Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inhumanity To One's Fellow Man Enshrined Into Law In Florida [and elsewhere]
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Nov. 4 (UPI) -- Police in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., cited three people, including a 90-year-old man, for feeding homeless people in a park, the first such charges under a new city ordinance.

A law went into effect in the city Friday limiting outdoor public feeding areas, requiring permission from property owners and that portable restrooms be set up.

The first three people charged under that law were 90-year-old homeless advocate Arnold Abbott and two pastors, Dwayne Black and Mark Sims. The three men were stopped from feeding homeless people on Fort Lauderdale Beach on Sunday.

"One of the police officers said, 'Drop that plate right now,' as if I were carrying a weapon," Abbott, who runs a nonprofit group called Love Thy Neighbor, Inc., told WPLG-TV, Miami. "It's man's inhumanity to man is all it is."

Abbott successfully sued the city in 1999 when it tried to stop him from feeding the homeless on the beach.

"I'm going to have to go to court again and sue the city of Fort Lauderdale -- a beautiful city," he said. "These are the poorest of the poor, they have nothing, they don't have a roof over their heads. How do you turn them away?"

The three men could each face up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine for the citations.
"Let me issue and control a nation's money and I care not who writes the laws. - Mayer Rothschild
"Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience! People are obedient in the face of poverty, starvation, stupidity, war, and cruelty. Our problem is that grand thieves are running the country. That's our problem!" - Howard Zinn
"If there is no struggle there is no progress. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and never will" - Frederick Douglass

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Florida Town Fires Entire Police Force Albert Doyle 0 4,146 14-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle