Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bridge of Spies: Spielberg and the Coen Brothers Punch Up History
My belated review of Bridge of Spies.

http://www.ctka.net/2016/bridge-of-spies...story.html

I was actually being kind to the film, as there were many other things I could have scored it on.

But I wanted to center on the double standard, one for Oliver Stone, and one for Hanks, Spielberg and Clint Eastwood.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:But I wanted to center on the double standard, one for Oliver Stone, and one for Hanks, Spielberg and Clint Eastwood.
Thank you for taking this tack. I quite like Tom Hanks in some of his earlier work like Forrest Gump and Philadelphia but his later work has become so much propaganda shilling for empire as to make Leni Reifenstahl blush.
"The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it." Karl Marx

"He would, wouldn't he?" Mandy Rice-Davies. When asked in court whether she knew that Lord Astor had denied having sex with her.

“I think it would be a good idea” Ghandi, when asked about Western Civilisation.
The previews alone look like myth-making propaganda. Hanks has done so much of this kind of stuff over the last 20+ years.
Tracy Riddle Wrote:The previews alone look like myth-making propaganda. Hanks has done so much of this kind of stuff over the last 20+ years.

I never liked Tom Hanks. And I see that I have a good reason to still not like him Smile
A good player on the one-touch propaganda football team...
I think you were way too kind on the film, Jim. Bridge Of Spies was deathly dull, even with all the fictional accoutrements and artificially upped ante it was somehow completely bereft of tension.

What's even more amazing is some reviews I've read have been critical of Spielberg for being too harsh on the US and the CIA. This, in a movie which is essentially an advert for the primacy of Western values in general and the US Constitution in particular, features Donovan fawning over Dulles during their meeting, and constantly (and often clunkily) contrasts US goodness freedom with USSR evil and repression.

In respect of historical accuracy, you make a very good point about the double standards of the media (as you did in Reclaiming Parkland). Some critics even praised BoS for being so historically accurate.
I have to agree with Jim's critique, particularly the problems with the timelines. I don't recall seeing a graphic on the screen telling us that it was 1960 when Powers was shot down or when his trial took place. The movie seemed to jump from the late fifties to the early sixties where Powers was concerned. Was there even a mention of the effect on the summit meeting?

I guess we won't be seeing "The book of the film" for this one like we did for JFK.
Phil:

That's an interesting question.

Because I looked at the credits in several places, like IMDB. Which is usually quite complete.

I could not find the source material, Strangers on a Bridge there.

If that is true, then what these guys did is really something.

They clearly used that book as a source. But they then disguised their use of it and then dubbed the film as Inspired by True Events.

See, they want to have it both ways.

Sorry Stevie and Tommy. I'm not buying it.
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:Phil:

Because I looked at the credits in several places, like IMDB. Which is usually quite complete.

They clearly used that book as a source. But they then disguised their use of it an dibbled the film as Inspired by True Events.

Yes…… 'Inspired' by true events. That sounds like it was inspired by their legal department. Didn't Stone have to call his film "a modern myth" before its release? Faction by any other name. When are these filmmakers going to start producing documentaries ?
Jim DiEugenio Wrote:Phil:

They clearly used that book as a source. But they then disguised their use of it an dibbled the film as Inspired by True Events.

And the goofs section doesn't have anything on the anachronism of Donovan meeting with Dulles at CIA after Dulles had been fired. But they do helpfully point out that

"Several pieces of Wedgewood china are seen in a cabinet in Dulles' office. The pattern is "Columbia Sage Green & Gold", which was not made until 1966. ".

OK - good to know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Kennedys and Civil Rights: How the MSM Continues to Distort History Jim DiEugenio 15 15,956 15-11-2018, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  OUR HIDDEN HISTORY podcast on JFK and Tippit murders Joseph McBride 1 10,233 22-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin
  CNN Disservices History Jim DiEugenio 12 20,833 17-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Jim DiEugenio
  Fake news (or history) from the Smithsonian Joseph McBride 9 7,146 05-01-2017, 02:54 AM
Last Post: Magda Hassan
  411 Elm Street's mysterious history Tracy Riddle 4 5,803 04-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Demand For "Hidden History" Results in Second Print Run Don Jeffries 1 1,961 26-03-2015, 04:52 PM
Last Post: Albert Doyle
  My New Book "Hidden History" Don Jeffries 38 10,827 26-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Drew Phipps
  Doug Horne's recently uploaded Altered History FFF videos Tony Szamboti 15 7,466 22-10-2014, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Gordon Gray
  Altered History series by Doug Horne Martin White 0 2,028 08-10-2014, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Martin White
  Is there a way to download all of one's available posting history? David Josephs 5 4,571 15-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Peter Lemkin