2023, 04:47 PM
Last Post: Brian Doyle
  DiEugenio Betrays Conspiracy Research Brian Doyle 1 470 07-07-2023, 04:32 PM
  The Conspiracy to Kill Lee Harvey Oswald --- Conclusion Gil Jesus 1 607 01-04-2023, 04:23 PM
  The Conspiracy to Kill Lee Harvey Oswald --- Part IV Gil Jesus 0 441 26-03-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Gil Jesus
  The Conspiracy to Kill Lee Harvey Oswald --- Part III Gil Jesus 0 487 15-03-2023, 11:34 AM
  The Conspiracy to Kill Lee Harvey Oswald Pt. 1 & 2 Gil Jesus 0 443 08-03-2023, 01:28 PM
  JFK Conspiracy for Younger Generations Cliff Varnell 1 2,665 02-06-2019, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Cliff Varnell
  JFK and Far Right Conspiracy Rhetoric Jim DiEugenio 4 8,984 02-01-2019, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Scott Kaiser
  A Theory On The Genesis Of The Plot Peter Lemkin 2 11,138 05-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  rootclaim - Estimating the Probability of Conspiracy vs. LHO Acted Alone Bill Fite 11 9,669 29-04-2018, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Phil Dagosto